Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wheel & Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/14, 04:14 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wheel & Brake Upgrade

I'm driving a 2012 GT Premium with 15k mi on the stock Pzeros and their shot, so time for some updating. I think I've done my homework. Stop me if you think I've messed something up and it's not gonna work.

Here are my requirements:
I'm staying on 18" Rims
Go wider
Stay around the same height/diameter
All Season (Yes I know, but I want All season, not summer)
Same tire size on all 4
Pull the TPMS sensors from my old wheels
Bigger/Better Brakes

Here is what's on my list
AMR Charcoal Wheel in a 18x9"
Michelin Sport A/S 3 P255/45 ZR18
Ford Racing M-2300-S 14" Brake Kit

Links to example parts
http://www.americanmuscle.com/charco...18x9-0512.html
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Speed+Rated%29
http://www.americanmuscle.com/svt-brakekit-0509gt.html
Old 3/16/14, 04:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Thought about putting winter tires on your OEM wheels and going with summers on the new wheels? A good set of summers really makes a difference...

Otherwise, looks good. I'd recommend looking for Brembo brake take-offs (I believe there is a set over on BossMustangsOnline.com) to potentially save a few $ and still get a great brake setup.

Curious if you're interested in the brakes for only street or for tracking? If you just want better braking, consider getting an upgraded set of pads. They make a huge difference...
Old 3/16/14, 06:06 PM
GT Member

Adding some summer only tires later is an option next season, but for the moment I'm going all seasons. For take offs, I think the BOSS Brembos require 19" tires. The Ford Racing brakes are basically GT 500 4 piston Brembos (14" Rotors instead of th 12.6 on the GT). My stock GT brakes are wearing out fast as well (pretty hard on them with all the curves/hills around here).
Old 3/16/14, 06:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by skramblr
Adding some summer only tires later is an option next season, but for the moment I'm going all seasons. For take offs, I think the BOSS Brembos require 19" tires. The Ford Racing brakes are basically GT 500 4 piston Brembos (14" Rotors instead of th 12.6 on the GT). My stock GT brakes are wearing out fast as well (pretty hard on them with all the curves/hills around here).
Brembo's are the same as GT500 4-pistons. I have 18" GT500 wheels on my car as my track wheels. Clear the calipers just fine. Some 18's may not clear depending on the design...
Old 3/16/14, 07:06 PM
GT Member

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a set.
Old 3/17/14, 06:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only 15K on the Pzeros and they were "shot"? I replaced mine at 45K, and could have squeezed another 2 to 3K if I wanted.
Old 3/17/14, 11:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
Only 15K on the Pzeros and they were "shot"? I replaced mine at 45K, and could have squeezed another 2 to 3K if I wanted.
I went through two sets of the Pirellis before switching it Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Neither set of Pirellis lasted 30k even with every 5k rotations. Not sure how you got so much out of yours Bucko!
Old 3/17/14, 11:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't really see the point in bigger brakes with all season tires...
Old 3/17/14, 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I don't really see the point in bigger brakes with all season tires...
Considering that tires can do wonders for braking... I'd also agree that upgrading to a BBK wouldn't be money well spent. Unless your tracking often... You'd be better off with new pads and stickier tires.
Think of it this way... skidding on two piston calipers clamped down is the same as skidding on 2 piston brembos...

Horsepower means nothing without traction...
Big brakes mean nothing without traction.
Old 3/17/14, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Krohn
Considering that tires can do wonders for braking... I'd also agree that upgrading to a BBK wouldn't be money well spent. Unless your tracking often... You'd be better off with new pads and stickier tires.
Think of it this way... skidding on two piston calipers clamped down is the same as skidding on 2 piston brembos...

Horsepower means nothing without traction...
Big brakes mean nothing without traction.
Issue isn't skidding, it's brake fade. Lots of hills and spirited driving for hours on end = brakes getting softer. That's why I'm looking for a better brake setup. That's also one reason why the tires only lasted 15k.

But also, I drive 12mo a year. The summer tires probably aren't going to help me out right now on 45 degree days in the wet, right? I'll buy summer tires later.

Or maybe I do have it wrong and Summer tires work fine in the wet, even at cold temps above freezing?

Last edited by skramblr; 3/17/14 at 07:23 PM.
Old 3/17/14, 11:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Many summer tires work as good or better then all seasons do. Many summer tires are optimized for wet and dry performance. Most summer tires should never be used below 40*F, and you should be careful below 50*F. You can probably get away with using the on dry pavement under those temps, but never on snow or ice.

Just don't get a "summer tire" that's really a race tire in disguise. Most will say that whether it's designed for maximum dry traction (and just enough wet traction to be road legal) versus actually performing well in both types of weather. For instance, I run BFG Sport Comp-2 tires on my Focus during the summer. I typically use these tires until it's consistently below freezing, or we get a significant amount of snow that sticks (then I switch to the winter tires). They perform just fine down to the freezing point, they just start to lose a little grip as it gets colder and colder, especially if it's wet outside. You can look at places like Tire Rack for tire reviews. Some do VERY well in wet weather, and some do OK in colder weather as well.

