2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tire chunking - thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/14, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Some good info getting put out there in this thread. KCO, you’re on it. I would also add that you guys should be filling your tires with nitrogen and also be using a heat gun across the tread face to determine overall tire temp and where the temp is the greatest (Inside, center, outside). That will help you decide if you’re alignment (Camber) is correct and if you’re in the ballpark with the tire pressures. Adjust accordingly to what it’s telling you. If you’re lucky enough to have a good tire tech at the track when you’re there, pick his brain on the tire brand to find out its optimal temps and pressures…and if he’s familiar with the car type, he might even offer advice for front end settings.

Yes going fast cost $$$!

John
Old 5/28/14, 05:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
Some good info getting put out there in this thread. KCO, you’re on it. I would also add that you guys should be filling your tires with nitrogen and also be using a heat gun across the tread face to determine overall tire temp and where the temp is the greatest (Inside, center, outside). That will help you decide if you’re alignment (Camber) is correct and if you’re in the ballpark with the tire pressures. Adjust accordingly to what it’s telling you. If you’re lucky enough to have a good tire tech at the track when you’re there, pick his brain on the tire brand to find out its optimal temps and pressures…and if he’s familiar with the car type, he might even offer advice for front end settings.

Yes going fast cost $$$!

John
Good input, I have a friend who is actually developing a tire temp device, in the meantime i agree on getting a temp sensor of some sort to grab tire temps across the tread post lapping session. It's one thing I have yet to collect data on and I am getting to a level where I need to. Any recommendations for a good tool?
Old 5/28/14, 05:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
My current tires are 888's front and back, and when they are treadless I'll use them on track days until they're worn out. If you can find some used slicks that are in good shape, it will keep your regular tires from being chewed up so much. Of course, you then have to find a set of wheels to use the slicks with...
I have a set of wheels dedicated to track use. My brembo wheels are for street driving only.
Old 5/28/14, 05:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by evobeaner
Maxxis also has the RC1 Victra that some say last longer than an NT01 while being as fast.
Hankook RS3's are almost as fast also but in a street tire.
May check out the maxxis, I have not read anything on them

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Indeed you are correct. I share the same opinion. I hope to make it to the Nurburgring this year at least one time. Next year I'm shooting for at least 20 laps.
Nice! Hope you make it out some and get some video footage!!
Old 5/28/14, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
I have a set of wheels dedicated to track use. My brembo wheels are for street driving only.
I finally do as well . Just came in the mail today. SVE Drift wheels in 19x9.5 from LMR. Here is a few photos. I'm still split on which tires to put on them, but I'm open to 275/40-19 and 285/35-19. I got a good hint out of this thread about stickier compound tires being able to withstand higher temps. So my choices are Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position, or Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. Technically the RE-11s should handle higher temps, but they are ~$70 per tire more expensive....
Attached Thumbnails Tire chunking - thoughts-20140528_171135.jpg   Tire chunking - thoughts-20140528_171314.jpg  

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 5/28/14 at 09:09 PM.
Old 5/28/14, 10:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I finally do as well . Just came in the mail today. SVE Drift wheels in 19x9.5 from LMR. Here is a few photos. I'm still split on which tires to put on them, but I'm open to 275/40-19 and 285/35-19. I got a good hint out of this thread about stickier compound tires being able to withstand higher temps. So my choices are Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position, or Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. Technically the RE-11s should handle higher temps, but they are ~$70 per tire more expensive....
Those are really nice looking wheels!
Old 5/29/14, 12:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
The new Dark Stainless? So effin sexy!
Old 5/29/14, 06:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by laserred38
The new Dark Stainless? So effin sexy!
Thanks guys! Yes, the news dark stainless. I was going to go with the flat black, but noticed these the day I decided to order. I think this color will look a lot better on my Sterling Gray.
Old 5/29/14, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Good input, I have a friend who is actually developing a tire temp device, in the meantime i agree on getting a temp sensor of some sort to grab tire temps across the tread post lapping session. It's one thing I have yet to collect data on and I am getting to a level where I need to. Any recommendations for a good tool?
Fluke 62 Mini works very well. If you have one of the better Fluke handheld multi meters a more cost effective option would be to buy an RTD or thermocouple attachment for it and probe the tire directly. I would shy away from digital meat thermometers and junk like that if you want good data.

John
Old 5/29/14, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant wait to see some pictures of the wheels on the car!
Old 5/29/14, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jarrod@latemodelresto
Cant wait to see some pictures of the wheels on the car!
Thanks Jarrod! Order came in super fast, the quality of the wheels is good on initial inspection, and I'm very happy with the ordering experience. I even love the T-shirt that came with my order

Now I just have to make up my mind on the tires, and once I do I'll upload a few photos of these wheels on my car to your site. I think these are going to look fantastic! Thanks again.

