2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

UPS dented my axle-backs!

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/11, 04:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPS dented my axle-backs!

UPS delivered my GT500 axle-backs today. Unfortunately, they must have been dropped pretty hard because part of one muffler was sticking out of the box and the clamp has a small dent in it. Hopefully the attached pics show it well enough.

I'd really hate to have to send these back, so my question to the group is, do you think this will still mate up properly? I've never done work on a Mustang, so I'm not sure how exact the fitment needs to be, but I obviously don't want to end up with a leak.

Alternatively, do you think I could bang this back into shape? The dent is small, but the steel seems pretty thick, so I'm not sure a few whacks with a hammer will do much of anything.

I bought these from Late Model Restoration, so I know they are a reputable vendor in case I need to send these back.

So frustrating. I was hoping to bang out my Barton shifter & bracket, axle-backs and Steeda CAI & tune all on Friday.

Thanks!
- Mike
Attached Thumbnails UPS dented my axle-backs!-photo-1.jpg   UPS dented my axle-backs!-photo-2.jpg   UPS dented my axle-backs!-photo-3.jpg  
Old 5/23/11, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can see by the pictures that it wasn't properly packed. Blame the shipper for jamming an awkwardly shaped object into a box to small. Clue 1. The corners aren't crushed. The dented tip was under pressure in the corner of the box until it finally broke through.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 5/23/11 at 04:55 PM.
Old 5/23/11, 04:54 PM
Cobra Member

Man that sucks mike. Honestly I would send them back, they should of never sent your product in a flimsy box like that. Might even get a discount on your next purchase for the inconvenience, I would ask for that at least.
Old 5/23/11, 04:58 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you note the damage when you signed for the package from UPS? The shipper has insurance from UPS for damage in transit, but often it needs to be noted by the receiver upon delivery.

If you didn't note the damage, your excellent pictures of the box damage (before it was opened) may also work.
Old 5/23/11, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SD6
Did you note the damage when you signed for the package from UPS? The shipper has insurance from UPS for damage in transit, but often it needs to be noted by the receiver upon delivery.

If you didn't note the damage, your excellent pictures of the box damage (before it was opened) may also work.
Ups will not cover damage from poorly packed items. That will be on the shipper.
Old 5/23/11, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since it isn't a cosmetic item that you can see with the mufflers installed on the car, I'd just install them. You can either try and tap the hanger out even a little with a hammer, or just leave it, and it will probably reform to its proper shape once you install the mufflers and tighten the clamp down.

Just as a side note, I work for UPS, and see exhaust systems and mufflers come through all the time that just have a label slapped on them, no packing material around them at all.
Old 5/23/11, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

My magnflows came packed tight nothing was moving in that box and the box was pretty thick cardboard double layered. My x pipe came in a regular cardboard box with no packing!
Old 5/23/11, 06:11 PM
GTR Member

That little ding in the clamp is all you're worried about?

Hell, get some pliers and straighten it out and put it on and don't worry about it.

I would raise a little hell with LRS about the crappy packing job but then forget about it.
Old 5/23/11, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep....send pics to the place you bought them with a complaint and then install them. That little ding is no problem.
Old 5/23/11, 06:37 PM
Banned

Agree^^^

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 5/23/11 at 06:40 PM.
Old 5/23/11, 06:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's still good!
Old 5/23/11, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Mine came in a box from Ford Racing. I wonder what they (whoever you purchased from) did with the original box that came with the mufflers
Old 5/23/11, 06:44 PM
GT Member

Should be no issue. My 500 were damaged as well, except they were the tips. I was able to massage the metal, can hardly notice that they were dinged.
Old 5/23/11, 06:49 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SD6

Overall I've had great results from UPS, but sometimes they drop and run so you can't get it on record with the driver.

Looked great from the front when I drove up:
Attached Images   
Old 5/23/11, 07:13 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to attempt the install, but first I'm going to contact the vendor to let them know what happened and that I will be returning them if I run into any problems.

And yes, the packaging is pretty poor. The cardboard box is pretty thin and the mufflers are basically floating around in there with just a few sheets of bubble wrap thrown around and a piece of cardboard to separate them. The only good thing is that the tips are protected by thick cardboard tubing, so they are in perfect condition. The odd thing is that the other side of the box has what looks like an official Ford Racing sticker, so I wonder if this is in fact the original packaging.

Let's hope I have better luck with my other shipments.

- Mike
Old 5/23/11, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ups dents a lot of boxes
Old 5/23/11, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
That little ding in the clamp is all you're worried about?

Hell, get some pliers and straighten it out and put it on and don't worry about it.

I would raise a little hell with LRS about the crappy packing job but then forget about it.
Agreed
Old 5/23/11, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 5/23/11, 09:53 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I've got a great driver on my route. He takes care of me. But even I know there is no way on earth he handles a claim. It's just the way the UPS system works.

Theyve got to be doing something right. They're not exactly hurting for business.
Old 5/24/11, 07:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I can see by the pictures that it wasn't properly packed. Blame the shipper for jamming an awkwardly shaped object into a box to small. Clue 1. The corners aren't crushed. The dented tip was under pressure in the corner of the box until it finally broke through.
Well....YOu can blame that on Ford as their original packaging. is a thin, Flimsy box, likely not meant for general shipping. Mine came in original packaging though liberally wrapped in Bubble with no damage ,

On that dent, you've got to be kidding, right? That is so minor you can either knock or bend it out with pliers , or transfer your straight clamps from your OEM system. Honestly, that is no big deal considering the hassle it will be to return it...

Last edited by Modshack; 5/24/11 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: UPS dented my axle-backs!