2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Went to the track tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/14, 09:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Went to the track tonight...

Took the 2013 GT to the track tonight at Lucas Oil Raceway in Indy. It was my first time running the car ever, and only second time racing at a drag strip. My first run was pretty horrendous, but I started getting better. My best was a 13.14 @109mph. After that I lost grip really bad on my final run, then the track closed. I had a real hard time getting the launch down in this car. I'd either bogg it or be spinning into 3rd. I was quite disappointed and was hoping I could get into the 12's as these cars are capable of that, stock. I had a great time though and need to go back next week and practice more. I do feel a bit guilty because its pretty hard on the car

Do you think its my 3.31's that kept me out of the 12's?
Old 9/4/14, 05:25 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
You need drag radials. I'm sure your 60' times are bad and thats why your not in the 12's. Just my opinion
Old 9/4/14, 05:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah, but apparently Motor Trend was able to get a 2013 GT Brembo (with 3.73's) to run a 12.7 on the street. Along with other publications getting about the same time.
Old 9/4/14, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Drag racing is all about the start. Pick a lane that allot of Big tires cars have run on and then launch not so hard. The Track cars launch pretty hard as the 3.73 develop alot of torque. Also you have to practice on the tree. Depending on how fast your car moves and breaks the lights you will have to learn when to leave. My Local track is a 1/8 mile and the GT track cars are in the low 9's most are in the 8.4 to 8.8 range.
Old 9/4/14, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Took the 2013 GT to the track tonight at Lucas Oil Raceway in Indy. It was my first time running the car ever, and only second time racing at a drag strip. My first run was pretty horrendous, but I started getting better. My best was a 13.14 @109mph. After that I lost grip really bad on my final run, then the track closed. I had a real hard time getting the launch down in this car. I'd either bogg it or be spinning into 3rd. I was quite disappointed and was hoping I could get into the 12's as these cars are capable of that, stock. I had a great time though and need to go back next week and practice more. I do feel a bit guilty because its pretty hard on the car

Do you think its my 3.31's that kept me out of the 12's?
I would recommend just getting back out there and hitting it, you'll find your groove! After that you might want to look into drags but I think a few suspension mods would really help. Lower Control Arms paired with a Panhard Bar would both help with your traction but the Panhard is going to help keep your axle centered as well! Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions and I'm here to help! Shoot me a PM if you don't have our discount code either and I'll get you set up!

Alex
Old 9/4/14, 01:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks, I've considered control arms, but my lowering springs from SR that I got through you guys have really helped with my wheel hop issues, so LCA's are currently on the back burner right now.

Anyone else have any thoughts? What are most of you guys running in the 1/4 on stock cars?
Old 9/4/14, 01:26 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Wait until weather conditions are more conducive for achieving better times.
Old 9/4/14, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

it was dry and about 80 degrees....no good?
Old 9/4/14, 04:11 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
That's not bad, but you should run faster with lower temps and especially lower humidity. I hate running in the summer time . . .
Old 9/4/14, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, but apparently Motor Trend was able to get a 2013 GT Brembo (with 3.73's) to run a 12.7 on the street. Along with other publications getting about the same time.
Those magazine times are always the sort of "under perfect conditions" type of thing. You would have to thrash on your car really hard to get the same times they do in a MotorTrend or C&D article because they beat on them really hard to get it. I'm sure you love your Stang as much as the rest of us and while you love to get good times you wouldn't want to tear up your car to get them. A 13 second quarter mile in a street car is nothing to hang your head about bro. You did **** good for first time out.
Old 9/5/14, 06:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by White2010
Those magazine times are always the sort of "under perfect conditions" type of thing. You would have to thrash on your car really hard to get the same times they do in a MotorTrend or C&D article because they beat on them really hard to get it. I'm sure you love your Stang as much as the rest of us and while you love to get good times you wouldn't want to tear up your car to get them. A 13 second quarter mile in a street car is nothing to hang your head about bro. You did **** good for first time out.
You know what, you're right. Getting in the 12's isn't worth damage to the car. I was already being pretty hard on it. I'll worry about getting in the 12's after installing a supercharger in a few years
Old 9/5/14, 06:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I ran a 13.1 107 mph as my best times with a 2.1 60ft with P springs and BMR LCA. They don't prep the track at all.
I just added the UCA and mount, airaid, cat deletes and steeda tune. I won't make it back to the track till october I hope to be in the 12!

