Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Traction Control and Advancetrac

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/15, 08:48 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
Quick update on this. I do believe I have an issue with my advancetrac/traction control system.

1. I drove my car this morning into work in "sport mode" and the car is a beast. no issues at all. Car launches well, no bogging, etc.

2. If I put my foot on the brake, and hold the TC button until "advancetrac off" message is displayed. when launching hard from a light, and the car spins the tires hard for about 20 feet, then the system kills power to the car. Something is definitely not disabled in the system even though everything should be disabled.

Thoughts???
Bring it in to get it checked out and PM me your info, 2014GHIGGT.

Deysha
Old 3/31/15, 08:59 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try turning both off?

First turn off Traction Control, and then turn off Advancetrac.

See how that works. If you are just turning off Advancetrac that could be why your wheelspins are being cut off after 20 feet or so, because traction control is still on.
Old 3/31/15, 09:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Did you try turning both off?

First turn off Traction Control, and then turn off Advancetrac.

See how that works. If you are just turning off Advancetrac that could be why your wheelspins are being cut off after 20 feet or so, because traction control is still on.
Long pressing the button turns both off.
Old 3/31/15, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A friend of mine with a Boss 302 told me about the Advance Track Off option. He said his car gained MPH and was faster in the 1/4 mile with Advance Track off completely. I have never raced my car to find out. I usually just leave the whole thing on. It has probably saved me once or twice when the car breaks loose at 50 mph.
Old 3/31/15, 10:28 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I generally leave mine on as well. Friends that go to the local track turn it off while racing. Even with it on, mine will briefly break the rears loose at WOT when it shifts around 80 mph. I love the power these 5.0's have in even relatively stock form (CAI/tune for me).
Old 3/31/15, 11:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
I generally leave mine on as well. Friends that go to the local track turn it off while racing. Even with it on, mine will briefly break the rears loose at WOT when it shifts around 80 mph. I love the power these 5.0's have in even relatively stock form (CAI/tune for me).
I found out last week why I will turn mine off at all times. It's a Mustang, of course I have a little fun taking off from a light every now and then, and the TC lets you get away with a LOT. Unfortunately, I hit a patch of leaves last week as I gunned it in 2nd and the rear end came around on me (I always run TC on for daily driving). I just passed the threshold angle for the SC/TC to kick in, because it cut the power as I was counter steering and catching the slide, leaving me dead in the water half way between lanes, and the Mercedes GL didn't try to swerve or stop, so he plowed right into me. I feel, if the TC was off, I could've maneuvered out of his way or back into my lane, but the TC killed it just as I regained control.

My 2003 GT had a tune that turned the TC always off, so I was used to a RWD car without any nannies. I was kinda afraid of the 5.0, being the highest powered car I've ever driven, so I always left the TC on, for daily driving. I think I'm going to have it always off now, unless it's raining.
Old 3/31/15, 11:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
On the Boss 302 press ing the brake and holding traction button for 10 seconds turns off all traction control
Old 3/31/15, 11:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
On the Boss 302 press ing the brake and holding traction button for 10 seconds turns off all traction control
On the '13 Shelby it's the same except for the 5-second period instead of 10.
Old 3/31/15, 12:29 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I found out last week why I will turn mine off at all times. It's a Mustang, of course I have a little fun taking off from a light every now and then, and the TC lets you get away with a LOT. Unfortunately, I hit a patch of leaves last week as I gunned it in 2nd and the rear end came around on me (I always run TC on for daily driving). I just passed the threshold angle for the SC/TC to kick in, because it cut the power as I was counter steering and catching the slide, leaving me dead in the water half way between lanes, and the Mercedes GL didn't try to swerve or stop, so he plowed right into me. I feel, if the TC was off, I could've maneuvered out of his way or back into my lane, but the TC killed it just as I regained control.

My 2003 GT had a tune that turned the TC always off, so I was used to a RWD car without any nannies. I was kinda afraid of the 5.0, being the highest powered car I've ever driven, so I always left the TC on, for daily driving. I think I'm going to have it always off now, unless it's raining.

I do wish the TC wasn't so abrupt. There has to be a better way than killing 100% of the power. I've had that happen on a few occasions...once or twice while driving in a straight line....gun it, TC kicks in....coast and wait for the throttle to respond again. VERY disconcerting.
Old 3/31/15, 01:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
On the '13 Shelby it's the same except for the 5-second period instead of 10.
I guess Boss drivers are all older and dont have such quick reactions, that is why Ford makes us hold for 10 seconds
Old 3/31/15, 05:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If you are a spirited driver and leave TC and AdvanceTrac on all the time, you will wear out your rear brake pads sooner.
Old 3/31/15, 05:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha ha. Nice one. I am finding myself driving in full off most of the time unless it's crazy raining or cold out. I have had it interfere more than I want on the track even in Advance Trak Sport.
Old 4/1/15, 04:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be taking mine to the dealer as clearly my system has an issue and isn't fully disabling.
Old 4/1/15, 03:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
I'll be taking mine to the dealer as clearly my system has an issue and isn't fully disabling.
I've never really tried it with Advanced Trac off b/c I don't care for burning off my tires but before i got new ones I pushed the button and it said "traction control off" as expected. I did a heck of a burnout and doughnut before I gave up. Never once did anything kick in. I do have a tune thought so I don't know if they changed anything but I doubt it would over ride Fords programming on that. Try traction control off and see what happens
Old 4/1/15, 04:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 541 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
Yeah, I'd be taking it to the dealership for it to be looked at. You'd be the best person to demonstrate it as well. I wouldn't want them to abuse them to abuse my car for testing purposes.
"Hey Joe, this guy's complaining that when he peels out the Advancetrac is kicking in, let's go do some "testing" " ..... yeah, just what I'd want to bring a car like this to the dealership for, lol ...

