Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Warning: 2012 Mustangs and GT500 Rear Diffuser!

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/11, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning: 2012 Mustangs and GT500 Rear Diffuser!

(Moderators - feel free to move this to the Exterior Mod section, just thought it would get more visibilty here)

Unfortunately, it looks like I have another "side project" (read: added work) in anticipation of the new 2012 GT.

I have already bought a few things for my car on order; CS front valance, GT500 Mufflers and a GT500 rear diffuser.

BE FOREWARNED

It appears that Ford has decided to use the lower diffuser to mount the rear backup sensors and NOT the actual bumper!

Which means that, if you have the rear sensing system and you want to change the diffuser you will have to drill the holes to remount the sensors yourself.

I found out by looking through the part guides that there is an installation kit to install the sensors (they probably have a fixture that does it at the factory). I'm trying to get more information about the kit to see what it entails; if it's just a holesaw or a punch, etc.

I don't know if I'll be the first to be undertaking the task, because I'm not due to get the car until late April/May.

Just wanted to give you '12 buyers a heads up before you bought new diffusers that it's not going to be a straight swap IF you have the rear sensors.

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 2/7/11 at 01:00 AM.
Old 2/7/11, 03:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
(Moderators - feel free to move this to the Exterior Mod section, just thought it would get more visibilty here)

Unfortunately, it looks like I have another "side project" (read: added work) in anticipation of the new 2012 GT.

I have already bought a few things for my car on order; CS front valance, GT500 Mufflers and a GT500 rear diffuser.

BE FOREWARNED

It appears that Ford has decided to use the lower diffuser to mount the rear backup sensors and NOT the actual bumper!

Which means that, if you have the rear sensing system and you want to change the diffuser you will have to drill the holes to remount the sensors yourself.

I found out by looking through the part guides that there is an installation kit to install the sensors (they probably have a fixture that does it at the factory). I'm trying to get more information about the kit to see what it entails; if it's just a holesaw or a punch, etc.

I don't know if I'll be the first to be undertaking the task, because I'm not due to get the car until late April/May.

Just wanted to give you '12 buyers a heads up before you bought new diffusers that it's not going to be a straight swap IF you have the rear sensors.
Being in a position to see some of this stuff made (not necessarily a rear diffuser), I would imagine that whoever supplies this stuff probably puts the holes in by either pins in the dies when they are made (two sets of dies, one with the holes one without), or they use a punch press (sometimes even water jet). I doubt they would have two sets of dies as that would be expensive for a low volume part, so the later two seems more plausible.

Is there an aftermarket kit available from Ford to put these in? If so then you maybe right, a template might be available and a fine tooth hole saw might do the trick.

I've never seen any of these parts. Are they a hard plastic or more like RIM material (similar to a facia) in which case you would need to support the back while drilling. Are they painted? If so, using masking tape and drilling through the masking tape would help prevent the paint from chipping.

Last edited by Stang-Par; 2/7/11 at 03:26 AM.
Old 2/7/11, 04:02 AM
Banned

The installation kit mentioned here is an OEM offering; for dealers doing the install, listing at $56. What I'm trying to find out is that the drawing isn't clear -- it could be a hole saw or it could be a Greenlee-style punch if, say, the holes are almost circular with flats to keep the sensor from spinning.

As far as the part catalogue shows they continue to list only one lower fascia for both the '12 GT and GT500 (meaning one each), as well as the sensors themselves and associated hardware. If they were manufactured with the holes in them they would have new extra part numbers. More than likely, these are drilled/punched at the factory (or vendor) for each specific vehicle (shipped from the vendor in order by rotation number right to the factory floor) . We do things like this all the time here at the factory -- the most obvious case I can think of is mount holes for spoilers -- all the liftgates are the same -- just before ithe liftgate is installed the operator puts it into a fixture that drills all the holes.

