Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Using Regular Unleaded in the winter months?

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/10, 01:24 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using Regular Unleaded in the winter months?

This is the first time (since I was in my twenties) that I have a car that does not require Premium gas to be used.

I have always been filling it with Premium gas, since the 412hp rating is based on Premium gas. However since I don't really care much about performance in the winter months I was considering moving to Regular for the winter and then back to Premium in the spring. It would save me around 10% in fuel costs, and since it's my Daily Driver that adds up quickly.

One case to continue to use Premium gas is to help with pinging. from CanadianDriver:
Premium fuels have a higher resistance to pinging or detonation in the engine's combustion chamber than regular fuels do. Higher compression ratios, higher heat loads and higher vehicle loads all create an environment in the engine where the fuel tends to self ignite before the spark plug can properly fire the mixture. When this occurs too much, severe engine vibrations occur internally that can break piston rings, pistons and even damage bearings. We sometimes hear this as a rattling sound from the engine compartment when the vehicle is accelerated hard
But by the same token;

If the specifications say premium fuel is recommended, you can use regular fuel for many driving conditions, especially if you are not placing high heat or acceleration loads on the vehicle. If any pinging does occur, the engine knock sensor will detect this and cause the ignition timing to retard. This will reduce the pinging, but can decrease performance and fuel economy.
and from thestar.com
You need to buy premium gas only if your car maker says it's required, says Gabriel Shenhar, automotive program manager for Consumer Reports magazine."If premium is only recommended for better performance, go ahead, use regular. You'll probably lose about 2 to 3 per cent of your engine power. This will likely go unnoticed for most people."
What do you think? Non-issue to use Regular during winter? Or better long-term to always use Premium? Or is there some other item I'm not taking into consideration?
Old 12/24/10, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go ahead and try a tank and see if you notice any pinging. If not continue to use it.

I have read that there is a pretty substantial drop in mid range power. However, most people don't buy mustangs to save money on gas.
Old 12/24/10, 01:57 PM
Cobra R Member

I was pumpin 93 Ochotane in there during the hot summer months. Recently I tried a tank or two of 89 (can't find 91 around here), didn't see any difference. Now that it's frickin' freezing, I've opted to go with 87, figuring with bad roads, I won't be doing many WOT runs & thus won't be looking for maximum spark advance anyway.
Old 12/24/10, 02:16 PM
GT Member

If it is recommending that 87 can be used then it can be used and has a knock sensor to adjust timing and perhaps other variables to deal with the lower octane fuel. Low RPM and high load (6th gear and bogging it) also promotes pre-ignition (ping) as a side note... So if you were in a car that has a premium fuel minimum requirement and you use 87 (whether you plan on WOT or not) it is not good for it!
Old 12/24/10, 02:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Reading in the extensive technical article on the Coyote 5.0L engine, the dual octane capability is advertised as "Fuel Requirement 87 octane minimum, 91 octane best/rated power".
Old 12/24/10, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I read the specs on a Ford page, and it listed the Horsepower for Regular at 402 and 412 for Premium. I have a tank of regular in her right now and have noticed no difference in the performance. Also, no detonation or pinging when pushed. This is the first time I have used regular, so I will watch it. I am interested in comparing my MPG with the past use of premium.

However, with that said, you should always look for and use a Tier 1 fuel. I have been using them since 2005 and have never had a fuel related issue with any car. My wife's Passat 2.0T does require premium and we always use a Tier 1, which is a little more expensive.

YSU Steven...you are correct, most people don't buy these cars to save money on fuel; but, why give the oil companies more profit if you really don't have too? I have always been an advocate of premium in high performace cars, unless the manufacturer tells me to use either. Then I experiment with regular to see what happens to performance in the environment I drive in, which is mostly high speed, interstate travel. No traffic jams (800,000 people in the whole state) or stop and go driving, unless the tourists are here in the summer in their freaking RV's, choking up my beautiful two lanes in the hills.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 12/24/10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12/24/10, 04:50 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YSUsteven
I have read that there is a pretty substantial drop in mid range power. However, most people don't buy mustangs to save money on gas.
I agree that I didn't buy a mustang to save on gas, but figure that I'll be driving like a Corolla driver during the winter months (well OK not THAT bad) and won't be driving it like the beautiful fantastic sports car that it is.
The savings in fuel during the winter can cover my lead foot Premium in the spring/summer!
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I was pumpin 93 Ochotane in there during the hot summer months. Recently I tried a tank or two of 89 (can't find 91 around here), didn't see any difference. Now that it's frickin' freezing, I've opted to go with 87, figuring with bad roads, I won't be doing many WOT runs & thus won't be looking for maximum spark advance anyway.
Exactly what I was thinking!
Originally Posted by 944withnos
So if you were in a car that has a premium fuel minimum requirement and you use 87 (whether you plan on WOT or not) it is not good for it!
Yup I agree, but the mustang only requires a 87 octane (like Tony Alonso also mentioned). So if I'm only losing out on power (most 87 gas still has detergents/cleaners) then I'd like to change for the winter.
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I read the specs on a Ford page, and it listed the Horsepower for Regular at 402 and 412 for Premium. I have a tank of regular in her right now and have noticed no difference in the performance. Also, no detonation or pinging when pushed. This is the first time I have used regular, so I will watch it. I am interested in comparing my MPG with the past use of premium.