Robert, sorry you're having these issues ... I'd call the Service Manager and make an appointment with him/her to go on a roadtest with, and YOU drive to demonstrate the issue, then when you bring it in for the issue, place a request that only the manager is to drive the car.
Old 4/1/15, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Have you talked to your tuner. I highly doubt the tune would affect it, but I would ask before taking it to ford. Also, if you do take it in make sure you let them know you have a tune just in case they try to flash your ecm to fix the adancetrac.
Old 4/1/15, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
"Hey Joe, this guy's complaining that when he peels out the Advancetrac is kicking in, let's go do some "testing" " ..... yeah, just what I'd want to bring a car like this to the dealership for, lol ...

Robert, sorry you're having these issues ... I'd call the Service Manager and make an appointment with him/her to go on a roadtest with, and YOU drive to demonstrate the issue, then when you bring it in for the issue, place a request that only the manager is to drive the car.
Thanks Gabe. It's not a huge bummer. Sport Mode is allowing me to have a little fun with aggressive driving. I use Unique Ford in Goffstown. The GM there, Joe Martin, is a very square guy. He treats me well everytime I go in. No BS, no hours of haggling when buying, he knows I am a Master Tech and when I come in for service he makes sure they treat my car well and I get a good tech.

I did some research and I am certain the ABS/advancetrac/TC module is defective. For whatever it is not fully disabling as it should.

I'll keep you updated. I'll call and make an appointment in the next few days. I need to get the SHO over there as well. There is a recall for a defective interior door handle. I'll make an appointment for both. I'll drop one off one day and swap them out when the other is done. Now that the weather is turning I just hate being without it for even a day. LOL
Old 4/1/15, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
Have you talked to your tuner. I highly doubt the tune would affect it, but I would ask before taking it to ford. Also, if you do take it in make sure you let them know you have a tune just in case they try to flash your ecm to fix the adancetrac.
That's a great question. This issue actually began while the car was stock. I noticed it would never turn off but the car wasn't as large on power as it is now so it didn't bother me greatly. Now that I have the TVS, I want the car to run wild. LOL

Since the issue existed when stock I doubt it's the tune. I am also just using the stock Roush tune. So the TVS powered coyote is now where near tuned for maximum performance.

I had an email dialogue with the folks at VMP regarding this and they said that even with the advancetrac system turned off the system isn't truly totally disabled. It's disabled enough to have a blast, doing donuts, etc. but it's still there. I asked if you could disable through a tune and they said it's impossible.

I like the folks at VMP. They know TVS Auto Coyote's very well. I am probably going to get one of his tunes once I get the advancetrac issue squared away. My buddy has his tune and it really plants the power down nicely. Great drivability with nice shift points and he gets better ET's with less wheel spin than with other tunes he has had from other shops.

I have heard of no issues with the VMP tunes from anyone.
Old 4/1/15, 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 541 Likes on 422 Posts
You're in Manchester ... close enough to Louden Nh where Performance Dyno is located ... Pete is the man when it comes to Mustang tuning ... he does safe tunes so you won't blow it up when you put your foot in it and it happens to be a bit too cold out.

www.performance-dyno.com ..... feel free to say I recommended him. He's also an electrician ... doing my house, will be at my place tomorrow, was there yesterday ... rewiring pretty much the whole place (house I bought in Hudson, renovating the whole place)
Old 4/1/15, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by choate
I've never really tried it with Advanced Trac off b/c I don't care for burning off my tires but before i got new ones I pushed the button and it said "traction control off" as expected. I did a heck of a burnout and doughnut before I gave up. Never once did anything kick in. I do have a tune thought so I don't know if they changed anything but I doubt it would over ride Fords programming on that. Try traction control off and see what happens
That's the issue. When I shut it off, i get the message that it's off "Advancetrac off" but the system still kicks in. In fact it kicks in so hard that the car falls flat on its face. Almost all power gets pulled for a second or two. When in sport mode It hardly kicks in at all and the car is fun to drive but you can tell the system is holding it back just a bit.

Quick Reply: Traction Control and Advancetrac