Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wheel balance

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/10, 06:44 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Thats what I'm saying, if your not having problems with an out of round (run out) wheel and tire combo and the dynamic balance is in check, its not a big deal.

Everybody is going to have an opinion on how much weight a wheel is going to take and alot of these opinons are based on what tires guys were dealing with 20 or more years ago (13,14, 15" rims with equally small tires using a conventional dynamic balance - balancing weights at the rim flanges). As rims and tires have gotten bigger, heavier and wheel balancing has been compromised (any time you move the weights away from the flanges) in the name of appearence, the amount of weight required to balance the tire/wheel combination has gone up.

If your concerned about that particular wheel, find a shop with a good diagnostic balancer (one that measures run out) and have the wheel checked, the caveat being if the tech knows what they are looking at and how to address the problem and the machine is in good working order and calibrated (usually by clocking the tire on the rim as people have suggested).

If there is a problem and run out is excessive (even after match mounting - rotating the tire on the rim so that the high spot or heavy spots counteract each other), you will at least have the facts and can pursue a warranty claim.

Last edited by bob; 6/15/10 at 06:46 AM.
Old 6/24/10, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well LMAO. I put the wheels/tires on and they dont feel terrible. Something is bugging me but I cant say it the balance maybe just the smaller sidewalls. BUT I go to train the TPMS and it wont take. Call AM and get a guy last Saturday who tries a few things and cant figure it out. Tells me they will call me Monday and let me know something. Get the call Monday and the decision is to send out a new TPMS remote. Well got it in today and guess what....nothing. Works like a charm if I pull in and hit one of the stock wheels. Im now wondering if the weights werent the only iffy about these and if the TPMS were even installed. AHHHHH
Old 6/24/10, 04:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thinking about getting some stuff (like wheels ) through AM but not after reading your experience so far Barry
Old 6/24/10, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I thinking about getting some stuff (like wheels ) through AM but not after reading your experience so far Barry
Ah it happens I guess. I went with them because of all the good things I hear so go figure. With the way the world is these days I figure Im lucky to have even got the wheels. We will see what they do to make it right.