Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is the Track App Hackable?

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/12, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Track App Hackable?

The new track app showing G force, 0-60 times, etc is a great feature. I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to rather it is hackable? Could some after market tuner for example add some new functions to it or make other modifications to it? Is it stand alone software running JAVA perhaps or just hardwired and thats it? I sure would love to talk to the developers about how it works...

Joe C
Old 6/13/12, 12:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I would guess it's dedicated because of the need for the sensors and software to have as close to a seamless interaction as possible. It can be more difficult using multi-purpose software to get response and display times reduced (i.e., elimination of lag, maximization of frame rate, etc) to an acceptable level. Dedicated software has less to deal with. To answer your question, any software is "hackable," though I'm not sure how practical or useful it would be with the track apps. Of course, since I don't have my car yet and thus haven't messed with it, I could be completely wrong on all of this.
Old 6/13/12, 06:37 PM
GT Member

I'm pretty sure it's not JAVA (at least I HOPE not!) I would guess straight C with separate micros and code for the DSP and HMI, communicating over something like CAN bus (just guesses here).

But before I think about any of that, what features would I want to add/change and why? That should always be step one before bothering with any reverse engineering or hacking.
Old 6/13/12, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by outtaphase
But before I think about any of that, what features would I want to add/change and why? That should always be step one before bothering with any reverse engineering or hacking.
not to mention knowing all the inputs and how they're used by the existing code. If there isn't a sensor for it, no amount of hacking will produce the info you want.

If I were going to add something to the apps, it would be a much larger data reservoir so I could compare data across larger samples. What would be handy is a phone app that can interface with the car's computer and mine that data for you, categorize it, adjust whatever numbers you're tracking with it, etc. shouldn't be too hard, once the interface was developed...
Old 6/13/12, 09:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
...What would be handy is a phone app that can interface with the car's computer and mine that data for you...
Now we're getting somewhere with the ideas... Android/iPhone app that reads the telemetry while you're shooting vid with it suctioned to the dash...Does the time sync and mates them up. Port it through the USB port for seamless integration. Resulting video has data built into the playback.

We need hacks like this people! Get to work you hacker types!
Old 6/13/12, 09:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by outtaphase

We need hacks like this people! Get to work you hacker types!
nothing wrong with your fingers!! Get busy coding!!