2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Unbiased

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/10 | 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll go but keep in mind that I haven't driven either car in question. The Camaro is a cool-looking car, rarely will you be able to drive something so close to its conept version legally. But, styling is slightly cartoonish, which can be either a pro or con, depending on your mood. I'd get a dark/grey or black, the car's exterior is busy enough, no need for a bright color.

I don't mind the interior, that's my biggest gripe against the Challenger. The LS series V8 is no spring chicken, mods are already proven and readily available. But, I have to say the lure of the Camaro is starting to fade, drove past Chevy dealer and they had 7 collecting dust and when I see them on the street, I feel no emotion anymore.

The 2011 on paper seems nearly perfect to me, dare I say I prefer the styling of the CS to the brutish Camaro, I do. I don't care much for the exterior of the base and premGT's, save that 5.0badge but it's what's under the hood that matters.

All in all, I'm a Mustang fan so no Camaro for me but I might have sat out on the 2011 if not for the CS package, maybe.
Old 5/11/10 | 09:11 PM
Cobra R Member

All the bronzer has gone to your brain.
Old 5/11/10 | 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
I was going to test drive one, but then I thought about all the time I needed to grow my hair out and was like naaaah.
You only need to grow the back out, like this guy.

Old 5/12/10 | 02:46 AM
Banned

My buddy came by last nite with his brand new Camaro 2SS in Orange with Orange leather---

Went for a drive in it--------

Felt big, almost like i was sailing

Being that im in the market for a new car, id figure id ask my "buddies" over here on the forum what THEY thought of it---

No need to rag on me for that-----

To those that actually gave their opinion,

THANK YOU

To the wise asses who posted, well you know the 3 letter word that follows the four letter word?
Old 5/12/10 | 04:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by silverbull271
Has anyone drive the Camaro 2SS?

How was it?

PLease----be unbiased
More fun than my '05 GT (power standpoint only), not as comforting in tight corners (the nose pushes -didn't want to give it more throttle to break loose the rear, wasn't my vehicle). Would have gone w/ a Eibach kit within the first week!

I like the nostalgia of the console gauges... like the look/layout of the interior, but @ 5'9" I felt like I needed a booster seat -there is plenty of adjustment in the driver seat... just not as clear where the nose ends compared to my '05 and it wasn't as comfortable (on my shoulder) to rest my arm on the door.

My original plan was to keep my '05 GT 'til the Camaro was paid off, then trade the '05 for a 5.0L S197. With recent events, I'm getting the 2011 5.0L GT now and waiting on the grille, intake (SLPish) & suspension (Z5#?) changes to the 2012 Camaro SS.
Old 5/12/10 | 05:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
You only need to grow the back out, like this guy.

Old 5/12/10 | 05:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

My buddy came by last nite with his brand new Camaro 2SS in Orange with Orange leather---

Being that im in the market for a new car, id figure id ask my "buddies" over here on the forum what THEY thought of it---

THANK YOU

To the wise asses who posted, well you know the 3 letter word that follows the four letter word?
great post!! Thats why this forum is here, to ask questions and learn what other people have to say about things.

I like the camaro not 100% but I like it. looks mean coming down the road. I sat in one and it did feel small to me. It felt like it would hold you in place through tight turns. I would like to drive one.
Old 5/12/10 | 05:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
I can haz Camaro?
There needs to be a picture of a cat with this.
Old 5/12/10 | 05:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Everyone knows mullets get the hot chicks...
Old 5/12/10 | 06:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin

Old 5/12/10 | 06:10 AM
GTR Member

THANK YOU

I just feel like these type of threads are useless when the OP doesn't do the homework before posting. If you haven't driven them, you're asking if we think you're cool looking in this car or that car. That does nothing. If you come in and say "I drove X and Y and I'm torn, please advise", then it makes a lot more sense. People can offer perspectives that you might not have thought of, or can go into detail on a topic that you have some info about now.