Sorry for hijacking the thread for a bit. Now back to the original topic.

I'm undecided and split between 4 tires. Which would you chose/recommend?

1) Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position
2) BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2
3) Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
4) Hankook Ventus V12 Evo

BACKGROUND: The main purpose of the tire is weekend track duty but NOT racing. Basically same as OP. I do plan on driving these daily for 1 week before and 1 week after each track weekend. I want to avoid R compounds due to budgetary restrictions (and the fact R compounds wear quick, and hide driver mistakes very well). So I'm looking for a decent max/ultra high performance street tire which will do pretty well on the track as compared to stock Pirellis. But I'm not timing my laps and I don't plan on breaking any speed records. And of course I want to minimize the risk of chunking.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 5/29/14 at 09:20 AM.
Old 5/29/14, 09:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

But I'm not timing my laps and I don't plan on breaking any speed records.
Riiiight.... not timing laps lasts about 1 session (at least for me), and then competitive nature comes out and you just HAVE to know if you're getting faster. Highly recommend Harry's Lap Timer Pro along with the GoPoint OBDII piece!

Back on subject - you'll probably be happy with any of the 4 tires you suggested. They'll all be grippy and should hold up well. There may be some minor handling nuances with each, but you'll never have an apples to apples comparison of all 4 to see what you like best cause, well, who wants to buy 4 sets of tires to try out! If I were you, I'd select whichever best fits the budget and has a solid review both on Tirerack and through a few forums.

Sure you don't want R-compounds? They will get better lap times
Old 5/29/14, 09:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Horspla
Fluke 62 Mini works very well. If you have one of the better Fluke handheld multi meters a more cost effective option would be to buy an RTD or thermocouple attachment for it and probe the tire directly. I would shy away from digital meat thermometers and junk like that if you want good data.

John
Excellent, thanks for the quick feedback, I'll take a look at the Fluke options
Old 5/29/14, 09:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Plim
Those are really nice looking wheels!
Have to comment to agree - wheels look awesome. Might look even better on Grabber Blue Mustang
Old 5/29/14, 10:49 AM
Banned

Riiiight.... not timing laps lasts about 1 session (at least for me), and then competitive nature comes out and you just HAVE to know if you're getting faster. Highly recommend Harry's Lap Timer Pro along with the GoPoint OBDII piece!

Back on subject - you'll probably be happy with any of the 4 tires you suggested. They'll all be grippy and should hold up well. There may be some minor handling nuances with each, but you'll never have an apples to apples comparison of all 4 to see what you like best cause, well, who wants to buy 4 sets of tires to try out! If I were you, I'd select whichever best fits the budget and has a solid review both on Tirerack and through a few forums.

Sure you don't want R-compounds? They will get better lap times
I see what you did there

I've resisted the temptation to measure my times so far. I've done timed competitive driving for certifications for work, and I know what you mean about the competitive nature taking over. The force has been strong with me in that regard so far in my own car.

P.S. Have you tried using the built in lap times in our cars yet? It would be accurate to ~0.5s to get a base and improvement measurement. I may try doing that instead of shelling out the cash on lap timer. This hobby can be an endless money pit, and I want to restraint myself.

Thanks for the feedback on the tires. I may be splitting hairs here...
Old 5/29/14, 11:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Highly recommend Harry's Lap Timer Pro along with the GoPoint OBDII piece!
I've now been checking GoPoint's website every day for 2 months and the BT1 still isn't available.
Old 5/29/14, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
I've now been checking GoPoint's website every day for 2 months and the BT1 still isn't available.
wow - that's crazy... glad I got one when I did!!

Nothing on Amazon or ebay either?
Old 5/29/14, 12:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

wow - that's crazy... glad I got one when I did!!

Nothing on Amazon or ebay either?
Nope, nothing. I'm supposed to get an e-mail when they're available but I don't trust it...call me crazy.
Old 6/18/14, 07:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

2 1/2 months now, still nothing and they won't answer my messages about an ETA. What a joke of a company. Looking at the Scantool OBDII reader, which is supposed to integrate with Harry's Lap Timer, but initial availability looks like some time in August.
Old 6/18/14, 10:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
2 1/2 months now, still nothing and they won't answer my messages about an ETA. What a joke of a company. Looking at the Scantool OBDII reader, which is supposed to integrate with Harry's Lap Timer, but initial availability looks like some time in August.
Wow that's very disappointing. Lucky I got mine I guess. Hope mine never breaks!!! Harry is pretty good with updating his program at least and their forum is pretty active so maybe post over there about the gopoint issues.

Off to Thompson tomorrow, hope the tires do well

Quick Reply: Tire chunking - thoughts