Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Which model do I go with?
2010 Mustang GT (Saves more and still has a V8)
38.46%
2011 Mustang GT (Still saves over GT500, but not as much as 2010 and has a 5.0)
37.18%
2011 Mustang V6 (Saves the most, still have a nice car, just no V8)
15.38%
Another suggestion listed in thread.
8.97%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Want to save money, but still have Mustang. Desperately need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/10, 01:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you live? Jeff is a Ford salesman in the suburban Phila area. If anyone can hook you up, he can...

Jeff Greenly
267-614-6927

He's 05fordgt on the forum.

Last edited by WaltM; 1/25/10 at 01:27 PM.
Old 1/25/10, 01:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
Where do you live? Jeff is a Ford salesman in the suburban Phila area. If anyone can hook you up, he can...

Jeff Greenly
267-614-6927

He's 05fordgt on the forum.
I may consider a used 2010, but we will see. It may be an option for sure, especially once the 2011s hit the lots, there may be a lot of people trading up. But then again, when looking for a Mustang for my brother a used 2007 was only $1k or $2k less than a 2008 and it had over 10K miles on it. Not worth it in my book. But, it may still be an option to look at. I will have to see.

Thanks for the info on Jeff. I am in San Antonio, Texas, so I wonder if he could have a car shipped here, might be worth looking into. Maybe he will view this thread and give his input eventually as well.
Old 1/25/10, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd totally go for the 2010. Once the 2011's start hitting lots, I bet you will be able to grab a 2010 GT for close to the 2011 V6. The 2011 is going to be nice, but if your concern is saving money, I don't think there would that much of a difference between your GT500 and a 2011 GT and you will lose money on the trade in the long run I think.

The only reason NOT to get the 2010 is the old engine, but you can always add some power as time and money permit.

I vote 2010 GT!
Old 1/25/10, 02:16 PM
GT Member

Thank you ALL for your advice, please, keep it coming! Also, I hope to get some dealers' input as well as prices for my 2008 GT500.

Thanks guys! Again, keep it coming!
Old 1/25/10, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

What do you owe on your GT500? If you didn't put a large down payment down when you bought it, you're likely upside down on the loan, and will be for a few years yet. Buying a new car wouldn't be necessarily cheaper in that case since you'd have to roll some of the GT-500 loan into the loan of the new 2010/2011 Mustang. You can get a rough idea of what your car would sell for by getting the values for it from Edmunds, KBB, and the NADA guide, check private party value and trade-in value. You can also go on AutoTrader and see what other people are asking for similar cars to yours.
Old 1/25/10, 02:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 08Shelby
Thank you ALL for your advice, please, keep it coming! Also, I hope to get some dealers' input as well as prices for my 2008 GT500.

Thanks guys! Again, keep it coming!
You know what I just drove my car and DAYUMMMM i love it . I cant get enough of it. I take useless trips all over town wasting insane amount of gas just to hear the BEAUTIFUL rumble from my Pypes muffler delete. I gotta get a video up of this exhaust, it sounds too good to only allow myself and other south Floridians to hear it. I think the best move money wise for you would be to get a 2010 GT. I have no doubt the 5.0 is going to be amazing , however there is a price bump and no matter which way you cut it you'll be spending more money on one. The 4.6 is a good motor GO FOR IT!!!
Old 1/25/10, 02:44 PM

Does anyone have any idea where you can get these great deals on 2010's? My dealership in town has like 5 convertibles sitting around but it seems to be invoice - $2k in rebates which in all honesty isn't even THAT great of a deal. I would totally buy a 2010 vert because I would rather save a ton of money then have horsepower I don't use (i dont drag race or anything) but only if the deals were substantial.
Old 1/25/10, 02:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
What do you owe on your GT500? If you didn't put a large down payment down when you bought it, you're likely upside down on the loan, and will be for a few years yet. Buying a new car wouldn't be necessarily cheaper in that case since you'd have to roll some of the GT-500 loan into the loan of the new 2010/2011 Mustang. You can get a rough idea of what your car would sell for by getting the values for it from Edmunds, KBB, and the NADA guide, check private party value and trade-in value. You can also go on AutoTrader and see what other people are asking for similar cars to yours.
You are right, but I did trade in another car that I was upside down on as well. I put enough money down to take that off as well as knock some of the GT500 down. I definitely think if I were to sell it outright I would get what I owe, maybe even a little more. Trade-In, I would hope for what I owe.
Old 1/25/10, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs08GT
Does anyone have any idea where you can get these great deals on 2010's? My dealership in town has like 5 convertibles sitting around but it seems to be invoice - $2k in rebates which in all honesty isn't even THAT great of a deal. I would totally buy a 2010 vert because I would rather save a ton of money then have horsepower I don't use (i dont drag race or anything) but only if the deals were substantial.
According to Ford's website, that is what I see, as well. I haven't checked any dealers themselves though. But, I am thinking the same way. I don't drag race or anything like that. I have never even been to the track. I only wanted the GT500 for the prestige and for the sound of the supercharger. I only added the JLT intake and smaller pulley to make the supercharger whine that much better, not because I needed the extra 120+ horsepower, heh.
Old 1/25/10, 03:00 PM
Cobra R Member

If you have to question whether or not you can afford the payment then I'd advise against it. A vehicle is merely a depreciating asset. The future (ie. retirement) is something a lot of people don't focus on until it's too late.

