Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What the hell is all that ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/17, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Isn't the A/C belt an isolated TSB for 11-12 model years??

Check out this thread:
https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...noise.1057548/

Quotes:
"For what it's worth -- and one case is not worth much -- ticking in my '14 GT started twenty miles after the first oil change (Motorcraft 5w-50, as recommended). I immediately changed out the oil and filter to the "old standby" I use in my Lotus Elise and my NC Miata -- Mobil 1 Eurospec 0w-40. No tick on start, none since. I'm thinking the cams and other odds 'n' ends are very sensitive to additive formulations, including zinc/phosphorus."

"Like others on this thread -- BBQ (not A/C) tick on the second oil change, using the recommended Motorcraft 5w-50. After 200 miles I changed out the oil to Mobil 1 Eurospec 0w-40. Tick stopped immediately. Hasn't returned in 3 oil changes using the M1. I've used that particular oil in a Mazda MX-5 track car and a Jeep TJ built for offroad competition; never had issues with it in real life or Blackstone testing."

"This is exactly what I used and it went away! Mobil 0w-40 European ftw!!! You guys that are using 5w-50 that have the tick trick should give this a try."
My 14 makes the same noise as my 11 did and it was the belt causing it.
Old 1/29/17, 08:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
So if it's just the belt that's causing the noise, just replace the belt..

I assume that it's the serpentine belt, unless the design is different compared to 11-12
Old 1/29/17, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
My 14 makes the same noise as my 11 did and it was the belt causing it.
Thanks for kind reply. I'm open to all possibilities, just wish it was as simple as changing out the belt. Do you recall TSB reference number on this (for 13-14)?

I just can't help but to wonder why we're having the noise in the first place. And why most of us who does have this issue reports noise 'after' an oil change. Something to think about. Did the belt get loose because we used recommended oil grade or full-syn/different weights? Is the belt that much sensitive?

It'll make much more sense to me if the Engine breaks down for instance, but why the noise?

I've read as extreme as changing a short block or even replacing an Engine and still get a tick, some plan on selling a car because of this noise.

Personally, I don't think getting a new Engine will resolve the issue. If so many are having the same problem that we read on forums, what's a new Engine gonna do? It'll be the dang exact same motor with the same design from the factory, isn't it?
Old 1/29/17, 08:49 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The AC has a separate belt from the big serpentine belt. The TSB replaced the short AC "stretchy belt" with a long one that included a tensioner and idler pulley. My guess is that the original design is cheaper to make and works fine for most, but not all people.
Old 1/29/17, 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for kind reply. I'm open to all possibilities, just wish it was as simple as changing out the belt. Do you recall TSB reference number on this (for 13-14)?

I just can't help but to wonder why we're having the noise in the first place. And why most of us who does have this issue reports noise 'after' an oil change. Something to think about. Did the belt get loose because we used recommended oil grade or full-syn/different weights? Is the belt that much sensitive?

It'll make much more sense to me if the Engine breaks down for instance, but why the noise?

I've read as extreme as changing a short block or even replacing an Engine and still get a tick, some plan on selling a car because of this noise.

Personally, I don't think getting a new Engine will resolve the issue. If so many are having the same problem that we read on forums, what's a new Engine gonna do? It'll be the dang exact same motor with the same design from the factory, isn't it?
Ford can't explain why it happens but it's happened to me with 2 cars I bought new after the first oil change. The ticking does go away after a few hundred miles.
Old 1/29/17, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by SpectreH
The AC has a separate belt from the big serpentine belt. The TSB replaced the short AC "stretchy belt" with a long one that included a tensioner and idler pulley. My guess is that the original design is cheaper to make and works fine for most, but not all people.
Oh okay, I understand now.. So things have really changed since the 2005-10 3v 4.6 engine days.. Didn't even realize the A/C now has a separate belt from the main serpentine belt.. At any rate, I assume that your 14 is still under warranty ? so hopefully you'll be able to have Ford replace the A/C with the newer design under the TSB at no cost to you..
Old 1/29/17, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Ford can't explain why it happens but it's happened to me with 2 cars I bought new after the first oil change. The ticking does go away after a few hundred miles.
Hey Reaper, I just found the old thread that we both were posting on back in 2013 lol...
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...k-club-526104/

TSB 12-8-14
Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and air conditioning (A/C) compressor drive stretchy belt configuration may exhibit a light, lower-end engine knock most noticeable when engine temperature is warm and the vehicle is at idle.

Part Number: BR3Z-8620-DA

This TBS does say 11-12 Mustang though, and I can't seem to find 13-14.

*On the LMR site, they posted:
Eliminate the infamous engine tick in your 2011-14 Ford Mustang 5.0L with this A/C Tensioner Kit featuring a new belt and tensioner!
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8620DK/ford...kit-5-0l-11-14

From that old thread, I didn't pay much attention to TSB because most said the noise was still there. But, now I want to give it a try.

My guess is the TSB is not covered by the warranty, right? How did you get them to perform and what's the cost doing this. The part seems to be cheap but the labor. Don't I still have powertrain??
Old 1/29/17, 10:00 PM

If the car is still under the bumper to bumper warranty, then yes it also includes TSB's.. It might still be covered under powertrain warranty as well
Old 1/31/17, 08:13 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Reaper, I just found the old thread that we both were posting on back in 2013 lol...
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...k-club-526104/

TSB 12-8-14
Some 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and air conditioning (A/C) compressor drive stretchy belt configuration may exhibit a light, lower-end engine knock most noticeable when engine temperature is warm and the vehicle is at idle.

