Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What is done to a factory ordered car upon delivery to the lot

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/11, 01:32 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is done to a factory ordered car upon delivery to the lot

What will the dealership do with my ordered car when it arrives off the truck?
Does it even need to be washed or checked out?
Will it just sit in a parking space til I come get it?
Old 2/25/11, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

Your dealer will inspect the vehicle. Make sure that there was no damages on truck. Test it to make sure everything functions properly. They also will wash it and make it presentable.

Also in some states ( states that require front license plates ) they will drill the front.

But you can ask your sales person to just check it and NOT to drill OR wash it. If you prefer to wash it yourself.

When are you expecting your ride?
Old 2/25/11, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

A dealer has to inspect it themselves on delivery, check fluids, do paperwork, that sort of thing. How much prep work they do will depend. Generally they will go ahead and wash it, fill the tank, and get the plastic covers all off of everything. You can ask them to do the bare minimum, in which case they leave it pretty much as they got it, though I think they are still obligated to check the fluids/air/engine. Depending on the dealer they may even stick on their stickers and junk.

Probably one of the guys here who work for a dealership can answer a bit better.

I only requested they not drill the front plate. Interestingly they also didn't put the dealer sticker on that I saw on all the other cars, but hey, the car was only on the lot a ground total of 5 hours.
Old 2/25/11, 02:18 PM

When I picked up mine, I specifically asked them not to put on their sticker...and they didn't but they did put their license plate frame on it trying to get that good old free advertising! My dealer took off all the protective plastic, washed, waxed, and inspected it. They buffed out a small scratch that was mysteriously there upon delivery. They checked all the fluids and checked all the functions. This is what my salesman told me, anyway.
Old 2/25/11, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, don't forget the lot boys burn out to seat the rings!!!!

One for each gear.
Old 2/25/11, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Obviously this has been about a decade ago, but when I worked as a lot attendant I helped with vehicle inspection and prep when they came in (regardless of special order).

Generalyl speaking the process involved going over the interior and exterior for noticeable flaws. Dents, scratches etc.

all vehicle fluids were checked and all functionality of the vehicle was checked. This includes your radio/electronics package, wipers, all lights and light functioning. Door, hood and trunk pulls are checked for proper operation.

The factory plastic is removed from the vehicle as well as any plastic in the interior.

Once they passed all the checklist items they were ready for wash and fueling. If it was being delivered on special order, generally we would put the car on display within the show-room if it was a higher model car (which is typical when a special order occurs). If it was a dealer car meant for the lot it got a quick bath and sent to it's parking spot for sale.
Old 2/25/11, 03:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know when my dad got his ordered his TL, the dealer washed it and left it in the service bay so it would stay clean until we picked it up the next day.
Old 2/27/11, 07:52 AM
V6 Member

thank you for the responses. I don't mind all that stuff done except the sticker. I have no idea when it is coming. We ordered it 3 weeks ago but hopefully we'll get a call ahead of time. We'll sit at the dealership the day it comes in til it's ready we don't care!
Old 2/27/11, 09:24 AM

if its black dont let them wash it
mine looked like someone took sand paper to it
and now im stuck with it
i wanted to be the one to put the scratches on it. not the 7$ an hower lot boy that only can afford to sit in a new car
Old 2/27/11, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

When I ordered mine , I told the salesman about a half a dozen times not to drill for the front plate and no dealer sticker. When I showed up for delivery there was no front plate but there was a neon green dealer sticker on the back. All it took was a glance at the sticker and the salesman assured me it would be removed before the paperwork was done. It could have been worse though they could have drilled for the front plate.
Old 2/27/11, 10:10 AM
GTR Member

When mine came in, the dealer had instructions to mechanically prep it only. They left all the plastic on it and parked it aside. I stopped in the next night to remove the plastic myself, and they didn't wash it. It was filled up with premium from the dealer.

So, depending on what you want, they can offer it.
Old 2/27/11, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jfrullo
if its black dont let them wash it
mine looked like someone took sand paper to it
and now im stuck with it
i wanted to be the one to put the scratches on it. not the 7$ an hower lot boy that only can afford to sit in a new car
Ill hav to keep that in mind.... thanks
Old 2/27/11, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Yea, I know in CA they like drilling for that front plate. I'm getting the Steeda front fascia installed before I pick it up, if they drill that thing I'm gonna be pissed.
Old 2/27/11, 10:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
When I picked up my 2011 California Special, the dealer brought the car inside to the prep area, which has a glass wall so you can watch them. They cleaned the car, the engine compartment, interior, etc. Checked the tires and fluids, filled the gas tank with premium. The salesman then walked me around the car, to insure there was no damage. We then started the car and sat in it as he explained all the equipment and set my cell to Sync. The car was immaculate....oh, and no dealer label without my asking.

As a side note, I just had my first oil change, by the same dealer. They put semi-synthetic in. I balked at that, at the cashier and told them I wanted the full syn...the service advisor took the car back in and did a second change, new filter and 8qts of full syn. I was not charged for the first change. The were extremely nice about it and annotated my file to insure full syn will always be used in the future.
Old 2/27/11, 12:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Tell them not to wash it or mount the front plate. Some dealerships think they should use a buffer on it after the wash to shine it up. As far as mounting the plate you don't have to drill into the face of your cover to mount it. Ask the dealership to call you when the truck pulls into the lot, That way you can remind them what you want to happen to your car. Congrats
Old 2/27/11, 01:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wrote my dealer while 901 was being built and said no stickers or front license plate and they complied. Even though I had an appointment scheduled for closing and pickup, my exterior and engine were a mess when I arrived.

I bought a 10 (Chrysler) off the lot w/12 miles and it had the front plate but no stickers. After I logged on their site (6 mos later) I see at 6 miles it had 'sheet metal' work. I assume that was coming off the transport but it was not disclosed. Can't tell where, it looks perfect. But Overboost/Steve was right - when I clay barred it there was plenty of gunk from rail transport and sitting on the lot for 6 mos.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/27/11 at 01:26 PM.
Old 2/28/11, 07:24 AM
Cobra Member

I specifically requested them not to touch mine.. She only had 1.3 miles (or something like that) and their lot is huge, so I know they didn't take her for a joy ride.

They did not drill the front for the plate and most of the plastics were still on her. ..though they apparently did install their ****ty dealer plaque. That was a deal breaker for me and my salesmen knew it.. but, lucky for him, my GF beat me to the lot by about twenty minutes and pointed it out.. Some tech had put it on and ignored the instructions on the paperwork. He had it removed before I got there.
Old 3/1/11, 10:24 AM
V6 Member

how do you put the license plate on if it isn't mounted to the bumper? in ny i need a front plate.
Old 3/1/11, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by knightrdrx
how do you put the license plate on if it isn't mounted to the bumper? in ny i need a front plate.
Then you will have to tell them to mount the front plate bracket. Even though it's required in Illinois, I won't be using one. It takes away from the lines of the car.
Old 3/1/11, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

There are a lot of "hideaway" license plate frames, or ones that don't require drilling and are removable for car shows. Neither of them require drilling that leaves any kind of visible marks.

Quick Reply: What is done to a factory ordered car upon delivery to the lot