And I have 3.31 gears m6 brembo car on p zeros
Old 9/5/14, 06:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SSStang
I ran a 13.1 107 mph as my best times with a 2.1 60ft with P springs and BMR LCA. They don't prep the track at all.
I just added the UCA and mount, airaid, cat deletes and steeda tune. I won't make it back to the track till october I hope to be in the 12!

Should be WELL into the 12's after all that!!
Good to know my car is on par with others with 3.31's!
Old 9/5/14, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

If they don't prep the track find another track. Not only is that dangerous but stupid. You can not launch a car if it is not prepped. If you can not launch now then nothing you will do other than thinker tires will help. At my track they prep and stock mustang GT with Track pack are turning in the high 8 in the 8th mile.
Old 9/5/14, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
If they don't prep the track find another track. Not only is that dangerous but stupid. You can not launch a car if it is not prepped. If you can not launch now then nothing you will do other than thinker tires will help. At my track they prep and stock mustang GT with Track pack are turning in the high 8 in the 8th mile.
I wish I had other options I live in Germany. Its the only place I can go to race. I wish I had a good prepped track to race on and be able to go often. I think they have 5 weekend this year to race on the 1/4 which is a old airstrip.

One more year left here and then back to the US.
Old 9/5/14, 09:57 AM
Cobra Member

I wish I had other options I live in Germany. Its the only place I can go to race. I wish I had a good prepped track to race on and be able to go often. I think they have 5 weekend this year to race on the 1/4 which is a old airstrip.

One more year left here and then back to the US.
When I was much younger I use to race at a track that did not prep to well. I would wait till some of the big tire cars whet up to race. Then I would go up and if on street tires try not to use the " Bleach Box" I'm dating my self Water area.

Good Luck.
Old 9/5/14, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 14 gt 6speed with 3.31s and my best time completely stock has also been a 13.1 with a 2.1 60' time at a 108, but conditions down in south texas aren't ideal ever and always humid, plus doesn't help that Im a big guy. But I m completely content with the time and just waiting to get my tune by the end of this month.
Old 9/5/14, 03:11 PM
Banned

You know what, you're right. Getting in the 12's isn't worth damage to the car. I was already being pretty hard on it. I'll worry about getting in the 12's after installing a supercharger in a few years

Good call. I went with Race Red on my V6, so good call on that too. It's the first red Mustang I've had since my 65. I love this color. Question though. Did you notice a sticker on your driver side door jam that says "RED TEAM"? I have one and I'm just wondering what that's all about. Came from the factory that way.
Old 9/5/14, 05:42 PM
GT Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks, I've considered control arms, but my lowering springs from SR that I got through you guys have really helped with my wheel hop issues, so LCA's are currently on the back burner right now.

Anyone else have any thoughts? What are most of you guys running in the 1/4 on stock cars?
Before you spend a bunch of money on tires and suspension mods, try rear lowering springs. I was getting ready to got the 1k suspension route and since my car was already lowered it hooked like crap. I decided to put my stock springs back up front(for giggles), hooks pretty **** good now even with a vortech.
Old 9/6/14, 12:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another thing, the magazines use maximum rollout. When you were staging were you staging as shallow as you can? What I mean is were you just rolling into the second beam or were you slowly rolling in and stopping the very instant the bottom bulb comes on?

Basically, you want to stage as shallow as you can where you barely turn on the second bulb. That gives you a longer rolling start before the ET timer starts. Another trick is a taller front tire. That at many tracks also means a longer rolling start. Without getting into specific details why it won't, but it won't necessarily work at every track using a taller tire. Some tracks limit rollout.

So basically to match what the car magazines do, you'd need similar weather, similar tires, and a similar rollout to make sure you have the same "rolling start" before starting the timer.

Quick Reply: Went to the track tonight...