2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tires (235/50/18)

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/16, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires (235/50/18)

Good evening! I am in need of new tires for my 2012 V6, and have been quite disappointed with how quickly the tread wore on the Pirelli P Zero Nero tires that I put onto my car just 27,000 miles ago. I was wondering if you kind folks could steer me in the right direction when it comes to choosing a new set of tires. I live in NJ, and am definitely looking for an all-season tire, but would like something that lasts longer than the Pirelli P Zero Neros. My V6 Mustang is my daily driver, and I am pretty conservative behind the wheel. I was looking at the Firestone Firehawk All Season tires, and would love to see if anyone has had any experiences with these particular tires.

Thanks so much!
The following users liked this post:
David Young (1/8/17)
Old 12/22/16, 04:17 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Your Pirelli factory tires lasted longer than mine. Mine were worn slick at 19,000 miles. I'm running 255/45-18 Copper Zeon RS3-A right now but they are a little too wide for 8 inch wide wheels and I feel a lot of tire roll on hard turns . I feel I'll only be getting around 20,000 miles out of these tires too. The tires you picked are probably good but I'm going to give the BF Goodrich G-Force in the factory size of 235/50-18 the next time I need new tires.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
FlyersFan (12/22/16)
Old 12/22/16, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The Cooper Zeon RS3-A is quite possibly the best tire I've had the pleasure of running. Decent life at 40000 warrantied miles (and I believe I got there too!), good grip in all conditions (except serious cold/snow/ice, as I don't get that in the Houston area, but then, if you do, you need snow tires anyway), great ride, great acoustics.

Only complaint, if there is one, is the sidewalls do give just a little bit in a hard turn.... but if you get beyond that weird shimmy and just keep on, they grab and hold right on through.

If only they came in 275/40-18s... or 285s... alas. So instead I got General Gmax's before... One of them only lasted 24000, the other three weren't far behind. Don't get. Nifty tread, but also loud as heck. Sounded like bearings. Ugh. They were also directional, so had to dismount to swap left-right... and inexplicably, the wandered in the groove. Tread didn't indicate that at all, but they did. Not so good.

I'm currently working Nexen N5000 in my big size. And after 10,000 miles in 9 months, I can say it's very likely I'll hit the 65K miles they're *warrantied* for. And although I was skeptical of this tire for that kind of warranty... it's a good tire. Not as good as the Cooper Zeon, but good, and priced well enough that I will happily buy another set when it's time. The grip is a little less than the Zeon in the wet. That Zeon is amazing in the wet. Excepting that, though, for a big Z rated all season, it has plenty grip in the dry. More on concrete than asphalt, this needs to be said.

I wanted to try the Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ, but then these Nexens showed up and I said... "I gotta try those". That being said, the reviews on the GTZ everywhere *seem* to indicate that they would be a good pairing, decent grip and life, and the price is decent if you shop about. They would have been on Awesome had I not seen the Nexens and took the chance.

As a second choice, the Nexen is a good choice, given the size constraints I have currently, and what's available for price/performance. I will happily buy them again for my daily driven car.

So if you want a good grippy in most conditions decently lived tire, the Cooper in your size in what I'm buying. If you want a good alternative that in some conditions is a little less grippy than the Cooper, but will live a LONG time and are a bit cheaper (last I checked)... the Nexen is one to consider. Perhaps the GTZ, but can't speak of those.

Thems my experiences. I hope they help you get a good tire!

Last edited by houtex; 12/22/16 at 09:16 AM.
FlyersFan (12/22/16)
Old 1/7/17, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Michelin fan here. Tire rack currently having a sale. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 1/8/17, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run the same size tire, squared what would be the best affordable performance summer tire?
Old 1/9/17, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I haven't used the Firehawk tires on my Mustang but I did have them on my Trans Am and was quite pleased with their performance and longevity.

On the Mustang, I replaced the Pirellis with Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2. They have proven to perform even better than the Firehawks - great traction in both dry and wet conditions and even in the below freezing temperatures we get here a couple of times each winter. They now have almost 35,000 miles on them and still look almost new and are much quieter than the Pirellis were when I replaced them at 25,000 miles.
Old 1/9/17, 10:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I put a set on BF Goodrich G-Force on the wife's GT. The tires are great for my area in the South. I also looked at the Conti DWS, and the reviews for those have been really good for an AS tire in the North. The guys on the Corvette Forum swear by the Conti's when buying a non run flat AS for them. There's so many tires out there it makes it hard to decide these days.

BTW, if you have a Pep Boys in your are they have a great deal on the Conti DWS now. Less than 700 bucks installed if you don't need their tire protection plan. Just a bit of info that may help.

Last edited by wanted33; 1/9/17 at 10:12 AM.
Old 1/9/17, 02:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
I put a set on BF Goodrich G-Force on the wife's GT. The tires are great for my area in the South. I also looked at the Conti DWS, and the reviews for those have been really good for an AS tire in the North. The guys on the Corvette Forum swear by the Conti's when buying a non run flat AS for them. There's so many tires out there it makes it hard to decide these days.

BTW, if you have a Pep Boys in your are they have a great deal on the Conti DWS now. Less than 700 bucks installed if you don't need their tire protection plan. Just a bit of info that may help.
Loved my Conti DWS's - lasted about 40k for me. Now have Conti DW's since I have dedicated winters too.
wanted33 (1/9/17)
Old 1/10/17, 05:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
We have the General Altimax on the fiancee's '03 Forester, and they've been great tires for the 2 years or so that they've been on the car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=35VR8AMRT43
Old 1/13/17, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
We have the General Altimax on the fiancee's '03 Forester, and they've been great tires for the 2 years or so that they've been on the car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=35VR8AMRT43
I put these on our 3rd car around Christmas and so far I really like them. And I really liked them for their price.