Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wheel balance

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/10, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel balance

Ok got my new set of wheels/tires in. Balance as follows not on car so just front and back

F-1 2.5oz
F-2 6oz!!!
R-1 2.5oz
R-2 1.5oz

Whats up with that one wheel/tire. 6oz is a lot of weight isnt it? That is 24.....thats right 24 1/4oz weights.
What does everyone have to say about this?
Old 6/11/10, 04:59 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What wheel tire combo do you have??
Old 6/11/10, 05:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
What wheel tire combo do you have??

19x8.5 245/45
19x10 275/40
Old 6/11/10, 05:07 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Ok what wheels are they? American Muscle?
Old 6/11/10, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok what wheels are they? American Muscle?
O sorry yep the gt500 not so much replicas
Old 6/11/10, 05:21 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm not sure about this. 6oz wheel weights on a wheel? These wheels come off a wrecked car? Something is wrong somewhere.
Old 6/11/10, 05:22 PM
MOTM Committee Member

oooh cool do you mind posting pics? I was considering those and will also be getting a GB 5.0

but back on topic that is strange that one wheel took so much weight. Idk what the tolerances are so I can't say if its anything to be concerned about...
Old 6/11/10, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Ya not sure. Local tire shops very. One guy I talk to that runs a large shop said 7oz was getting to be alot. The others thought that 3-4 oz was upper avg. One guy that said 3-4 also said aftermarket wheels are a pain in the rear alot of the time though and he has used more.
Old 6/11/10, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

oooh cool do you mind posting pics? I was considering those and will also be getting a GB 5.0

but back on topic that is strange that one wheel took so much weight. Idk what the tolerances are so I can't say if its anything to be concerned about...
Well I was but how freaking small do they have to be. 19.5kb...lol the pics I took were 2.5mb. They are not on a car either as I dont have it yet

AM has a GB with them if you look at the 19x10 and the CDC front spoiler pics.
Old 6/11/10, 06:08 PM
MOTM Committee Member

oh sweet you got the black ones
Old 6/11/10, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
You can have them unmount/remount/rebalance the tire in a different position to see if that helps...
Old 6/11/10, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

oh sweet you got the black ones
Ya I actually like them more than the stock gt500 wheels because the spokes are thinner. I am not feeling good about all the weight on the one though so I might ask for a new one to be sent and return this one. I figure it is balanced fine but somehing isnt jiving if you know what Im saying.

Forgive the nasty garage...with all the parts Im not going to have a place to park it lol.

ETA: Im going with the 302 center cap in the pic. The SR is one they came with.
Attached Images  

Last edited by GRABOID; 6/11/10 at 06:20 PM.
Old 6/11/10, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

And REALLY forgive my wifes car....poor thing hasnt had a bath this year I dont think
Attached Images   
Old 6/11/10, 06:23 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by GRABOID
Ya I actually like them more than the stock gt500 wheels because the spokes are thinner. I am not feeling good about all the weight on the one though so I might ask for a new one to be sent and return this one. I figure it is balanced fine but somehing isnt jiving if you know what Im saying.

Forgive the nasty garage...with all the parts Im not going to have a place to park it lol.

ETA: Im going with the 302 center cap in the pic. The SR is one they came with.
Those look good! Wonder if the stock caps will fit?....

Yeah not a bad idea to send it back and get another one, or try what Patrick said
Old 6/11/10, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
You can have them unmount/remount/rebalance the tire in a different position to see if that helps...
Ya but I really dont want to take the chance of screwing a rim up and then not being able to return it. Im fairly patient and AM c.s. has been good so far. If they are willing to trade it that is the direction I will go.
Old 6/11/10, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Those look good! Wonder if the stock caps will fit?....

Yeah not a bad idea to send it back and get another one, or try what Patrick said
Dont know. These are fairly large. Ill measure them and see. I know KC had some picks up of the stock ones. They will look better when cleaned up. I also need to paint the valve stems black.

ETA: Looks like the factory ones will fit. They may have little numbs on the back of the factory ones though. The SR ones "hang over" the edge of the hole just a little and they are 2.75"ish big. The 302 caps fit inside the hole and do not lay over the edge and theya are a bit smaller. I like the 302 caps.

Last edited by GRABOID; 6/11/10 at 06:42 PM.
Old 6/11/10, 07:49 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Dont know. These are fairly large. Ill measure them and see. I know KC had some picks up of the stock ones. They will look better when cleaned up. I also need to paint the valve stems black.

ETA: Looks like the factory ones will fit. They may have little numbs on the back of the factory ones though. The SR ones "hang over" the edge of the hole just a little and they are 2.75"ish big. The 302 caps fit inside the hole and do not lay over the edge and theya are a bit smaller. I like the 302 caps.
good news!
Old 6/11/10, 07:56 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok got my new set of wheels/tires in. Balance as follows not on car so just front and back

F-1 2.5oz
F-2 6oz!!!
R-1 2.5oz
R-2 1.5oz

Whats up with that one wheel/tire. 6oz is a lot of weight isnt it? That is 24.....thats right 24 1/4oz weights.
What does everyone have to say about this?
Mag balance on big wheels, yeah even on a good rim and tire combo it might call for a fair bit. As the balancing weights move away from the outer edges, more weight is required to control wheel imbalance.

I've seen some good increase in wegiht, just by moving the weights inward a 1/2" or more. As long as run-out is in check and your not getting any vibration, its fine (did they use lead or steel? The industry is moving toward steel weights and they are larger due to the lower mass of the weight).
Old 6/11/10, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob
Mag balance on big wheels, yeah even on a good rim and tire combo it might call for a fair bit. As the balancing weights move away from the outer edges, more weight is required to control wheel imbalance.

I've seen some good increase in wegiht, just by moving the weights inward a 1/2" or more. As long as run-out is in check and your not getting any vibration, its fine (did they use lead or steel? The industry is moving toward steel weights and they are larger due to the lower mass of the weight).

Steel. there is a pic above of the wheel in question. I will let the thread run a few days before I decide on it. I did see some other web pages talking about the amount of weights being used even on factory wheels. One had a pics of a fatory srt8 wheel with at least 17 weights just behind the spokes and no telling how many on the inside of the rim.
Old 6/14/10, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob

Well I hope its ok cause it sure doesnt look like they are going to send another. Said the techs say its not a unnormal amount of weight. Odd since out of the four stores I called around here 3 said no more than 3 oz and one said 6 was about the most they would think. The quote above is the only one I think is saying its not bad.....right? Wasnt reel sure what you where saying. O well...lol had a flat on the way home and changed it on the side of the interstate which is tons of fun. Didnt want to go far so stopped at the next exit and Wally world. Kid that fixed it didnt bother checking the other tires and also didnt put the wheel cover on good since I lost it somewhere between there and home. Then when I called to ask about getting a new cover due to him putting it on over the lugs instead of under them they said the would check the parking lot where I drove out and see if they find it and call me back one way or another. Of course they never called me back...........This wont be pretty my nerves are shot as it is and dealing with people that are more worried about getting to break than finishing the job right arent high on my list right now.

Sorry for the half *** rant lol.

Last edited by GRABOID; 6/14/10 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel balance