Anyways, I think you'll find better pads and possibly some way to cool the rotors will work better against brake fade then bigger brakes. New pads are cheap, new calipers and rotors not so much. Also, perhaps a brake fluid change is in order. Maybe it's absorbed some water and it's overheating too easily.

Not that I think big brakes are a waste, just that they are probably much more then you need, especially with tires that don't grip too well. I would look at the cheaper options, first. And the benefit of sticker tires is that the benefit is realized all the time, and not just when you're applying the brakes.

Last edited by Joeywhat; 3/17/14 at 11:25 PM.
Old 3/18/14, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not that I think big brakes are a waste, just that they are probably much more then you need, especially with tires that don't grip too well. I would look at the cheaper options, first. And the benefit of sticker tires is that the benefit is realized all the time, and not just when you're applying the brakes.
I 100% agree. BBK are awesome, just not needed in this case. Pads can make a world of difference! And for a fraction of the cost.
For tires though, granted i live in Houston, TX and haven't scene snow ALL year, my BFG Comp 2s have done fine in all temps, even 20-deg. Yes, they don't grip as well below 40, but they still work. Once above 40 though, they stick like glue! And they're also great in rain.
I used to run Bridgestone RE760 Sports and they, too, were awesome in the rain!

Since I don't live up north, i'm not used to y'alls weather but I would assume that snow tires and cheap wheels + summer tires on current wheels + brake pads (Hawk, EBC, etc.) would come out stille cheaper than a BBK.... unless you go with GT500/Brembo pkg take offs.

Either way you end up going, you'll help the situation... i'm just not a fan of all season tires.
Old 3/18/14, 12:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Want to stop brake fade? Upgrade your fluid and your brake lines. It's a hell of a lot less expensive than changing your brakes entirely and it's just as effective--in fact more so, because if you keep the same fluid in there, the heat will begin to boil it off anyway and you'll end up with the same mushy pedal you're getting now.
Old 3/18/14, 08:36 PM
GT Member

So, after reading all this I'm thinking I should buy some summer tires for the new wheels and I can put some winter tires on my old wheels.

So something like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires from the Max Perf Summer seem to have a good rating and good in the wet. But if I went with those, they don't have them in the wider 255/45 18. So I'd have to stick with the 235/50 18.

Or if I step over to the UHPS side the BFG Gforce Sport Comp2 looks decent and I can get those in the wider tire size.

Not sure how to choose between those two options.
Old 3/18/14, 09:39 PM
Cobra R Member

I have the Comp-2 on my Focus and absolutely love them. GREAT on both dry and wet roads, and good hydroplaning resistance for a summer tire (some are less then great...).

They'll be going on my Mustang once the stock tires wear out.
Old 3/19/14, 06:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Comp-2 on my Focus and absolutely love them. GREAT on both dry and wet roads, and good hydroplaning resistance for a summer tire (some are less then great...).

They'll be going on my Mustang once the stock tires wear out.
I have them too.
... and I'll buy them again.
Old 3/19/14, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I also think you'd be just fine with just doing something like this.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/powers...it-1114gt.html

Higher friction lining, better brake fluid and better tires will transform your ride. Plus you can save quite a bit compared to big brake kits
Old 3/20/14, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I also think you'd be just fine with just doing something like this.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/powers...it-1114gt.html

Higher friction lining, better brake fluid and better tires will transform your ride. Plus you can save quite a bit compared to big brake kits
I've been looking at this option for some time since I'm still using the stock 18x8 wheels...like to hear some other opinions on it besides what I've read on the AM reviews...
Old 3/20/14, 02:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I know everyone thinks that you NEED to get summer tires to have a great amount of traction but I beg to differ. I have the last version of the Pilot Sport AS series, the +, in 275/40/19's and I can't believe the amount of traction that I have with these. They are a much more predictable tire at the limit. Plus they are M&S (mud and snow) rated and I have driven in 6+ inches of powder while it was snowing and below freezing getting to work without issue. If you think you can just get by with summer tires and take it EASY when it's below freezing you are kidding yourself. I drove a couple of times with the stock Pzero's when it was below and around freezing and it was scary and unpredictable. You have to ask yourself if potentially totaling your car is worth it. These "sucky" all season tires will out perform MOST summer tires at the limit and below. I'm not talking about DR's but Max and UHPS tires that don't cost $400 per tire. Most people don't drive at the limit of their tires and never will so buying tires that are built to do so is a waste of money. Just my .02

Just so you know what I put them through... I live in Bavaria in southern Germany a few hours from the Austrian Alps, where it rains most of the time, there are no straight roads, the average country back road speed limit on the way to work is 65-70mph in the curves, snows till mid April, except this year, and the autobahn is glory. These tires get a workout every time I go even down the street.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 3/20/14 at 02:22 PM.
Old 4/19/14, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"and the autobahn is glory"....my spine tingles at the mere mention of the Autobahn, Germany KNOWS how to approach inter country crossing,hands down!!!!!!!!!