Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Water pump on 3.7, question

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/14, 09:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Water pump on 3.7, question

So just the other day my father was out to dinner and next to the wings place there was a local car cruise. There were about 30 or so cars parked which my father made his way over. My father made his way over to a gentleman that had a new 5.0 and began a conversation with this man and his wife.

During the conversation my father had mentioned to this other 5.0 owner how his son (me, lol) had a V6 model. Some how the conversation lead into V6 models and according to my father , this other gentleman began talking about the V6 and its water pump location.

This 5.0 owner began telling my father how a mechanic told him the V6 has the water pump in such a hidden hard to reach location should it fail, it will cause pistons to break. He told my father the water pump in the 5.0 is located in a different location and if the water pump broke, no pistons would break.

Just curious , but does anybody know what that guy was talking about. Now obvious if a water pump fails the engine can and will overheat so you don't want to drive all over with a busted water pump but what's this about pistons breaking easily? Anybody heard of this?

Does the location of the water pump on the 3.7 cause pistons to break should there be a failure?
Old 5/13/14, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't see a design such as this would make it through any approval process.

There is a good thread here, the water pump is externally mounted just as in most engines.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t349477/

However, it appears earlier motors (non-Cyclone) had a water pump mounted internally between the cylinder head banks which could cause coolant to get into the oil pan.

I don't think we have to worry about piston failure.
Old 5/13/14, 03:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That 5.0 guy sounds like a real "expert" to me.

The definition of an "expert" - An ex is a has been, and a spert is a drip under pressure!

And rarely would a water pump fail so completely and suddenly that you wouldn't notice a problem soon enough to avert any serious damage to the internals.

There have been a number of reported water pump failures on here and other forums but no catastrophes because of it. And as far as I know the pump is no harder to change than any other late model car.
Old 5/13/14, 06:11 PM

I replied over on the "other forum" as well, but it has to do with the older ecoboost engines. The oil pump and water pump ran off the timing chain which was a horrid design. These new engines have them mounted on the front for fairly easy replacement (thank god).

You can see it here: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...37l-v6-engine/
Old 5/13/14, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

i had to replace the water pump on mine and it was very easy to change. you can see the water pump when you pop your hood. its the top pulley on the belt that has the 4 bolts going though the pulley. very simple to change.
Old 5/13/14, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by paintmann111
I replied over on the "other forum" as well, but it has to do with the older ecoboost engines. The oil pump and water pump ran off the timing chain which was a horrid design. These new engines have them mounted on the front for fairly easy replacement (thank god).

You can see it here: http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...37l-v6-engine/
I saw that on mustang evolution by you. Thanks so much.
Old 5/14/14, 03:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Just by the looks of it, I would much rather change the water pump on my 3.7 than on say my 6.0 Powerstroke
Old 5/14/14, 04:16 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Our waterpumps are in an area to change ourselves, easy. The 'expert' is wrong
Old 5/20/14, 09:01 PM

Yup, I think the confusion is that he thought the water pump was cogged and was driven off the timing belt (which some Fords of the past have had).

With that design, if the water pump seizes, it takes teeth out of the timing belt with it - cams stop turning, valves stop moving (but pistons keep going up and down) and BANG.
Old 5/21/14, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All self-styled "experts" (especially gun store commandos) should eat $#!+ and die.
Old 5/22/14, 01:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
All self-styled "experts" (especially gun store commandos) should eat $#!+ and die.
Lmao
Old 5/22/14, 06:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
That 5.0 guy sounds like a real "expert" to me.

The definition of an "expert" - An ex is a has been, and a spert is a drip under pressure!

And rarely would a water pump fail so completely and suddenly that you wouldn't notice a problem soon enough to avert any serious damage to the internals.

There have been a number of reported water pump failures on here and other forums but no catastrophes because of it. And as far as I know the pump is no harder to change than any other late model car.
Sounds like every other 5.0 owner that tries to justify the cost of their car compared to a v6. They're pretty butthurt that it's a decent car for a much cheaper price.