2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

What is trade-in value on 2010 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/10, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jocatch
I am sorry but I have to disagree with you about the differences between a 10 and 11. I see there are big differences as.....
Those are big differences if you were buying a new car. But, for the price it would cost you to "upgrade" you could put that into the car and get all the performance the new car offers (and perhaps a stronger tranny).

The resale would be a factor, but not sure if it would be at the level you are thinking.
Old 1/28/10, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ttgt500
KBB thinks a loaded 2007 Mustang GT coupe is worth $23,000. LOL

Little options don't add squat. Only major.

You're right though, dealers use it to PRICE their cars since it is redicuously high!

Like a lot of people, you're using KBB wrong. Pick trade-in valuation and even on an impeccablly clean car, use fair as the condition. That's how every dealer I've traded cars in to prices out the cars they take on trade.

Don't forget mileage.

30k miles on a 2007 Mustang GT with shaker, leather, et cetera: $15,800.

EDIT: To the OP: Unless you've been dumping in several times the monthly payment each month on your car, you'll never be ahead of trade-in. Rule of thumb is the moment you drive the new car off the lot you just lost 25% of its value.

By the same token, make sure you set your budget first then decide after. If it fits your budget (monthly payment) then do what makes you happy: you may have negative equity, but it's not as if you won't be making those payments on your current car just because you don't trade in.... I was in a Scion tC for a year and was miserable, traded it in on my '08 Mustang GT and ate about $3,500. But I haven't been disappointed with my car at all.

Now... just remember that in two years time there's going to be a fair amount of used 2011 Mustang GTs out there just waiting to be picked up.

Last edited by Dixie_Flatline; 1/28/10 at 07:39 AM.
Old 1/28/10, 07:44 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Tony is right, NADA price guides are too vague. Edmunds.com is a pretty decent estimate. and KBB allows a much better description of a car's equipment and condition. Nobody sells cars for KBB full retail value around here. Heck, even as a dealership, we typically sell used cars for the KBB private party price, or just slightly above that. And for trade in's, we typically pay KBB trade-in value: excellent for a nice car still under factory warranty, good for a nice car out of warranty, and fair for a car with 100K+ miles, on average.

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 1/28/10 at 07:46 AM.
Old 1/28/10, 08:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
Like a lot of people, you're using KBB wrong. Pick trade-in valuation and even on an impeccablly clean car, use fair as the condition. That's how every dealer I've traded cars in to prices out the cars they take on trade...
KBB "fair" is about what I got for my '06 when I traded it even though mine was just shy of excellent condition. The dealer showed me a print-out (that looked legit) of recent similar sales at local auctions and gave me a little over that since it was in nice shape and they wouldn't have to pay any auction fees or have to transport it.

I know I could have done better selling it myself, but last time I did it I swore never again. Too many sketchy characters to deal with.
Old 1/28/10, 08:58 AM
Cobra R Member

...Sure, if I was daring I could find someone to SC it but I would always wonder if it was done right and worry about the warrantee. I prefer to leave a car stock except for small things like exhaust. Really modding a car by SC is prone to problems down the road I believe. So adding brembo brakes, SC, redoing the suspension, etc just doesn't make sense to me when you add up all the cost, time and trouble....
Send your car to Shelby j/k

Honestly, If I were in your shoes I would consider a Ford Racing, Roush or Saleen S/C and let a Ford dealer install 'em for that factory warm & fuzzy feelin'... By upgrading your 2010 w/ $8k-$10k worth of parts, you'll be able out run most 2011s... To me, that would be better than carring over $8k-$10k worth of in-equity. Besides, hardly any 2011 owners will know what you spent to spank 'em w/ a 2010
Old 1/28/10, 08:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont most dealers use the Black Book http://www.blackbookusa.com/. I see this linked to many dealer web sites.
Old 1/28/10, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