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 2/7/11 at 04:25 AM.
Old 2/7/11, 04:36 AM
Bullitt Member

a Greenlee-style punch if, say, the holes are almost circular with flats to keep the sensor from spinning.
Yes, a Greenlee style punch would be my first choice if they make one small enough. If a slot is needed, it can always be done with a small square file. Just a simple matter of drilling a small hole for the stud. I'm sure you have access to one. We have a hydraulic one at work that I've made good use of.
Old 2/7/11, 05:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stang-Par
Yes, a Greenlee style punch would be my first choice if they make one small enough. If a slot is needed, it can always be done with a small square file. Just a simple matter of drilling a small hole for the stud. I'm sure you have access to one. We have a hydraulic one at work that I've made good use of.
This:

would be a little harder to do both neatly and accurately x4 places using a file. Like I said I'll need to see the kit; worse comes to worse I could buy it and sell it to a body shop when I'm done.

I'd rather pay $60 for the proper tool than wing it and have it look like a dog's breakfast after. It's at the back of the car, after all. It'll be in a spot where most people will be viewing the car, if only temporarily ...

Last edited by OAC_Sparky; 3/14/11 at 07:54 AM.
Old 2/7/11, 07:10 AM
Banned

Update: The parts catalogue is now showing 2 diffusers for the GT; with and without sensors. I would expect the GT500 one updated as well. Will keep an eye out ...
Old 2/7/11, 09:42 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice heads up Matt
Old 2/7/11, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

This:

would be a little harder to do both neatly and accurately x4 places using a file. Like I said I'll need to see the kit; worse comes to worse I could buy it and sell it to a body shop when I'm done.

I'd rather pay $60 for the proper tool than wing it and have it look like a dog's breakfast after. It's at the back of the car, after all. It'll be in a spot where most people will be viewing the car, if only temporarily ...
Not a straight forward hole is it? For 60 buck I'd definitely get the proper tool rather than making it look like a$$.
Old 2/8/11, 04:58 AM
GT Member

A couple of questions:

How many sensors?

After reading about the installation kit, do you think this will be something available to us 2011 owners?
Old 2/8/11, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by erickburke
A couple of questions:

How many sensors?

After reading about the installation kit, do you think this will be something available to us 2011 owners?
4 sensors, 2 on either side of the licence plate, one on each side towards the corners.

I'm not sure if it's something you can retrofit to the '11s or not.

In my research I realized that while the reverse sensors are available in the GTs they are not an option (yet) on the GT500s, so I might be SOL on getting an OEM GT500 diffuser with the holes in it. SO I will either have to install the sensors myself using the install kit or just stick with the stock diffuser, it looks as though the GT500 muffler exhaust tips still fit the stock diffuser, hopefully someone can confirm this.

This is what it shows for the install kit, just looks like a guide, a holesaw and a bottle of compound.

Old 2/8/11, 07:11 AM
Banned

Here is the rear sensor setup:

Old 2/8/11, 07:34 AM
GT Member

Thanks that helps. I was really looking forward to these on the '12 but I found a great deal on a '11 Roush. Now I just can't seem to build up enough nerve to drill into the bottom valance.(as you probably feel as well)
Old 2/8/11, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by erickburke
Thanks that helps. I was really looking forward to these on the '12 but I found a great deal on a '11 Roush. Now I just can't seem to build up enough nerve to drill into the bottom valance.(as you probably feel as well)
Well TBH I paid $120 for the GT500 valance; if it got screwed up "in the name of science" I could live with it; I'd still have the stock valance. I'm more concerned about messing up the sensors at $92 a pop.
Old 2/26/11, 10:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Picture of car w/sensors

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...wphototab=true

Last edited by Topnotch; 2/26/11 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Title
Old 2/27/11, 05:40 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Some reason seeing or thinking about rear sensors on a Mustang make me want to
Old 2/27/11, 05:49 AM

Is this the first picture that's ever been posted of a 2012 GT?!

Old 2/27/11, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Knight
To each their own, for the same reason backing into a dark garage on a sunny day and running over a bike, skateboard or a floorjack that one of my kids left out makes me want to

Yelling at them on the way to the body shop is 15 minutes too late.
Old 2/27/11, 08:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 2/27/11, 10:20 AM
Cobra R Member

true
Old 2/27/11, 10:37 AM
GT Member

I love the idea but the wouldn't be able to deal with the looks of those sensors. I wouldn't have an issue if they looked more like the ones on a Benz.

Quick Reply: Warning: 2012 Mustangs and GT500 Rear Diffuser!