2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

What should I be doing?

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/14, 08:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What should I be doing?

Welp I have own my mustang most of its life, it has roughly 34k miles on it. I have always changed the oil with full synthetic roughly around 6k miles.

Any other general maintenance I should do? I know they always try to get you with stuff at the oil change place...yeah i know i should change it myself but when its -10 degrees, ill pay someone to do it.
But they always mention you should do this after such and such miles, kinda makes you wonder or well atleast myself.

Any thoughts or input on other general engine care.

edit: sorry its early and i put this in the wrong area.

Last edited by rmurer; 2/3/14 at 08:08 AM.
Old 2/3/14, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just go by your scheduled maintenance in your owners manual. Dealers and quick lubes will try to sell you every flush and maintenance item they can even if you don't need it
Old 2/3/14, 08:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would check the air filter, maybe now that the motor is nice and broken in get an oil analysis kit from Blackstone or another place and see how your engine is doing with the change intervals and what not.
Old 2/3/14, 09:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurer
Welp I have own my mustang most of its life, it has roughly 34k miles on it. I have always changed the oil with full synthetic roughly around 6k miles.

Any other general maintenance I should do? I know they always try to get you with stuff at the oil change place...yeah i know i should change it myself but when its -10 degrees, ill pay someone to do it.
But they always mention you should do this after such and such miles, kinda makes you wonder or well atleast myself.

Any thoughts or input on other general engine care.

edit: sorry its early and i put this in the wrong area.
I thought this was another oil change thread for a moment...

Like LivingtheStangLife said, going by the maintenance schedule in the manual is all you need to do. Personally, I like getting the coolant flushed every 24 months or so, as well as changing the transmission fluid. If you've got an automatic, that's a bigger deal than with a manual but still a good idea, IMO. Brake fluid wouldn't be a bad idea at the same time for you, since you're going on 3 years old and 34K miles.
Old 2/3/14, 09:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I thought this was another oil change thread for a moment...

Like LivingtheStangLife said, going by the maintenance schedule in the manual is all you need to do. Personally, I like getting the coolant flushed every 24 months or so, as well as changing the transmission fluid. If you've got an automatic, that's a bigger deal than with a manual but still a good idea, IMO. Brake fluid wouldn't be a bad idea at the same time for you, since you're going on 3 years old and 34K miles.
Awesome responses thanks everyone.
Old 2/3/14, 10:37 PM

I’ve been researching this topic for a few hours and found this post pretty helpful. Thanks for compiling the info in one spot.
Old 2/4/14, 10:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Depends a lot how you drive the car too - I am looking to change the rear diff fluid soon and may do the tranny fluid as well.

Did you replace the cabin filter yet? Often forgotten, but good to replace regularly... have you flushed the brakes? I bet your fluid could use a refresh. I do my brake fluid yearly.
Old 2/5/14, 02:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In some cases, you just have to decide if "old school" maintenance should over rule what the owners manual states.

Case in point: Ford says automatic transmissions have "lifetime fluid", and recommend the fluid be changed at 150K.

I'd prefer to have it flushed every 30K; a pan drop, filter change, and a complete flush.

There's just no such thing as "lifetime fluid", unless they feel that 150K miles is the lifetime of their car.

I beat them at that game all the time! My second ride, a Ford F150, currently has 257K. It has its original automatic trans and engine. Both have not been touched internally.
Old 2/5/14, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
By changing the engine filters and the oil on a regular basis you are good for 100,000
miles.

Last edited by TheReaper; 2/5/14 at 10:47 PM.
Old 2/6/14, 01:37 PM
Cobra R Member

All awesome answers, thank you!
Old 2/6/14, 02:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
By changing the engine filters and the oil on a regular basis you are good for 100,000
miles.
A whole lot more then that. As mentioned, my 2005 F150 (4.2 V6) has 256K on it. Still the stock engine and automatic transmission, and niether have been rebuilt. The engine gets its oil changed every 10K (using full synthetic), and the automatic transmission gets flussed every 30K.

Still running strong and pulling a trailer on occasion.

The current Mustang is at 57K (2011), and doing fine as well. It will see well into the 200K mark if I hold onto it long enough.
Old 2/7/14, 04:36 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Change your 'cabin' filter every 12,000 miles. I drive around 5,000 miles per year, i change mine every 2 years.
Old 2/8/14, 01:06 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, clean or replace the CAI filter.

--------------------------------------------------
Track Day & Lightly Used Performance Parts
http://www.dgracing56.com