Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Trying to figure out my autocross class. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/12, 12:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trying to figure out my autocross class. Help?

Going to start autocrossing the '12 this year, and need some clarification on the class for it from any of the experienced pros. I am unsure if I will be in the FS(stock muscle car class) or move up in the street touring.

Only major mods (besides an axleback exhaust and appearance mods) are a MGW shifter, Koni Sport struts and shocks, Ford racing lowering springs, and a stainless steel braided clutch line.

It's the last three that have me thinking I may have to go into SM, as the scca rules say lowering doesnt count for stock, nor do braided lines. I don't know if the adjustable Koni's affect anything.

Any insight from any of the experianced racers?
Thanks

Last edited by LEwis26; 3/20/12 at 01:26 PM.
Old 3/20/12, 01:12 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non R-compound tires 265 or less on wheels no wider than 9 inches? STX.
Wider than 265 but less than or equal to 285, or wheels wider than 9 inches? STU.

Go here to download the rulebook: http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517

That's just for the SCCA. Other clubs may have different classes, and some SCCA clubs have special regional or club classes. Just ask for help classing your car when you go.

Last edited by TheLeech; 3/20/12 at 01:15 PM.
Old 3/20/12, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

I meant street touring not street modified.

I'm just gonna wait til the first even in 3 weeks and see what the tech guys say. I won't compete at all with my current mods in street modified.

I'll have much better luck in stock.
Old 3/20/12, 01:59 PM

^ This. If you want to run STU/STX.

But because of your spring change (and possibly some of your "appearance mods,") you could run in ESP. Not 100% sure if your exhaust kicks you out of FS as well. Koni's are fine.

If you just plan to run in region events, just ask others in your class if they object and most of the time they will let you run in their class.....until you start beating them...lol.

ESP is probably where you want to end up. Do not replace your Lower Control Arms. That will definitely bump you in class but a lot of people on here think it makes a great mod to our cars.

HTH,
Old 3/20/12, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by a50cobra
^ This. If you want to run STU/STX.

But because of your spring change (and possibly some of your "appearance mods,") you could run in ESP. Not 100% sure if your exhaust kicks you out of FS as well. Koni's are fine.

If you just plan to run in region events, just ask others in your class if they object and most of the time they will let you run in their class.....until you start beating them...lol.

ESP is probably where you want to end up. Do not replace your Lower Control Arms. That will definitely bump you in class but a lot of people on here think it makes a great mod to our cars.

HTH,
^ This. A lot of guys in Atlanta run ESP on street tires mainly because their cars are underprepared to have a remote chance of beating the RX8's or BMW's in STX or the boost buggies in STU. With your mods done so far, you can run any of those classes.
Old 3/20/12, 02:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not participate in the novice class (unless you have done this before)?
Old 3/20/12, 02:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Why not participate in the novice class (unless you have done this before)?

I haven't raced at all. Didn't know that was allowed. I thought you still needed a class to participate in.
Old 3/20/12, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like you'd be in STX, assuming you meet the maximum width requirements for wheels and tires that Leech mentioned above. I ran in STX for a couple of seasons with my Mustangs and it was a lot of fun. We had decent sized classes locally, 10-15 cars was often the norm, and a lot of different types of cars to run against.
Old 3/20/12, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26
I haven't raced at all. Didn't know that was allowed. I thought you still needed a class to participate in.
My area SCCA chapter runs a novice class wherein there are lots of different vehicles, although most are stock or lightly modified. The thinking is that while you are becoming more familiar with participating in one of these events, having a separate class where you are not competing against more experienced drivers would help.

While folks here can guide you toward a specific class based on the rules, I'd suggest checking with the group that is putting on your autocross and see if this option is available.

All out race cars are about the only vehicles I've seen that don't make it into novice.

Good luck!