realistically most 2010 buyers including myself should know that by buying a 2010 there would pretty much be no way get into a 2011 without taking a big hit. even if you paid all cash you would still take a loss but you wouldnt have to worry about the equity issue. buying a 2010 depending on loan size and length means you are probably not going to be in positive equity until late calendar 2011 which should be just in time to order a 2012 boss! Also at that time the 2010s will probably be best used mustang on the lot so there should be good demand for them because 2011 buyers will be in the same boat as 2010 owners are today and would have to take a big hit to trade their cars in only a year later for a 2012.
Old 1/28/10, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 1,086 Posts
I hate to make it worse . . . but if I was considering buying a used 2010 GT right now, knowing what I know about the 2011 GT and V6, I would be looking to pay maybe $24-25K max
Old 1/28/10, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by DarkCandy08GT
Dont most dealers use the Black Book http://www.blackbookusa.com/. I see this linked to many dealer web sites.
Black Book is not used very much in the Northwest. It definitely varies around the country as to what is used. We use Blue Book around here because most of the lenders and customers around here use it.
Old 1/28/10, 12:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by xlover
realistically most 2010 buyers including myself should know that by buying a 2010 there would pretty much be no way get into a 2011 without taking a big hit. even if you paid all cash you would still take a loss but you wouldnt have to worry about the equity issue. buying a 2010 depending on loan size and length means you are probably not going to be in positive equity until late calendar 2011 which should be just in time to order a 2012 boss! Also at that time the 2010s will probably be best used mustang on the lot so there should be good demand for them because 2011 buyers will be in the same boat as 2010 owners are today and would have to take a big hit to trade their cars in only a year later for a 2012.
I agree that '11 owners who trade for a '12 will take a hit, but only because that always happens. But unless there is another MAJOR upgrade in '12 (highly unlikely), they're not going to get spanked nearly as bad as the '10 guys wanting the '11. Trading a 4.6 for a 5.0 is going to hurt a lot worse than trading a 5.0 for a 5.0.
Old 1/28/10, 12:17 PM
GT Member

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you about the differences between a 10 and 11. I see there are big differences as:

- 100 more horse and more torque
- brembo brakes (sure, some may say you don't need better brakes. I say say that to me when I am driving at night at 60 mph and a deer jumps out in front of me)
- the track pack is now included
- electronicly assisted steering
- miscel other tweaks like sealing the rear deck lid and under the engine

plus the fact that down the road a 2011 5.0 Mustang will be worth more than a 2010 4.6 and lastly, my 2010 will never be worth more than what it is now in trade.

Sure, if I was daring I could find someone to SC it but I would always wonder if it was done right and worry about the warrantee. I prefer to leave a car stock except for small things like exhaust. Really modding a car by SC is prone to problems down the road I believe. So adding brembo brakes, SC, redoing the suspension, etc just doesn't make sense to me when you add up all the cost, time and trouble.

Oh, one other thing. My 2010 is black with white stripes. It is a very nice looking car and I get comlements everywhere I go. But my dream color is really Torch red and if I ordered a 2011 I could finally have my red car.

Joe
Nevertheless, you miss my point. I guarantee you Ford has something else in the wings waiting for 2012, and something else for 2013, and maybe something more for 2014. If you're feeling buyer's remorse now, how can you really say that you're going to feel any different a year from now when you've traded up for an '11 and the '12's come out with IRS and a horsepower bump? I'm not saying that's going to happen, but what if it does? That scenario is not all that unlikely if car sales are down and Ford needs to generate more excitement about the Mustang.

Eventually you need to draw a line in the sand and say to yourself, "Okay, I'm buying this Mustang today, and I don't care if the next model comes with functional afterburners, a beer dispenser, and two Playmates in the back seat, I'm going to be proud of my purchase and I'm going to stop thinking about buying something else!!"

Sure, I look at my '08 and I'm envious of the higher power of the 11's, and I think the new interior is fabulous, but...I fell in love with the '05-'09 body style. I just can't see the new body style as an improvement. Now, if I could get the '11 engine, the '10 interior, into the '08 body, well now you're talking! But that's impossible. And even then, I'd have to redo all the suspension upgrades that I've already made to my '08 and it would just be a hassle. Besides, as I mentioned, my wife and I are trying to get into a house in the next 2 years so we can reproduce. Priorities eventually change.

Good luck with everything. I think you have plenty of options if you're serious about upgrading, but they don't all have to happen RIGHT NOW!!
Old 1/28/10, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry, that is what I meant listing the Brembo brakes. Regarding the 3.73, all my cars have had those gears, I love them.

Joe

Originally Posted by Adam2004
This isn't true. You have to get the optional Brembo brakes AND 3.73 rear end. ~$2100?
Old 1/28/10, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Back in 1977 I bought my first new car, a 77 Camaro with the 305 engine and 3 speed manual. The next year Chevy came out with the Z28 Camaro again with the 350 engine, T10 4 speed, etc, etc. I sold the '77 and bought the '78. I still have that car and love it still. I think it is good to have an open mind and consider other options. If I was to get a 2011, I would be satisfied and keep it for as long as I have had the 78 Z28.

