2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

TIRE REPLACEMENT brembo package

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/11 | 01:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eric n
The Hankook Ventus V12 look like a good tire. What is tread life like??? Does anyone know if I could expect to get 15k semi aggressive miles out of them???

The Continental ExtremeContact DWS have a 50k mile warranty, which sounds amazing, but what are the performance trade offs???

The Michelin Pilot Sport a/s Plus also is highly rated with a 45k mile warranty?

Now like everyone else, more hp, more handling, more brakes sound like the way it is intended to be. However a 600 # bench press sounds better than a 500# bench, but then again, that's how I jacked my right shoulder.

I fully intended to to add some hp increasing mods, then I realized, I pretty much don't use all that I have. So how much traction is enough. I hardly ever get a chance to really romp on this car anywhere near it's potential. And in honesty, it's potential far exceeds my own as a driver.

So how much is enough and for what $$$ amount? We shall see! Input???
I would stick to a summer tire if you want to maintain good dry performance. The only real benefit of an A/S tire is that they will grip more than a summer tire in cold weather, but they're still marginal in snow and ice. "An all-season tire is a no-season tire" is the way I look at it.

With the V12s you should probably get at least double the life of the Pirellis. I got 18k out of my RE050As on my Z and would probably have been able to get 25-30k out of the V12s with the same driving style (semi-aggressive).

With a budget and tread-life concerns in mind I think the V12s in 275/35 would be an excellent choice.
Old 1/25/11 | 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Continental ExtremeContact DWS have a 50k mile warranty, which sounds amazing, but what are the performance trade offs???
The continental ExtremeContact DWS is an all-season tire, that's the tradeoff. Less dry grip for more treadlife and the ability to use it in the winter. The Continental ExtremeContact DW is the summer-only performance tire.
Old 1/25/11 | 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
275/40/19 all around?

Why are you guys changing your tires so fast? I have about 6k miles on mine and they look great so far. I haven't rotated them or anything either.
Yes all around.

I don't know about anyone else but my pirelli's were ****, i had one fail on me twice and then i replaced it and the one of the others couldn't hold air, patched it and then another one was giving a tire pressure sensor so i just said **** it these are not daily driver tires.
Old 1/25/11 | 04:30 PM
Cobra Member

I'd do the 275/35-19 all around as well. I did 255/35-20s with General Exclaim UHPs, long lasting tire (if you don't burn them up at the track as I did) but not that great of grip. Quiet and good in the rain, though. Not on the same level as the others mentioned here.

Switched to 275/35-20s with a Dunlop that made a world of difference, can barely break these loose. So wider IS better, no doubt.

I'd recommend the Hankook V12s as well, good pricing, decent quality, know several people who have road tracked them with good success, and decent wear overall as well. If you don't like them or burn through them quickly you can get something pricier next time.
Old 1/25/11 | 05:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

about 9k, but they are looking a little used up.
Is the normal life on those tires only 9K?! That's a bit much when the tires cost $400 each.

I talked to some guys at track day events who said that Toyo Proxes RA1 competition tires could possibly last 10K miles on the street... (not that anyone would waste them on the street - but many folks do drive on them to get to the track).
Old 1/25/11 | 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since you live in Bakersfield CA, there's no reason to even consider an all-season tire. Summer tires cannot even be used in freezing weather, let alone snow, and since some people can't afford two sets of tires, or don't have the storage space, or don't want the hassle of having to switch them out twice per year, they go for all-season tires instead.

So definitely get summer tires, and if you want a tire that's a bit cheaper but will last longer, get something like the Continental Extreme Contact DW (max performance summer) with a high treadwear rating like 340. They won't be quite as grippy as the stock Pirellis, but they'll last a lot longer and they'll blow away all-season tires.

Unless you're going to the track with your car, any max performance summer tires are going to be fine. In fact, max performance summer tires would even be fine at the track.

Last edited by wjones14; 1/25/11 at 06:12 PM.
Old 1/25/11 | 07:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
275/40/19 all around?

Why are you guys changing your tires so fast? I have about 6k miles on mine and they look great so far. I haven't rotated them or anything either.
16,000 miles on mine and two of mine are almost bald and the other two are well on their way. Mine is a daily driver, mostly highway and I am by no means an aggressive driver. No track time either. The tread life just flat out sucks on these.

These Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires get consistent tread life of 45,000 miles. They also perform very well in dry and wet conditions. This is what I will be getting in the next month. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....PSAS&tab=Sizes
Old 1/26/11 | 02:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Great Thread! I'll be looking back here to see what my options are too. I still have plenty of thread left and i'm almost at 9k.
Old 1/26/11 | 05:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
The continental ExtremeContact DWS is an all-season tire, that's the tradeoff. Less dry grip for more treadlife and the ability to use it in the winter. The Continental ExtremeContact DW is the summer-only performance tire.
Had both on previous cars and drove the $hit out of them. Great grip, ride, handling and tread life. This will be my choice when the time comes although I won't do DWS as I have snows on different rims. DWS are gret for small amounts of snow now and then but not when you have a few months of the crap.
Old 1/26/11 | 06:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by raidernixon
16,000 miles on mine and two of mine are almost bald and the other two are well on their way. Mine is a daily driver, mostly highway and I am by no means an aggressive driver. No track time either. The tread life just flat out sucks on these.

These Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires get consistent tread life of 45,000 miles. They also perform very well in dry and wet conditions. This is what I will be getting in the next month. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....PSAS&tab=Sizes
I am surprised at the low mileage some are getting. My stock Pirellis went 40K miles before I changed them, and they were still "barely" legal. SInce My car gets driven all year, all-season replacements were a must and I got another set of Pirellis as new take-offs for a real bargain, so I'm very satisfied.
Old 1/26/11 | 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Beargap
I am surprised at the low mileage some are getting. My stock Pirellis went 40K miles before I changed them, and they were still "barely" legal. SInce My car gets driven all year, all-season replacements were a must and I got another set of Pirellis as new take-offs for a real bargain, so I'm very satisfied.
Which Pirellis did your car come with? I know all the Brembo package cars come with the PZero summers which tend to wear out very quickly. I don't think it's possible for the Brembo OEM tires to even go 40,000 miles under normal conditions. You could probably stretch 20k out of them at most.
Old 1/26/11 | 08:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Had the Hankook V12s on my Shelby and loved them. Can't beat it for the money.
Old 1/26/11 | 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Roush uses these:

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/wheels/rh401658.html
Old 1/26/11 | 09:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jager
Won't fit the brembo 19's.
Old 1/26/11 | 02:28 PM
GT Member

I got a set of Hankook Ventus V12 EVOs on my 10 and so far they're great for the money and manage to hook up pretty well with my supercharger, can't speak for there longevity though as I barely have a 1000 miles on them and barely drive 3000 miles in a year.
Old 1/26/11 | 02:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Beargap
If the stock Pirellis you're talking about were the P-Zero Nero all-season tires on your '08 Mustang, there is no comparison between those inexpensive all-season tires and the P-Zero high performance summer-only tires that come on the Brembo package cars. About the only thing those two tires have in common is the word "Pirelli" on them.
Old 1/26/11 | 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

This thread is the reason I dont want the Brembo package. I could probably eek out 15K miles with my driving style but thats pathetic really. I cant stomach the cost of these tires and just cant justify them. No offense to you guys that have the brembo package but its not worth it to me. If you wanna play you gotta pay.

I thought about this long ago and knew this day would be coming soon at the mustang source. I hope you can all find a viable alternative that is affordable.
Old 1/26/11 | 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

The Falkien FK452's sized for the brembo 19's (255/40/19) are less than 200 bucks each from discount tire direct. Z rated w/300 tread durability rating and AA traction rating.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=255
Old 1/26/11 | 06:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by chevys
This thread is the reason I dont want the Brembo package. I could probably eek out 15K miles with my driving style but thats pathetic really. I cant stomach the cost of these tires and just cant justify them. No offense to you guys that have the brembo package but its not worth it to me. If you wanna play you gotta pay.
Try going through a set or two of DOT legal race rubber in one summer, at $1000-1200 per set. Now THAT'S eating up tires...
Old 1/26/11 | 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Which Pirellis did your car come with? I know all the Brembo package cars come with the PZero summers which tend to wear out very quickly. I don't think it's possible for the Brembo OEM tires to even go 40,000 miles under normal conditions. You could probably stretch 20k out of them at most.
not allll brembo package cars come with pzeros!

my vert with brembos has goodyear eagle F1's..i can't comment on the wear yet, since they've seen about 30 minutes of the road...will chip in when summer comes around and give a review

Quick Reply: TIRE REPLACEMENT brembo package