Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tri-coat paint

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/11, 07:39 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tri-coat paint

Anyone know what is meant and involved in the Tri-Coat paint process like Yellow Blaze?

Is it going to cost an arm and a leg to get repaired if something happens to it?
Old 1/29/11, 08:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
From the way it was explained to me at the body shop that 3 times tried to fix the seam sealer on my 2002 Explorers Roof that was Tri-Coat Pearl, it was the base, then the pearl and then the clear.
They never did get it right
Old 1/29/11, 09:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a very good friend that is a paint and body guru....he steered me clear of any tri-coat paint process. He says it is impossible to get it right
Old 1/30/11, 12:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Newsflash: Red Candy is technically a "tri-coat" color. Just like Laser Red and Redfire were. They have tinted clearcoats, which give them that purple tinge in different lighting. Unfortunately when they fade/have to be matched, it is impossible. That's why you pay extra for Red Candy.
Old 1/30/11, 06:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Newsflash: Red Candy is technically a "tri-coat" color. . . . have tinted clearcoats . . . Unfortunately when they fade/have to be matched, it is impossible. That's why you pay extra for Red Candy.
Yeah I'm afraid that could be an issue someday . . .

but isn't Red Candy "two-coat", color plus tinted clear?
Old 1/30/11, 10:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
I'm not terribly sure about the Red Candy they're putting on the cars, but I want to say it's the same process: three paints. Although it's probably been modernized and production sped up. It may not be exactly the same as true candy paint.

Any proper 'candy' or other specialty 'deeper' gloss metallic colors such as these are the following:

Base coat to set the primary color. Red or Yellow, or black in the case of the Mystics.

'Shimmer Tint' clear coat to put the metallic, pearl, or special 'tint'. This is NOT a true pearl or metallic paint, but a coat to sit on top, and what light gets through the 'tint' coat is reflected with the base coat's color. This is what makes it different from a true metallic/pearl coat, you won't get the same effects without the dual 'color' layers. This also applies to candies, the base color and the candy color together is how you get the total color overall, even without any metallics in it. Candy also makes it look deeper than the single stage color would be.

'Top gloss clear' coat is next to deepen it and make it glossy, and protect them.

The second coat is why it's dang near impossible to match. It's bad enough with paint fade with a solid coat or a two stage, but that middle coat really screws things up for matching. And if the clearcoat is tinted itself? You will pretty much never get it right.

Last edited by houtex; 1/30/11 at 11:00 AM.
Old 1/30/11, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This makes me happy I got Black! But it takes a lot of work to keep clean
Old 1/30/11, 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Onelildude
This makes me happy I got Black!
And me Grabber Blue, not even any flake to screw up the process
Old 2/7/11, 01:29 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have yellow blaze n had my bumper repaired to loose the holes from the license bracket because the idiots at my dealership put holes in it upon arrival..... but when they repaired it, it looks flawless......from Ford bodyshop so hogwash on the its hard to repair...... take it from me.....oh yeah it is color-pearl-clearcoat
Old 2/7/11, 01:32 AM
Bullitt Member

How many coats does Lava Red use? Is this going to be easy for shops to match?
Old 2/7/11, 09:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Cornezy
I have yellow blaze n had my bumper repaired to loose the holes from the license bracket because the idiots at my dealership put holes in it upon arrival..... but when they repaired it, it looks flawless......from Ford bodyshop so hogwash on the its hard to repair...... take it from me.....oh yeah it is color-pearl-clearcoat
If you had this done 3 years from now, and you daily drive your car/park it outside, you would notice it a lot more. Your car was brand new. Of course they can match brand new paint...
Old 2/7/11, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's no reason a good shop can't match a tri-coat paint. Sure its more difficult and in some cases a part will have to be painted twice.

I had a laser red 95 GT that was repainted in 2006, and I had a few panels redone since and they're all perfect matches although a door had to be shot twice due to the first mix/application not being perfect in match.

I'm not worried about getting panels painted for my yellow triblaze, as I've seen a few painted pieces so far and matches look to be excellent.
Old 2/7/11, 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have a 2000 Laser Red, which has been parked outside all its life, and when I got hit on the right side in summer 2009, the body shop would only repaint that half of the car. The pillars/roof/trunklid are all several shades lighter than the repainted panels due to the fading. The new paint looks great though, like it did when factory. At some point, I'll just buckle down and repaint the whole car...but I really want to bedline the whole car in a metallic red, but obviously matte. I think it will look awesome and be tough as nails.
Old 2/7/11, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2000 Laser Red, which has been parked outside all its life, and when I got hit on the right side in summer 2009, the body shop would only repaint that half of the car. The pillars/roof/trunklid are all several shades lighter than the repainted panels due to the fading. The new paint looks great though, like it did when factory. At some point, I'll just buckle down and repaint the whole car...but I really want to bedline the whole car in a metallic red, but obviously matte. I think it will look awesome and be tough as nails.
you want to do what?!

Laser red is beautiful when painted fresh and clean:

Old 2/7/11, 05:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Newsflash: Red Candy is technically a "tri-coat" color. Just like Laser Red and Redfire were. They have tinted clearcoats, which give them that purple tinge in different lighting. Unfortunately when they fade/have to be matched, it is impossible. That's why you pay extra for Red Candy.
Was that directed at me??? I bought my Red Candy used. The Grabber Blue was my first choice when i ordered my 1st 2010. I got a great deal on the Red Candy and it had low miles.
Old 2/7/11, 06:14 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm buying a Red Candy 2012 Focus, fingers crossed I never have to match paint!
Old 2/7/11, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Was that directed at me??? I bought my Red Candy used. The Grabber Blue was my first choice when i ordered my 1st 2010. I got a great deal on the Red Candy and it had low miles.
Eh, indirectly directed at you lol. I know you had the GB one first. But just letting you know, after 5 years of daily driving and parking in the driveway, it WILL fade...
Old 2/7/11, 08:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Eh, indirectly directed at you lol. I know you had the GB one first. But just letting you know, after 5 years of daily driving and parking in the driveway, it WILL fade...
Good thing she has a dedicated spot in the garage then!!
Old 2/7/11, 09:01 PM
GT Member

If you had this done 3 years from now, and you daily drive your car/park it outside, you would notice it a lot more. Your car was brand new. Of course they can match brand new paint...
Well paint these days dont fade that quickly....so maybe 20 years ago but u should be fine these days
Old 2/8/11, 06:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad i got P White, easy to keep clean and easy to match..