2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

wheel spacers - which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/14 | 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

wheel spacers - which is best?

I am needing to get some wheel spacers for my 2013 GT. I see tons of different ones out there, but I am not sure which to get.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Last edited by texasgtguy; 6/10/14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 6/10/14 | 12:50 PM
GTR Member

No spacers are best.

What do you need the spacers for?
Old 6/10/14 | 05:43 PM

Go with ones that offer hub-centric lips.
H&R offers quality spacers, check out blowfishracing.com, I believe he has a few H&R ones listed.

I plan on going with H&Rs spacers up front once I go 295/35/18 tires all around.
Old 6/10/14 | 05:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Personally I'd go with wheels that don't need spacers.
Old 6/10/14 | 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

These...

(2) 25mm (1") 5x4.5 to 5x4.5 Hubcentric Wheel Spacers for Ford Mustang Edge Ranger Explorer by Precision European Motorwerks http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU7HYR0/..._Yn6Ltb036C575
Old 6/10/14 | 07:36 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
These...

(2) 25mm (1") 5x4.5 to 5x4.5 Hubcentric Wheel Spacers for Ford Mustang Edge Ranger Explorer by Precision European Motorwerks http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU7HYR0/..._Yn6Ltb036C575
Why would you make such a specific suggestion when the OP hasn't stated what he needs them for?
Old 6/10/14 | 07:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Why would you make such a specific suggestion when the OP hasn't stated what he needs them for?
Lol because he made such a general question, without clarifying, I'm just throwing darts in the dark...
Old 6/11/14 | 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Go with hubcentric spacers. They are more expensive than standard spacers but will provide a more accurate mounting of your wheel to the car and reduce potential for vibration.

I'm running non hubcentric spacers now and it took some playing around to get them centered perfectly. Picked them up from late model restoration.

Don't worry about the guys giving you a hard time for wanting wheel spacers, it's your car, you can do what you want.
Old 6/11/14 | 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I was needing them because I purchased some of the caliper covers from American Muscle and needed the spacers so they would clear the wheels
Old 6/11/14 | 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by texasgtguy
I was needing them because I purchased some of the caliper covers from American Muscle and needed the spacers so they would clear the wheels
You probably only need like 1/4" right?
Old 6/11/14 | 07:43 PM
GT Member

I just today installed wheel spacer in the front of my car, With APR extended studs all around and 2" lug nuts.
If you go more than 1/4" you need extended lug's

Mustang Maximum Motorsports 1/4" Thick 5-Lug Wheel Spacers - $50
APR 3'' extended lugs $225
Gorilla's aluminum racing lug nuts $100

Name:  IMG_1596.jpg
Views: 2158
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1606.jpg
Views: 3077
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1613.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  66.9 KB
Old 6/11/14 | 07:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by racksteris
I just today installed wheel spacer in the front of my car, With APR extended studs all around and 2" lug nuts. If you go more than 1/4" you need extended lug's Mustang Maximum Motorsports 1/4" Thick 5-Lug Wheel Spacers - $50 APR 3'' extended lugs $225 Gorilla's aluminum racing lug nuts $100
Yup
Old 6/12/14 | 04:27 AM
FR500 Member

I just received Eibach 1" spacers, and the studs are pre-installed. My new Ford Racing Boss 302S wheels arrived yesterday also, and I did a test fit of the spacers....studs and lugs are perfect fit. But these are factory wheels so a/m wheels might be different.

But I'm hoping I don't need the spacers since the wheel has what appears to be a pretty deep offset or backspace or whatever the correct term is.

I'll know tomorrow when the wheels get installed along with 1" lowering springs.

Tom
Old 6/12/14 | 07:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Did you grab the shocks and struts too? The Koni STR.Ts are still on sale. I would highly recommend doing this when you do the springs...
Old 6/12/14 | 08:17 AM
FR500 Member

Did you grab the shocks and struts too? The Koni STR.Ts are still on sale. I would highly recommend doing this when you do the springs...
For the time being the 1" lowering is for cosmetic reasons only and I want to get an idea of the ride quality as is with the new change.