Part Number: BR3Z-8620-DA

This TBS does say 11-12 Mustang though, and I can't seem to find 13-14.

*On the LMR site, they posted:
Eliminate the infamous engine tick in your 2011-14 Ford Mustang 5.0L with this A/C Tensioner Kit featuring a new belt and tensioner!
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8620DK/ford...kit-5-0l-11-14

From that old thread, I didn't pay much attention to TSB because most said the noise was still there. But, now I want to give it a try.

My guess is the TSB is not covered by the warranty, right? How did you get them to perform and what's the cost doing this. The part seems to be cheap but the labor. Don't I still have powertrain??
Mine stopped ticking for now but in the future I might install the LMR
kit.
Old 2/2/17, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I work for a large auto group that includes the Ford Dealer I bought my 14 from. The TSB will not be covered by Ford for the 14 MY. My Dealer had me cut the stretchy belt off and drive my car for awhile. I noticed that with the belt off my noise was mostly gone. So since I am a employee the dealer put the TSB parts on for me and ate the cost. They also replaced my clutch disc. My ticking was prominent from the bell housing area. And when they pulled the trans they did find a loose spring in the disc. The disc did not cure my remaining noise though. I think unfortunately the noise is just inherent in the design of the powertrain.
Old 2/2/17, 04:22 PM

If your dealership wouldn't cover the issue under TSB, then I would consider finding another dealership... As long as the vehicle is still under the manufacturer's bumper-to-bumper warranty or extended warranty, it should still be covered!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/13/23 at 02:43 PM. Reason: typo error correction
Old 2/2/17, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

It has absolutely nothing to do with the Dealer. People don't know all of the inner workings of a Dealer. In my case the actual Service Manager contacted his Factory Rep. She informed him that Ford Corporate would not cover the TSB on mine because it clearly states only application is 11-12 model year. If my Dealer submitted the warranty claim Ford simply wouldn't pay it. I am not saying I agree with Ford Corporate. But that is how it works.
Old 2/2/17, 08:20 PM

Well I don't understand that at all then.. If the car is still under the manufacturer's bumper to bumper or extended warranty policy, then everything should still be covered including known issues under a Ford TSB..

Now if the car's warranty coverage has expired ? Then I can understand the dealership in question's refusal for eating any repair related costs..
Old 2/3/17, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

It has been almost 2 Years ago since I ventured down this rabbit hole so I do not remember all the particulars. But as I recall the TSB also included a software update. My semi educated guess is that the newer production vehicles (13-14 MY) were built with this updated software. And that Ford figured the software was enough of a patch to not address the mechanical aspect of the TSB. I will say that since I have installed the FRP Track Cal Tune with the Lopey Idle... I notice far less ticking while driving. Mine always occurred right as I was pulling away from a stop. So maybe the change in the VVT software was enough to lessen my noise. I am far from a expert on that so take my opinion for what it is worth.
Old 6/21/17, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GT CONV Premium (Auto) at 93000 km's. Have had ticking sound consistently over long period of time but has recently gotten worse. Low RPM and very noticeable when at drive thru window (lol). Have read many threads to indicate possible engine problem associated with the tranny and in many I have read, Ford changed the motor. I think they know what the problem is but are not letting owners know. I recently had some extended warranty work done and need to get wheels torqued so I am heading in the discuss the tick. Will update all accordingly.

Last edited by Tronster; 6/21/17 at 08:52 AM.
Old 6/21/17, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tronster
2014 GT CONV Premium (Auto) at 93000 km's. Have had ticking sound consistently over long period of time but has recently gotten worse. Low RPM and very noticeable when at drive thru window (lol). Have read many threads to indicate possible engine problem associated with the tranny and in many I have read, Ford changed the motor. I think they know what the problem is but are not letting owners know. I recently had some extended warranty work done and need to get wheels torqued so I am heading in the discuss the tick. Will update all accordingly.
You said it has gotten worse and is very noticeable, maybe your case is similar to mine. Not sure the coverage in your area but if you still have the powertrain (93,000 kilometers = 57,788 miles), I'd take a look at the link below.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-fixed-544133/
Old 7/5/17, 10:12 AM

Mine started ticking

I have a 2014 GT and it only recently started ticking. It has 25K miles on it and the ticking started AFTER I changed the oil. This is my 5th oil change and I've used Royal Purple 5W20 for every oil change. If it is the A/C stretchy belt issue, why did my car only start now? And why does the ticking start after an oil change? I just don't see how the two relate. I also live in Germany so getting this problem fixed is about to be really fun. FML
Old 7/5/17, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I thought mine was the belt. It was not. If you can get your hands on a new belt cheapest way to tell is cut old belt off and drive car. See if noise goes away
Old 7/5/17, 11:10 AM

I hope mine is a quick fix
Old 7/11/17, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Robby Merced
I have a 2014 GT and it only recently started ticking. It has 25K miles on it and the ticking started AFTER I changed the oil. This is my 5th oil change and I've used Royal Purple 5W20 for every oil change. If it is the A/C stretchy belt issue, why did my car only start now? And why does the ticking start after an oil change? I just don't see how the two relate. I also live in Germany so getting this problem fixed is about to be really fun. FML
Robby,
Don't sweat it.

Mine still ticks many miles (and many, many WOT runs to redline) after my original post on the topic and it hasn't changed. Assuming you have the same "problem" as the rest of us, it's almost certainly purely cosmetic.

So keep an ear on it...but I think you're going to be ok. As a matter of fact, it took yours longer than most to develop the sound. Most of us seem to have gotten it after oil change #1.

Quick Reply: What the hell is all that ticking?