2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/10, 01:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only time i get wheel hop is if the advance track is turned on.. ie. tc / sport mode..

if everything is off.. no hop at all and alot of time the *** squats and takes off when shifting,

i think alot of the wheel hop is from the brakes being activated by the tc setup. but then again i havnt run the car with DR's at the track yet..
Old 1/21/11, 11:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
So how come none of the magazines and other road tests mention the wheel hop problem? Do the GT500s have this problem?

It's pretty horrible in my Brembo package car and my first order of business this spring is fixing that. I can't even get rubber in 2nd gear without a shudder of wheel hop.

Can anyone suggest the best LCA kit? How likely is this to fix the problem?

What's involved with the install? Can it be done in a garage without a lift?

FWIW I have always reas that this has been a Mustang problem since the beginning.... one reason why I have always preferred MoPars from the old days.

Last edited by MRGTX; 1/21/11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 1/21/11, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
It's pretty horrible in my Brembo package car and my first order of business this spring is fixing that. I can't even get rubber in 2nd gear without a shudder of wheel hop.
Same here... after I get an exhaust on my car I can't wait to start working on the footwork!
Old 1/21/11, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

So how come none of the magazines and other road tests mention the wheel hop problem? Do the GT500s have this problem?

Can anyone suggest the best LCA kit? How likely is this to fix the problem?

What's involved with the install? Can it be done in a garage without a lift?

FWIW I have always reas that this has been a Mustang problem since the beginning.... one reason why I have always preferred MoPars from the old days.
I can't tell you what the "best" is because there are options and different reasons to run various types. I have most every style of arm made, and I'd be happy to help, but just won't sit here and say "run this one" because frankly that's a cop-out and would be the easy, but not the right thing to do.

Call me, I can help. 814-849-3450
Old 1/21/11, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I've seen YouTube vids of 2011 GTs launching on the street, some with wheel hop and some with the factory ESC kicking in. Are you guys sure you are experiencing wheel hop? Or could it just be the traction control trying to regain traction?
Old 1/21/11, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
in. Are you guys sure you are experiencing wheel hop? Or could it just be the traction control trying to regain traction?
Positive its wheel hop - if I floor it in 1st or 2nd gear, I can feel the back end bouncing around, trying to grab for traction, and I feel like the motor is making plenty of noise but not really moving the car as fluidly as it does (in 3rd or 4th, w/out wheel hop). Mind you, the weahter isn't ideal for street tire traction w/ so much torque... the past few months its been under 40 degrees where I live...

... can't wait till I get some suspension on my 5 oh!
Old 1/21/11, 07:58 PM
GT Member

I haven't noticed any wheel hop in the gt500. I don't really try to put the pedal to the metal in the rain with that car though but I've had plenty of unintentional spins in the rain (heck in the dry too). I do get some serious wheel hop in my 69 Skylark in the rain and I've put tubular upper and lower control arms on that (A-bodies use 4-link rear suspensions). It does silky smooth spins/burnouts on dry pavement though. I used to get wheel hop on any surface in my 95 GMC sonoma...It did it so bad I lost the rear view mirror...twice! My passengers always thought that was funny...violently bouncing along and ending up with a mirror in their lap!