Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/10, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Hop

I recently put a Brenspeed 93 octane tune in my car. It seems like the extra 30 hp/tq has given me some pretty violent wheel hop when I floor it in first or second. I have done a little research and I still have some questions...

1) It has been rainy since I tuned it. Could this be the reason and I am just over-reacting?

2) Why wheel hop and not just spinning tires? I was thinking this was because wheel hop = almost have traction and spinning = no traction but idk...

3)LCAs and UCA or just LCA? Will 2010 fit? Steeda says it is the same part.

Thanks for the help. I do not floor it all the time, but since the tune the last few times have either hooked well or had real bad hop. It really bothers me and I do not want to break something due to the rear end hopping.
Old 8/12/10, 08:48 AM
GT Member

it should wheel hop on wet ground. You think thats bad, lay rubber in reverse..like a bouncing basketball.
Old 8/12/10, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Before the tune the TB rolled open which avoided shocking the rear tires and suspension.
Now that its tuned you have to control this with your right foot.

As for the suspension the stock UCA is supposed to be longer. That doesnt mean the Steeda UCA wont fit. Depends on the mounting points. The LCA will definately fit.

Tire hooks, overpowers rear suspension, unloads tire which spins, which unloads the suspension, which allows tire to hook which overpowers suspension, etc. Anything that removes deflection in the rear suspension or slows down the loading / unloading (Stiffer Shocks) will help.
Old 8/12/10, 09:07 AM
GT Member

Thanks for chiming in Gene, you always seem very knowledgable. So it looks like I will have to either spend $130ish for some LCAs and install them or I may just go back to stock tune for now... Dont know what the wife will say... Tune was only $75, don't know if I want to spend more for 30hp/tq when stock is still sooooooo satisfying.

Plus I can always save for a few months and get a full suspension and then re-load the tune.
Old 8/12/10, 09:16 AM

So it'll help to just replace the LCA's and not the UCA? Would it be better to do both? Sorry, I'm a newb to modding cars.
Old 8/12/10, 09:56 AM
GT Member

Going back to less power never works.. I have tried it for gas mileage purposes and was back to the race tune within a week. Just slap some LCA's on there and have fun.

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Thanks for chiming in Gene, you always seem very knowledgable. So it looks like I will have to either spend $130ish for some LCAs and install them or I may just go back to stock tune for now... Dont know what the wife will say... Tune was only $75, don't know if I want to spend more for 30hp/tq when stock is still sooooooo satisfying.

Plus I can always save for a few months and get a full suspension and then re-load the tune.
Old 8/12/10, 10:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The answer to just replace the LCA just doesn't make sense to me. I guess I just don't understand how putting the same part in, just lighter weight will cure this issue. Unless the LCAs are adjustable then you might want to do both just for better parts, new LCAs and an adjustable upper. I would like to know more on this subject as well. I am no expert, just looking at things from an on paper stand point.
Old 8/12/10, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

Although every car/set-up reacts a bit differently, I fixed all my wheel hop issues by just replacing the LCAs (still running the stock UCA, but have a Roush sitting in the garage). Even after the supercharger install, my car hooks up great

Last edited by Doogie; 8/12/10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 8/12/10, 10:25 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
The answer to just replace the LCA just doesn't make sense to me. I guess I just don't understand how putting the same part in, just lighter weight will cure this issue. Unless the LCAs are adjustable then you might want to do both just for better parts, new LCAs and an adjustable upper. I would like to know more on this subject as well. I am no expert, just looking at things from an on paper stand point.
It's not just the LCA's but their bushings that are part of the problem. The aftermarket or GT500 LCA's have stiffer bushings which limit wheel hop, but at the expense of more road noise/harshness.
Old 8/12/10, 10:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats the problem having more power than the car can put down on the street. Most of these guys are running drag radials who are getting low 12's with their tunes. Unless you are going to run the streets with DR's you are not going to hook and the power is wasted but is great for bragging rights. No different than a guy with a 12" shlong but never can get a date. Start modding the suspension just to hook and then your ride is terrible for 99% of the time when your not at WOT. I think the best tune would be one that eliminated throttle lag, stiifened up shift points (auto) and raised the rev limiter yet retained hp that was useable on the street.
Old 8/12/10, 11:00 AM
GT Member

Well it looks like it was the damp roads. Took it out for lunch, its like 94 and dry, and floored it in 1st and 2nd and it hooked immediately. Spun a little, but thats normal. So, I will try to take it easy in the low gears with wet roads. I will get a full suspension upgrade someday, but I can wait. Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it. Dont know what I was thinking when I was about to get rid of my Brenspeed tune. Its awesome!!!
Old 8/12/10, 11:00 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by kona stang10
You think thats bad, lay rubber in reverse..like a bouncing basketball.
Why would you ever even try that in reverse?

That's a real quick way to tear up a ring and pinion.
Old 8/12/10, 01:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
It's not just the LCA's but their bushings that are part of the problem. The aftermarket or GT500 LCA's have stiffer bushings which limit wheel hop, but at the expense of more road noise/harshness.
I got ya. What about with spherical bearings? Any help there with NVH?
Old 8/12/10, 01:41 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I got ya. What about with spherical bearings? Any help there with NVH?
Yeah, the spherial bearings will definitely help make more NVH...
Old 8/12/10, 01:50 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Why would you ever even try that in reverse?

That's a real quick way to tear up a ring and pinion.
Steve McQueen maneuver?

Old 8/12/10, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
No different than a guy with a 12" shlong but never can get a date.
Hey, leave me out of this!

Old 8/12/10, 02:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Steve McQueen maneuver?

Yeah, but Steve didn't care if he tore up the car, just had to catch that charger...
Old 8/12/10, 02:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Yeah, but Steve didn't care if he tore up the car, just had to catch that charger...
None the less, also had some wheel hop while doing it!
Old 8/13/10, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

There is nothing wrong with changing only LCA's, or only the UCA for that matter. Either might well cure his hop, though it's more likely the lowers would). You can change all of them if you want, but it's more money and nobody at this point has an upper that does not require you to change the UCA bracket as well.

I'd recommend lowers. There is shortage of options for those either. Just between the UMI and Steeda's I carry there are plenty, *PLENTY* of options. I'd be happy to help you with the options if you like.
Old 8/13/10, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

LCA are a must. You will also always get some hop on wet roads as well.
Do Not go back to the stock tune. That is such a waste!

If you put tubular LCA's on it with some high durometer bushings, you should be good to go. Get some from CHE. Cheap and some of the best made.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hop