Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

USAA Car Buying service

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/10, 05:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USAA Car Buying service

Has anyone used the USAA car buying service to purchase a new car before? I priced out a GT/CS with the electronics package and 3.55 gears and it came to a total of 35,631 which is 2,794 off of MSRP. Seems like a good price. I'm curious if this can be used in conjunction with X - Plan or not. I should be hearing from the dealers in my area that participate in the USAA service within a day or two so they should know the answer. just curious to know if anyone on here has the answer.

Thanks!
Old 4/22/10, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Funny seeing this thread as a co-worker today who is a usaa member was pricing out a Ford truck using this website.

IMO why would you want to use the service, have you gone through their website?

You can basically go in there and pick your model/color/options everything and then type in your phone and email and zip and it pulls up dealers in the area that will sell to you at that price. It even says on there to print out the page and walk in and buy the car at that price.

I was amazed not to mention the price was very good basically what any educated buyer does now a days. (invoice + 5 percent)

Last edited by Bigjohns97; 4/22/10 at 05:38 PM.
Old 4/22/10, 05:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
Funny seeing this thread as a co-worker today who is a usaa member was pricing out a Ford truck using this website.

IMO why would you want to use the service, have you gone through their website?

You can basically go in there and pick your model/color/options everything and then type in your phone and email and zip and it pulls up dealers in the area that will sell to you at that price. It even says on there to print out the page and walk in and buy the car at that price.

I was amazed not to mention the price was very good basically what any educated buyer does now a days. (invoice + 5 percent)

Yea the price is good. But the question I need answered, though I probably already know, is can this price be used in conjunction with X- Plan. If not then it's a simple issue of seeing which price is better since the USAA plan seems to be between 150 - 200 under invoice. I wont have my X-Plan pin for another Oh 5 months and 3 weeks lol so I can't compare exact prices yet. So just curious which plan is better and if they can be combined. I'm sure they cant but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 4/22/10, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think X-Plan is used "in conjunction" with anything. It's a set price.

I got my car for 500 below invoice, which is better than the X-plan price.
Old 4/22/10, 05:50 PM
V6 Member

X- Plan can be used with any available incentives that area available at the time. The reason I ask is because a co worker is currently using the USAA program to buy a Camaro and can use a portion of the USAA discount in conjunction with GM supplier pricing which is the GM equivalent of A/X etc plan. I was just seeing if that is also possible with ford..
Old 4/22/10, 05:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The x plan price is what it is, no negotiation. Some dealers will do the price even without a x plan pin though, or at least very close to it.
Old 4/22/10, 06:01 PM
V6 Member

Ok maybe I worded my question wrong. I understand that X-Plan is going to be a certain price. The USAA plan seems to be a varying number off of MSRP. Is this minus MSRP number also available to people who have x plan like all other incentives that can be used with X-Plan. Or is it a you choose X- PLan or choose the USAA price type deal. Hope that is more clear.
Old 4/22/10, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm pretty sure you choose USAA or X-Plan price.

If I were you I'd just call up internet sales departments at dealers. First guy I called offered 300 under invoice. Eventually found a dealer 500 under.
Old 4/22/10, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

From the Ford Partner Recognition Website - No additional discount is permitted beyond incentives compatible with an X-Plan deal.

Last edited by AusTXMCA; 4/22/10 at 06:31 PM.
Old 4/22/10, 06:33 PM
Cobra R Member

the one thing a regular "discount" purchase is going to include is whatever dealer processing/doc fee they want to charge you. With X-plan, it's not more than $75.
Old 4/22/10, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I've been through this recently with a few dealers -- you cannot "combine" X-Plan with other discounts; it does not work as a discount, it works as a set price with no haggling needed or allowed. For example right now dealers are offering prices below X-Plan; and when I ask them "what about my X-Plan, does that do anything for me?" they say "yes, it gets you a higher price." Crazy, but that's how it works, and they won't even open up their minds to think about the logic of it.

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
the one thing a regular "discount" purchase is going to include is whatever dealer processing/doc fee they want to charge you. With X-plan, it's not more than $75.
Are you saying that, if you use X-Plan, the dealer must reduce their doc fee to $75? That is good news, most of the dealers around here stick you with about $400 "doc fee", which they conveniently neglect to mention when they give you a price. And when asked, they say "we charge that on every car, by law if we charge it on one we have to charge it on all" . . . so I wonder if the X-Plan rule gets around that law?