Oh, and people who are wise asses are just giving you the truth. Sounds like you don't like it.
Old 5/12/10 | 06:26 AM
Cobra R Member

NICE!
Old 5/12/10 | 07:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

I was at the dealer introduction show in Detroit last week and got to drive both RS and SS Camaro as well as the 2011 Mustangs on an autocross type course. I do like the exterior appearance of the Camaro, actually have loved that body style (67-69) since I was a kid. The interior was very unimpressive and confining. I'm only 5'7" so the beltline felt like it was shoulder high. The SS stick had good straight line power but I was stunned by how heavy the steering was in the corners. I have never thought of the Mustang as having "tossability" like a Porsche, Miata, etc.. but after driving the Camaro then jumping into the GT and running the same course that was the exact feeling I got. The steering was much lighter and much more "point and shoot" in the corners. The Camaro seems like it still suffers from the same problems of 20-40 years ago, great looks, great straight line performance just pray there are no curves in your path.

That being said, most of us don't track or autocross these cars so drive both, decide what you like and enjoy it.
Old 5/12/10 | 07:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I sat in a Camaro; didn't like it and the salesman was a dick anyway. As soon as I see one at the local Chevy dealer, I'm gonna drive one just for fun. If they'll let me that is... I've never seen one there for more than a day or two, so they may be sold before they come in. The Camaro boys sure think it's the schizzle.
Old 5/12/10 | 07:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
LOL, if I had the photoshop skillz I would....
Old 5/12/10 | 07:38 AM
Cobra Member

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5/12/10 | 10:45 AM
Post *****

Old 5/12/10 | 11:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Sorry if any of you are offended (well not really)

Old 5/12/10 | 11:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, I didn't drive it because I feel bad wasting a salesperson's time... but I just got back from the Chevy store. Took a very long, critical look at a loaded up black 2SS. My first comment would be the very (very!) heavy orange peel on the paint. Other than that, I was impressed at how well everything fit together. Still don't like the 'cartoonish' figure of the car, but as I've said before, it looks better to me in person than in pictures. I don't like the 'sharp' body transitions at all, particularly at the rear of the door where it widens waaaay out (The sharp edges on the last generation Mustang body turned me off also). I'm not sure I understand why so much muffler shows below the valance... that silver is glaring under the black car.

I'm only 6'1", and I have to have the seat way down there to keep my head off the roof. Way down. The interior didn't look as 'stark' as I remember from my 30 second examination last fall, but the hard plastic stuck out. It didn't look cheap to me... in fact, it was almost pleasing... but it felt cheap. I hear a lot of people jabbering about the steering wheel, but it looked and felt fine to me. Ford needs to put a telescoping wheel in the Mustang. The leather/stitched shifter was very nice. Sexy. Seats looked and felt good enough to sit in, but whatever that crap is that GM is using for faux leather doesn't do it for me. Feels funny to run your hands over it. The radio display looked awfully big. Too big, and right front and center where the cover is bound to get scratched up. Rear seat looked more functional than the Mustang. Although the trunk lid looks small on the car, it didn't look bad standing there looking down with it open, and there was a lot more room inside than I was expecting.

I'm already thinking ahead to the next Mustang remodel, and if they tone down the body on the Camaro I might have to give it another look come buying time.
Old 5/12/10 | 12:26 PM
Banned

Ok

I just got back from Chevy Dealership-----

I test drove a fully loaded Camaro 2SS black coupe manual----

Now i have been a mustang enthus. since im 6 yo-----BUT

That new camaro is a BEAST!

Its raining here in NY tri state area, so i reallly cdnt get on it, but the car has some *****!!!!!!!

I was toiling around town in 3rd gear with all the power and sound (exahust sounds good) i could need in town!

The interior needs getting used to----there are plenty of blind spots----

Car is big, but kind of "sucks" the road in (dont feel potholes)

It has a nice sound LOUD----took it up to 4K on the tach and it was ROARING

The manual shifter is nice---clutch is light and needs getting used to with all tht power---

All in all i wld consider buying it, BUT i am awaiting my STANG!

Cant knock the car though---Its a nice car and one mean **** beastly ride!

Quick Reply: Unbiased