I realize that if I change other suspension items it'll cost more in labor but modding a brand new car is a learning curve.

My Mustang isn't intended to be a daily driver, unless of course it's sunny and warm daily. But this is NJ so that's not going to happen. Hell, I've only driven it once with the top up in a little over the 3 weeks since I took delivery.

But I have an idea of how I want it to look first, and I'm anxious for the new wheels and lower stance.

I just retired, and at 62 the likelihood of doing this again is slim, so I plan on having my Mustang as long as I am able.

At some point I may feel it necessary to make other changes, but I'm lucky to have lots of time.

I must say, the friendliness and advice I've received on this forum makes the ownership experience of my Mustang so much more enhanced.

Tom
Old 6/12/14 | 08:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
For the time being the 1" lowering is for cosmetic reasons only and I want to get an idea of the ride quality as is with the new change. I realize that if I change other suspension items it'll cost more in labor but modding a brand new car is a learning curve. My Mustang isn't intended to be a daily driver, unless of course it's sunny and warm daily. But this is NJ so that's not going to happen. Hell, I've only driven it once with the top up in a little over the 3 weeks since I took delivery. But I have an idea of how I want it to look first, and I'm anxious for the new wheels and lower stance. I just retired, and at 62 the likelihood of doing this again is slim, so I plan on having my Mustang as long as I am able. At some point I may feel it necessary to make other changes, but I'm lucky to have lots of time. I must say, the friendliness and advice I've received on this forum makes the ownership experience of my Mustang so much more enhanced. Tom
Lol oh Tom...those are the famous last words. Remember your "I haven't even made a payment yet" post? It's too late sir. You've already been bitten by the mod bug, and your age has nothing to do with it. If you want to keep your sanity and money intact, stay far away from this website!

Just look at Burton (From Z to 5)...he literally said the exact same thing as you regarding just doing springs and it not being his daily driver. When he finally switched to the Koni Yellows, he asked me why he hadn't listened to me for 2 years and now he's supercharged.

Sure, take it one step at a time, but I'm just trying to save you install costs. Being a vert, the stiffer springs aren't going to ride well with the stock shocks and struts, and they are going to wear out quicker. Fact. With my 2014 (which hasn't even been delivered to the dealer yet) I was planning on getting the Koni Oranges since it's just going to be a daily driver and probably never see a track. Guess what, the cost difference of the yellows made me just go for it, because it will be worth that extra $200. I did the Eibach Pro-kit on my old '00 V6 without shocks and struts - that last a week before I ordered the KYB AGX (I'd never buy those again by the way) and wasted two install fees when I could've just had one.

But I digress, I know what it's like to want to pace yourself with mods. This will be my 3rd Mustang however, and I said "to hell with that!"
Old 6/12/14 | 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I rest my case
Attached Thumbnails wheel spacers - which is best?-image-1213870670.jpg  
Old 6/12/14 | 08:48 AM
FR500 Member

I rest my case

I have the Eibach Pro-line springs and from what I've read, they're supposed to be a bit more tame than the SportLines and they won't need camber bolts, but I will need camber and toe adjustments. I love the slammed look on Mustangs, but it doesn't suit my needs....not now anyway. With age comes wisdom, and I've learned never to say never!!!!

I guess I really won't know until after tomorrow.....

Thanks for all the input.

Tom
Old 6/12/14 | 11:57 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by texasgtguy
Have you test fit them to be sure you need the spacers?

I would ditch the caliper covers if you have to use spacers to get wheel clearance.
Old 6/12/14 | 12:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I rest my case
Hey that's me! I can also chime in on the springs and shocks/struts...

I only have the konis on the front so far and I cannot wait to get them on the back. I tried to lower my car the "right" way so I bought konis. Little did I know that they would be just as good a mod as the springs themselves. Probably the best money I've spent on my car.

My last car was an '02 v6 and it had the pro kit on it, but stock on all other suspension pieces. By 100,000 miles the thing road really rough, and now I know how much konis would have help.

Just my .02!

Ps can't wait to get my mustangs butt on the ground and to have konis at all four corners

Quick Reply: wheel spacers - which is best?