Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Went to Galpin Auto Sports (G.A.S.) today

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/11, 07:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went to Galpin Auto Sports (G.A.S.) today

I purchased my car at Galpin back in July. I got great service from their sales staff and got what I still think was a very solid price (750 under invoice). By the time all paper work was done G.A.S. was closed so I couldn't get by there. Since then I've planned on stopping by several times but it has never seemed to come together.

Today I was down in the Valley (San Fernando Valley for non Californians) and decided to stop in for my first time. WOW! The customer service I got was nothing short of fantastic. Every person I spoke with was happy to help.

At one point I was looking at G.A.S. bowling style shirts and couldn't get my arms in any of the sizes they had on the floor. They were abnormally small sleeves. Dave Shuten to the rescue. Dave went in the back and found a xxxl for me. Next thing I know he's giving me the, "Rock Star" tour. We went into a back showroom area and saw the owners private collection. There were well over a dozen Shelbys including original cobras. Also a collection of Von dutch, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, and George Barris cars. The history in that room was amazing.

I was very fortunate to have run into Dave, who it turns out is pretty close to famous for building cars. Also fortunate that he had some spare time. Over all my experience was fantastic. I have yet to have any work done there as I live over 100 miles from Galpin. So it's impossible for me to speak in an informed manner about the quality, pricing... of their service, However after this experience I look forward to taking my car in.

If you live in So Cal and you haven't stopped by, I recommend it. Seems like a Great shop and if you've seen PIMP MY RIDE you know they can build some amazing stuff.
Old 4/29/11, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

That's great and all. But lets see how much you are loving them after the GAS guys charge you for their work.
Old 4/29/11, 07:48 PM
Cobra Member

Did you have a bad experience??? What did they charge you per hour? Did they stick to their estimate? I would appreciate any insight. I don't expect excellence to be cheap, but neither do I expect it to be cost prohibitive.

Last edited by eric n; 4/30/11 at 08:59 AM. Reason: redundancy
Old 4/29/11, 08:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched TV show over GAS, maybe Hot Rod TV? Seemed & looked pretty cool. If never have work done there, it showed their museum part. I might play my 'coma card' & see if I could get into private collection.
Old 4/29/11, 10:10 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that the one on the 405?
Old 4/29/11, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by eric n
Did you have a bad experience??? What did they charge you per hour? Did they stick to their estimate? I would appreciate any insight. I don't expect excellence to be cheap, but neither do I expect it to be cost prohibitive. What was their shop rate?

The customer service I got wasn't all that. They put me on hold for 10 minutes, then connected and said "Hi, this is Galpin Auto Sports. How may I help you?" I'd reply, "Uhh, you put me on hold about 10 minutes ago," then be put back on hold again.

Dave, the "Mustang body guy," was chill, I guess. He's the stocky blond caucasian with spikey hair.You don't get the feeling that he really wants your business. It's more like he couldn't care less, since he knows with GAS, there is no shortage of customers. Was quoted $500 for lowering springs only. He wanted $150 more for panhard bar install. Took my business to a shop on Saticoy and Winnetka. The guy, Tony, installed both for $300.

EDIT: Yeah, it's the one on Roscoe right next to the 405. I live 5 minutes from it.

Last edited by JimmyM; 4/29/11 at 11:41 PM.
Old 4/30/11, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Jimmy, I'm sorry you got a bad experience. I know I called them some time ago about installing my SHR louvers. I also got the experience that they weren't dying for business, but it seemed like the guy was telling me that they would be glad to do it, but that given the drive, I might consider a local option. It seemed to me that he was just trying to save me time and perhaps expense. I took it as a positive.

No doubt I will try them for some work in the future. Hell small shops in Bakersfield are charging $95 per hour, going a little more for a place that knows the ins and outs of my car might be worth it.

Thus far, I've purchased a car from Galpin, very positive experience (Carlos in internet sales was outstanding) now my visit to GAS was above and beyond. I might be cussing them in the future, but for now my experience has been very positive.
Old 4/30/11, 09:13 AM
Cobra R Member

I've never had a problem finding a shirt my arms could fit.
Old 4/30/11, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I've never had a problem finding a shirt my arms could fit.
Blessing and a curse.