Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

unknown

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/20, 01:04 AM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
unknown

I am not sure what happened my car has been parked since oct last year started and left running every 2-3 weeks for 25 mins at a time i put my battery charger on it 3 weeks ago and it said 18% battery so i let it charge till it hit approx 90% as i had to go out that was 3 weeks ago, now tonight i go outside around 11pm and my hazards are blinking for no apparent reason so i go down to the car and push the button and they turn off or so i thought the lights in my steering wheel,and console stayed on after i locked the car so i figured maybe its a safety feature and i'll check in 5 minutes as its 4c here and i was only in a t-shirt so i make my way to my house look out the window and the hazards are flashing again so i pull out the trusty 8mm socket make my way to the car push the hazards button and the trunk opens now i am getting really confused. so i open the hood make sure everything is closed and disconnect the negative cable and waited and then disconnected the positive as if its a dead battery i will charge it in the am as it was 11:30pm and i am working by mag light and feel.

just seems strange the car had a new battery july 2018 and it's a 2014 mustang gt so a battery after 4 years i now isn't unheard of but i am still operating on a 9yr old optimum red top in my mini-van. is there something i might be missing here other than i should be driving the car instead of letting it sit i am trying to hold out till April to put insurance on it but i think i might be doing this sooner than later
Old 2/12/20, 07:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
wow that post is a tough read, you might want to consider using some punctuation, line breaks, capitalization to make it a little easier for people to read, if you want more responses

My first guess is the battery is shot. Even though it is fairly new, if batteries are left sitting for long periods of time with low or partial charge, they develop problems like dead cells and other issues. And the car can do all kinds of weird electrical things when the battery has some voltage but is not up to the right voltage range where the computer is happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
DJ2014 (2/22/20), shaneyusa (2/13/20)
Old 2/12/20, 11:10 AM
V6 Member

Sorry I may not be an English major like you but at least i got my point out there, i did hook up the charger this morning and it read 11.2v and 19% so i went and set it up for a 2A trickle charge and by the time i left the car it was at 27%, Yes this could be a faulty battery and yes i will load test it after it's done but i think i bought myself a DUD
Old 2/12/20, 12:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Battery would be the first thing I would check as well the condition of the terminals. I don't think Bert was trying to be insulting. it is just it is hard to read a long continuous sentence like that and more knowledgeable people might just skip it.
The following users liked this post:
DJ2014 (2/22/20)
Old 2/12/20, 01:12 PM
V6 Member

i am charging the battery now it is at 95% charged and i will try it again but i have NEVER seen a car with a low battery act in weird ways but it is a ford i might need to invest in a battery tender or a solar panel just to trickle charge it while it's parked...after i load test it i will make the judgement call if it needs a battery but it's only a year old and i have never had a battery crap out after a year
Old 2/12/20, 03:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

battery is just the first simple thing to eliminate before moving on to more difficult and expensive things . . . . and beware that those Advance Auto battery testers are not reliable, I have had those show a battery was good when it was not . . . I bought a new battery and the problem was solved
Old 2/12/20, 05:06 PM
V6 Member

i got it all charged up started it up everything seemed fine till i touched the trac control and it opened the trunk and when i pushed the hazards it would cycle the trac control....process of elimination i just ordered a new switch cost me 45.00 dollars canadian. just need to figure out how the darn console comes out in the convertible.

also not sure why it would pick NOW to act up but while i had it running it wouldn't act up but as soon as i left it alone it started it could also be the hood switch for the alarm .. will be back in 2 days as that's when my parts arrive
Old 2/12/20, 05:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I totally overlooked the car being stored. You might want to look over as much wiring as you can find. Mice like to nibble on wiring, stuffing in the seats, etc.
DJ2014 (2/22/20)
Old 2/12/20, 05:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Mustang_Driver
Sorry I may not be an English major like you but at least i got my point out there...
This bothers me. It should bother you greatly, 14.

I don't know if English is your first language. Or second. Or whatever. It looks like you know it well enough, though. All I know is that you really didn't need to have that attitude. We're trying to help. That includes asking you to make your posts more desirable and easier to read, so we can understand and want to help. As it is, I'm bailing on this topic because I simply can't follow your posts. Too much work.

I do wish you good luck with your issues.

/Written communication isn't exactly dead yet, but it sure looks like people are trying to kill it. Thank you internet and texting.
shaneyusa (2/13/20)
Old 2/12/20, 07:48 PM
GT Member

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts
houtex nailed it!

That being said... I'll bite. Definitely check for critter evidence. That way things are working or not working is an indicator that wiring might be crossed and generally a mess. It wouldn't take long to pull some panels and get a visual. I guess since you ordered the switch you'll know soon enough when you get it installed.

Old 2/15/20, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thought Canadians were nice people lol
Old 2/18/20, 04:28 PM
V6 Member

well i got it repaired...cost me 190.00 and about 1 hour of my time, i can't speak for all canadians but i am usually pretty calm just look at the news you can see there is upheaval here in canada.

it turned out to be my console switch for the trac. control,hazards,trunk opener there was a bit of corrosion and a broken pin inside the plug. replaced it and it works fine
Old 2/19/20, 06:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

cool, glad you got it fixed . . . just curious, how did they isolate the problem to that switch?
Old 2/19/20, 01:27 PM
V6 Member

well i kind of had a feeling it was something to do with the switch as if you tapped it it would turn off tracion control or open the trunk, so after i figured out how the console came out and got the switch out, the wiring connector had corrosion on it and the switch was missing a pin as it broke off.

so i ordered the new switch (OEM only product) i asked the parts guy if he ever saw this and he said no but anything can happen. mentioned for the cost of the new switch i should invest in some dielectric grease and put that on the connector

well i spent 1 hour getting the broken pin out of the connector and cleaning everything up and with the new switch everything seems to work like a charm