2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

What color to paint brake calipers, also a rotor question.

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/12, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What color to paint brake calipers, also a rotor question.

So I am considering what color to have my calipers painted and wonder what color you guys might think look best. I have a Kona Blue with Black Gloss rims and the silver grey calipers just don't look right.

I was thinking maybe Red or Black, what do you guys think?

As for the rotors the gorgeous rustiness on the rotor hats does not set the Black rims off to well and I was wondering if the hats can be painted or are there rotors that can be purchased pre treated or painted.

I have been thinking of upgrading my rotors to something a little more high performance and brake pads. So maybe I can just buy some rotors that are pre-painted and while everything is taken apart I can paint the calipers.

So to sum it all up, what caliper color do you think will good. Can I DIY paint the rotor hats? If I do upgrade the rotors can you get them pre-painted and what would be a good brand?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Chris
Old 3/1/12, 03:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought dupli color caliper paint comes with instructions very easy to use. all you do is take the wheels off and use the de-greaser to clean them first then use the provided brush to do 3 coats on every caliper.

I would say go with red...
Old 3/1/12, 09:25 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Grifftech
So I am considering what color to have my calipers painted and wonder what color you guys might think look best. I have a Kona Blue with Black Gloss rims and the silver grey calipers just don't look right.

I was thinking maybe Red or Black, what do you guys think?

As for the rotors the gorgeous rustiness on the rotor hats does not set the Black rims off to well and I was wondering if the hats can be painted or are there rotors that can be purchased pre treated or painted.

I have been thinking of upgrading my rotors to something a little more high performance and brake pads. So maybe I can just buy some rotors that are pre-painted and while everything is taken apart I can paint the calipers.

So to sum it all up, what caliper color do you think will good. Can I DIY paint the rotor hats? If I do upgrade the rotors can you get them pre-painted and what would be a good brand?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Chris
I'd try painting them blue to match your car, and see how that turns out. As for the rotors...I think you can get some with a nice coating on them, but I don't know how long it lasts. I also recall a member recently that had painted them black to get rid of the rust. I'll see if I can find the thread...
Old 3/1/12, 09:36 PM
GT Member

I got a set of cross drilled/slotted rotors that have the black zinc coating, they sell them with silver zinc coating it prevents rust on the rotors. You can get regular rotors with the zinc coating. I have sprayed my rotors before but the rust usually will come back. I have painted my calipers red on some of my previous vehicles (vista blue mustang, silver explorer) My Marauder is black and has red calipers. I painted my current Mustang calipers silver since my car is red.

It really depends on the look you are going for, if you want them to stand ut go with a bright color, clean factory look go with silver or if you don't want them to stand out go with black, here are some pics
first pic is black zinc coated rotors, silver painted calipers
second, is my old Explorer with the silver zinc after a few years of usage
third, my old explorer silver zinc rotors when they were installed
fourth is my old mustang with factory rotors that I sprayed silver and painted cailpers.

good luck with you decision
Attached Thumbnails What color to paint brake calipers, also a rotor question.-dsc07730.jpg   What color to paint brake calipers, also a rotor question.-dsc00377.jpg   What color to paint brake calipers, also a rotor question.-ft-rotor.jpg   What color to paint brake calipers, also a rotor question.-dcp07519.jpg  
Old 3/1/12, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

dtwc (lol I just noticed the iPhone auto-corrected you to Fetch), that's awesome info!! What brand are those black zinc rotors? Since Imy intention is to blackout my Kona Blue, I think black zinc rotors and black calipers. I call her "Bruiser", you know "bruised up all black and blue".

Hmm now I think of it, if I could find a real close match to Kona in caliper paint I may do that for just a little color

Last edited by Grifftech; 3/2/12 at 07:22 AM.
Old 3/1/12, 10:29 PM
GT Member

I don't know what the brand of the rotors are but I got them from Brakeperformance. I think black or blue would look good with Kona
Old 3/3/12, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Paint them Kona Blue. I had my calipers match my grabber blue car.

Old 3/3/12, 03:43 PM
GT Member

I would paint them black. If they are some snazzy aftermarket ones, then sure show 'em off, but I feel stock ones should blend in.
Old 3/3/12, 04:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I painted mine black both the rotors and calipers with high heat paint. they have held up well
Old 3/3/12, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
Paint them Kona Blue. I had my calipers match my grabber blue car.

That looks sharp, why not the back ones?
Old 3/3/12, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by linelock
I would paint them black. If they are some snazzy aftermarket ones, then sure show 'em off, but I feel stock ones should blend in.

I kind of agree, btu I think Kona is dark enough that it will blend in enough but still show at times.
Old 3/3/12, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by linelock

I kind of agree, but I think Kona is dark enough that it will blend in enough but still show at times.