However, with that said, you should always look for and use a Tier 1 fuel. I have been using them since 2005 and have never had a fuel related issue with any car. My wife's Passat 2.0T does require premium and we always use a Tier 1, which is a little more expensive.
Yup I would definitely think of staying with a Tier1 fuel (although I have to admit that I've used some Costco gas once in a while, much to the chagrin of some of my friends).
I've always used Premium fuel when the manufacturer requires it, but since Ford only requires 87 I figure if I'm only losing on performance, and not damaging or hurting anything, then I maybe I'll do 87 or 89 for the snowy months.
Old 12/25/10, 01:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
An article on the "Copperhead" PCM and supercharging...it mentions the computer's ability to handle more inputs and respond faster, thus making it more capable than past versions.

Roushcharger supercharging and PCM reference
Old 12/25/10, 02:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by SD6
. . . . I would definitely think of staying with a Tier1 fuel . . . .
actually I think it's called "Top Tier" (close enough) and the main difference seems to be detergent additives; not octane or anything performance related (though I guess good detergent content could improve performance over the long run)

Here is the list:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Old 12/26/10, 08:55 AM
Banned

The long and the short of it is this:

Unless you've changed the tune from the factory (or otherwise modified your car) default one regular unleaded is perfectly OK.

Yes, you might notice a small drop in performance particularly at first until the ECU remaps but you'll be just fine.
Old 12/26/10, 10:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bert
actually I think it's called "Top Tier" (close enough) and the main difference seems to be detergent additives; not octane or anything performance related (though I guess good detergent content could improve performance over the long run)

Here is the list:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Thanks for that link. I've had my eye on this since Top Tier was started a few years back. My problem with it is there's scant info about what it takes to be "Top Tier" (and what it means) on that generic-looking web site, which simply lists top tier "retailers". I have questions about what it takes to get on that list:
- Does a retailer just need one of its stores in the country or region selling toptier gas?
- Does a retailer only need one pump selling top tier (as in Amoco/BP Ultimate)

I guess what I am getting at is I question whether ALL pumps in all stores are all putting out top tier gas.

I had a mechanic friend who claims all gas for all stores comes from the same main tanks at the regional loading dock, except for Amoco Ultimate, which is all he says he uses.

There are so many gasoline theories/myths out there. I've always stuck with the name brands (BP/Shell/Exxon) and been OK. If I lived in another part of the country I'd probably use different brands since they are somewhat regional (Sunoco in the Northeast for instance, whereas they disappeared from Virginia years ago).
Old 12/26/10, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Your mechanic friend's statement is close but not quite accurate. Basic gas is all the same (with the exception of Amoco Ultimate) but the major oil companies seldom pull from other suppliers at the terminals. The difference between brands is all in the additives which are added to the tanker trucks when they load up. The result is that there are significant differences between the brands in the gas that gets delivered to the station - even if they buy from another terminal in cases of short supply.

Also, all gas from all dispensers at any station are of the same quality. A Shell station will only sell Shell gas in all of its grades (same for other major brands). An independent station with a name-brand logo (Shell, BP, or whatever) must sell only that brand of gas or risk losing their franchise.

Amoco Ultimate is refined one extra step in order to make it clear. There is a lot of debate in the industry about whether that makes it "better" gas or just clear gas but BP obviously finds it to be a good marketing tool.

Personally, I always found Shell gas gave me better performance and mileage in my T/A but I haven't put enough miles on the Mustang to determine if that is true for it. Different gas will produce different results based on engine/drive train, driving style, weather conditions, etc.