Last edited by Adam; 1/25/10 at 03:01 PM.
Old 1/25/10, 03:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
If you have to question whether or not you can afford the payment then I'd advise against it. A vehicle is merely a depreciating asset. The future (ie. retirement) is something a lot of people don't focus on until it's too late.
Well, I can afford the payment that I have now. It's not a matter of affording it. It's more of a matter of cutting back to the point where I would be happy with my purchase, not regret getting rid of the Shelby, and still save money.
Old 1/25/10, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I say forget the ring and house. Keep the car. Shoot, you've only had her for 5 months. I think my current bottle of shampoo is older than that.
Old 1/25/10, 03:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Skotty
I say forget the ring and house. Keep the car. Shoot, you've only had her for 5 months. I think my current bottle of shampoo is older than that.
This is true, I think my current bottle of shampoo is about the same, but in order to save more for the future, I would prefer to get rid of the car and get one with smaller payments. I love Mustangs and I LOVE my Shelby, don't get me wrong, but my future with family is more important to me than any car. Hence why I started this thread, heh. The balance can be had, as long as I am true to myself and my future goals in life.
Old 1/25/10, 03:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 08Shelby
Well, I can afford the payment that I have now. It's not a matter of affording it. It's more of a matter of cutting back to the point where I would be happy with my purchase, not regret getting rid of the Shelby, and still save money.
I hear ya. I believe the hit in depreciation will make the move not worth it. But couldn't hurt to crunch the numbers when the '11s are readily available.
Old 1/25/10, 03:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Luke, thanks for the PM with the link to your thread! Boy, that is a wonder, what to do. Personally, I would trade the GT500 in (depending on how much you owe) and try to 1st see what the payment is on a 2010. This is perfect as like Boomer said in the 1st reply, these are going for less and less every month. Rebates will increase till they are all gone. You can also try it on a 5 Liter and see a comparison between a '10 and '11. If you want some general ideas on payments, PM me your payoff on the Shelby and I can give you ideas on what a 2010 would cost and what a 2011 would cost. Also include your ZIP code and last name so I can check for the programs in your area and see if you have any ceriticates (extra rebates) in your name. I'll be glad to help.

Oh, and don't fret, as I'm in a similar situation. I found my soulmate, but the ring thing isn't coming up just yet. Maybe within a year (it WILL come as I love her dearly), but not just yet!!!

Let me know bud.
Old 1/25/10, 03:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
I hear ya. I believe the hit in depreciation will make the move not worth it. But couldn't hurt to crunch the numbers when the '11s are readily available.
To get an idea, I am going to head to the dealership soon. It may not be worth it now, but maybe when the '11s come out it may. I would just hope they have what I want on the lot, heh. All I ask for is a GT Premium with a Track Pack. Anything else would just be a bonus... Again, if the price is right.
Old 1/25/10, 03:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Luke, thanks for the PM with the link to your thread! Boy, that is a wonder, what to do. Personally, I would trade the GT500 in (depending on how much you owe) and try to 1st see what the payment is on a 2010. This is perfect as like Boomer said in the 1st reply, these are going for less and less every month. Rebates will increase till they are all gone. You can also try it on a 5 Liter and see a comparison between a '10 and '11. If you want some general ideas on payments, PM me your payoff on the Shelby and I can give you ideas on what a 2010 would cost and what a 2011 would cost. Also include your ZIP code and last name so I can check for the programs in your area and see if you have any ceriticates (extra rebates) in your name. I'll be glad to help.

Oh, and don't fret, as I'm in a similar situation. I found my soulmate, but the ring thing isn't coming up just yet. Maybe within a year (it WILL come as I love her dearly), but not just yet!!!

Let me know bud.
GREAT! Thanks for getting back to me. I will send you a PM here shortly with all that info! Thanks a ton!
Old 1/25/10, 05:03 PM
Cobra R Member

If keeping the Shelby is not an option... go with the 2011... the reason I say that is because most of the suspension goodies that are in the track pack are included w/ the 2011.
I haven't looked lately, but I could not find any 2010s equipped w/ the track pack on the lots...

Since you are the one paying for it, make sure you enjoy it.

BTW... There are other things you could do to budget your money for future...
Bring bagged lunch to work (vs. $5+ eating out),
load your next computer purchase w/ a lot of memory (hang on to it for 5+ years)...
accept being house poor a little longer -at least 'til your 1st full interest year tax refund...

Purchase an older home instead of new construction... unless you are an early buyer...
Old 1/25/10, 05:19 PM
V6 Member

None of the above.

2011 GT500.
Old 1/25/10, 05:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ttgt500
None of the above.

2011 GT500.

Quick Reply: Want to save money, but still have Mustang. Desperately need advice...