Joe

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
You bought a 2010 and that's what you should be thinking about, not a 2011. Having buyer's remorse is common. But the only way to get over it is to enjoy what you have.
Old 1/28/10, 01:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the input. I just talked to a dealer off-line here and figuring my car's MSRP was $35500 with 5,500 miles, right now they would give me about $26000 in trade. That is currently less than what the loan is. So it looks like no new 2011 for me.

Joe
not like the old days in 05, 06 and part of 07 where they were happy to add negative equity into a loan.
Old 1/28/10, 02:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Sure, if I was daring I could find someone to SC it but I would always wonder if it was done right and worry about the warranty. Really modding a car by SC is prone to problems down the road I believe.
Not at all!! Look at the GT500, or Roush, Saleen or any other after-marketer... Superchargers when installed professionally are a rather easy install, with no voids in warranty. It's just it take time (roughly 8-10 hours) for install... For instance The Vortech V3 supercharger at American Muscle after discount is selling at $3,800. It pumps out Crank 420hp and 385tq... And it's a proven safe superchager. You could even go Roush, which has a proven industry standard...

There are great and safe options if you want is more hp... Just do some research.
I myself am looking into Edlebrock E-Force.
Old 1/28/10, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Not at all!! Look at the GT500, or Roush, Saleen or any other after-marketer... Superchargers when installed professionally are a rather easy install, with no voids in warranty. It's just it take time (roughly 8-10 hours) for install... For instance The Vortech V3 supercharger at American Muscle after discount is selling at $3,800. It pumps out Crank 420hp and 385tq... And it's a proven safe superchager. You could even go Roush, which has a proven industry standard...

There are great and safe options if you want is more hp... Just do some research.
I myself am looking into Edlebrock E-Force.
+ 1. Today's supercharger offerings are thoroughly tested, reliable, and when tuned right are very easy on the stock drivetrain. My Vortech V2 was only $3700 + $900 to install. With some custom dyno tuning it's decently above the advertised 420hp/385tq at the flywheel that Vortech advertises (I'm at roughly 455 flywheel hp now). Car has been bulletproof and has endured very hard driving every day and a fair number of runs at our local dragstrips.

All the major blowers are great. Edelbrock, Vortech, Paxton, ProCharger, Saleen, Roush, FRPP, Whipple, Kenne Bell, etc. Each is engineered specifically for our cars so there's no/little fabrication to get a great install.
Old 1/28/10, 05:17 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Back in 1977 I bought my first new car, a 77 Camaro with the 305 engine and 3 speed manual. The next year Chevy came out with the Z28 Camaro again with the 350 engine, T10 4 speed, etc, etc. I sold the '77 and bought the '78. I still have that car and love it still. I think it is good to have an open mind and consider other options. If I was to get a 2011, I would be satisfied and keep it for as long as I have had the 78 Z28.
Joe
Nice car that I have fond memories of also.
I was around back then and I just want to mention that the Z28 appeared in late model 1977 not '78.
It just was not available until well after the new car season in the fall.
My buddy bought one of the first ones that came to town in spring of '77.
Old 1/28/10, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, I know the restored line of Z28s came out in 1977 1/2, I didn't think anyone else would remember that. 8-)

The 77.5 still had the metal bumper as the 77s. The 78 was the first year for all the all plastic front and rear bumpers. They didn't make many of the 77.5, alot more of the 78 were made.

Funny thing, I paid $6200 for my Z28 in 78. Now it has 94,000 miles and the insurance told me it is worth $10,000. Wow.

Joe

Originally Posted by karman
Nice car that I have fond memories of also.
I was around back then and I just want to mention that the Z28 appeared in late model 1977 not '78.
It just was not available until well after the new car season in the fall.
My buddy bought one of the first ones that came to town in spring of '77.
Old 1/28/10, 07:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Talking

I didn't think anyone else would remember that. 8-)
Why?...
'Cause I'm so old or 'cause everyone else is so young?
Old 1/28/10, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Cause I AM so old and everyone here is so young...after all a mature person would not want a BLUE Mustang (like alot of people here want) but a RED one.

When my wife found out I wanted a 2010 Mustang she said "Going through a mid-life crisis, uh?" I said "Yes!" and she didn't give me any more hassle about it.

Joe

P.S. Do you remember that the "hood scoop" on the 77's was just a decal on the hood. It wasn't till the 78's did they put a real (although not-functional) hood scoop on.

Originally Posted by karman
Why?...
'Cause I'm so old or 'cause everyone else is so young?

Last edited by jocatch; 1/28/10 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: What is trade-in value on 2010 GT?