(of course the simple solution is they need to reduce the price some more . . . but with the non-negotiable X-Plan rule, it's a catch-22)
Old 4/22/10, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I have heard of people doing x-plan pricing along with current incentives however i doubt there will be any on the 5.0.

No way you'll be able to find anyone to take below x-plan/USAA, if you do consider yourself very lucky.
Old 4/22/10, 07:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$500 rebate on the 5.0 with the X-plan.

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
I have heard of people doing x-plan pricing along with current incentives however i doubt there will be any on the 5.0.

No way you'll be able to find anyone to take below x-plan/USAA, if you do consider yourself very lucky.
Old 4/22/10, 07:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bert
I've been through this recently with a few dealers -- you cannot "combine" X-Plan with other discounts; it does not work as a discount, it works as a set price with no haggling needed or allowed. For example right now dealers are offering prices below X-Plan; and when I ask them "what about my X-Plan, does that do anything for me?" they say "yes, it gets you a higher price." Crazy, but that's how it works, and they won't even open up their minds to think about the logic of it.

Are you saying that, if you use X-Plan, the dealer must reduce their doc fee to $75? That is good news, most of the dealers around here stick you with about $400 "doc fee", which they conveniently neglect to mention when they give you a price. And when asked, they say "we charge that on every car, by law if we charge it on one we have to charge it on all" . . . so I wonder if the X-Plan rule gets around that law?

(of course the simple solution is they need to reduce the price some more . . . but with the non-negotiable X-Plan rule, it's a catch-22)
Yes, doc fees are LIMITED to $75 under x-plan. That little "we charge everybody that so by law we have to charge you" is malarkey. Suddenlty under x-plan they can't so they don't??? This is probably the BIGGEST reason besides the lack of negotiation on a new, in demand popular model. So factor in their doc fee/processing fee/prep fee/porta-potty fee when you negotiate price. Make sure you have the OUT THE DOOR price.
Old 4/22/10, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin

True. In Virginia processing fees are like 300-500 bucks. Maryland is only 90.
Old 4/22/10, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went through USAA for mine (I think). I'm not sure how the process works exactly, all I know is the guy actually knocked some off of USAA's price, then tacked on the dealer service fee, but it ultimately came out a bit less than USAA. Whether that means the dealer bypassed USAA to avoid paying a finder's fee or whatever, I don't know, but I figure they can figure it out. Still, USAA actually was pretty handy just for introducing dealer reps. Five minutes to figure out which dealer was really going to deal and not try to push a 2010 off on me with sleazy dealer tactics (One of them even told me pricing was not available on 2011s. This was after Ford launched the 2011 Mustang builder tool, complete with pricing, hehe). Next day I just dropped by the dealer, finalized the options, put pen to paper and that was pretty much it.

They might come off anyway if you find the right dealer to order through, but this is what worked for me. It's a lot better than trying to get a new one off the lot right after release that's for sure. I learned that with the Camaro.
Old 4/22/10, 11:02 PM
GT Member

X-Plan doc fee is fixed $75. If you buy the car on X-Plan it is a set fixed amount. No negotiation. No prep fees. If Ford is having any factory incentives whether it it a rebate or financing at the time of delivery you may participate. Currently it is $500 cash rebate or 0 % financing for 36 months.
Old 4/22/10, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

No negotiation.
Negotiating is fun. It's capitalism at its finest. Dealers compete for YOU!
Old 4/23/10, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by jokerstars
Negotiating is fun. It's capitalism at its finest. Dealers compete for YOU!
Until you realize that 2 of the 3 ford deales in your town are owned by the same guy guy/group and have to drive 300 miles to get a competitive offer.
Old 4/23/10, 07:29 AM
GT Member

I could have driven 8 hours each way to go to Rochester NY to get the car for #300 under invoice, from Paul at Van Bortel Ford but that was a 1-2 day 2 driver deal. Or I could have gotten the car from Jeff at Yocum Ford in Lansdown Pa. for $ 300 over invoice, a 2 1/2 hour drive for me, but I was able to get the GT from a dealer literally a mile from where( Hoffman Ford) I live for the X-Plan price, which is about $100 over invoice. They have an excellent service reputation so i was a no brainer as my time is worth a lot to me..so much so that I'm off to the Carlise Old car show today in my "other Ford"...everyone have a great Friday!!!

Quick Reply: USAA Car Buying service