Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tinted taillights

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/12, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tinted taillights

I ordered the smoke tint film from American Muscle without even considering it may not be legal in Texas (partly because there's nothing on the website that mentions it). Before I put it on I stopped at one inspection station that stated emphatically that ANY tint on the tails is illegal. THey won't inspect them, and DPS will write it. When I was leaving one of the customers in there came out and told me where I could go get it inspected (we all know those places!).

I can understand why black-out would be bad, but smoked seems like it would still show plenty of light. And it would look awesome on a white or black or lave red. PLUS, it looks like the factory 3rd brake light is already smoked... definitely a different color than the tails. (I took it off to make sure the previous owner didn't tint it already).

Can anybody speak with authority here? And what about smoking the side and quarter panel lights (those will be here in a couple days!). Because if it's specifically forbidden, I won't do it because it's not worth the hassle. I work on an Air Force base and at the very least, I KNOW the popo there would give me grief about it. They like to practice on their 'captive audience'.

AM seems willing to process the return, so no worries there. I'm just bummed because it would look sooooo good.
Old 7/13/12, 10:53 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Easy. Just put your stocks back on, get it inspected, swap it back. Done.
Old 7/13/12, 11:11 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I had mine spray tinted for a year then bought raxiom pre tinted. I never had a problem. I'm in northeast Texas idk if that makes a big difference.
Old 7/13/12, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Easy. Just put your stocks back on, get it inspected, swap it back. Done.
Mmmm... with the tint film it's not quite that easy.

If I can get if off without destroying the lens if I need to, I may do it anyway and take my chances.
Old 7/13/12, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my 07 GT in with the same tint from Amercian Muscle, and one guy tried to fail me for it. I looked at him and said "oh shut up, you're just saying that cause your a GM fanboy, you know **** well you can see the lights with the tint on" He then passed me. No lie. Of course, this was on base, so I might not have gotten the same result at a normal inspection place.
Old 7/13/12, 06:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Speaking with some authority, Im sure if you research it, tinting them will technically be "illegal". Or out of the guidelines so to speak. And yes Im sure you could get stopped and/or summonsed for it. Usually the way the laws work is that 'X' amount of light has to be visible from 'X' number of feet. However, as long as your not totally blacking them out I think you should be ok. There will be, very shortly, people chiming in telling you that you will lose your house/wife/kids from tinting your taillights if someone hits you and gets seriously hurt....but hey, we can get sued for anything and any amount these days.

....and grammar errors fixed lol darn iphone auto "correct"

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 7/14/12 at 04:38 PM.
Old 7/13/12, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tinted tail lights are fugly
Old 7/13/12, 07:00 PM
GTR Member

That's cute. ^^
Old 7/13/12, 09:24 PM
Cobra Member

I was stopped for having blacked out lights....I was told that it has to be visible from 300ft back. I'm in central Texas, and they are strict, but not crazy. I was written a warning, do no problem. Just 5 minutes of my day wasted.

As far as side markers, I think that's more for people to see your car at night from the side when it's parked.....mine are blacked out.

As far as the tails, and other possible solutions, I am going to start selling some tail light overlays for the 10-12 stangs. They are designed to look similar to the '13s.
And they will be the same price as the tint from AM.
(this pic isn't the final product, just the 'try out' pics) there will be much cleaner lines, and no light bleeding through.
Attached Thumbnails Tinted taillights-image-2105252124.jpg  
Old 7/13/12, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by wannabe
I ordered the smoke tint film from American Muscle without even considering it may not be legal in Texas (partly because there's nothing on the website that mentions it). Before I put it on I stopped at one inspection station that stated emphatically that ANY tint on the tails is illegal. THey won't inspect them, and DPS will write it. When I was leaving one of the customers in there came out and told me where I could go get it inspected (we all know those places!).

I can understand why black-out would be bad, but smoked seems like it would still show plenty of light. And it would look awesome on a white or black or lave red. PLUS, it looks like the factory 3rd brake light is already smoked... definitely a different color than the tails. (I took it off to make sure the previous owner didn't tint it already).

Can anybody speak with authority here? And what about smoking the side and quarter panel lights (those will be here in a couple days!). Because if it's specifically forbidden, I won't do it because it's not worth the hassle. I work on an Air Force base and at the very least, I KNOW the popo there would give me grief about it. They like to practice on their 'captive audience'.

AM seems willing to process the return, so no worries there. I'm just bummed because it would look sooooo good.
I live in Texas both my cars have blacked out tails never had any problems with the police..
Old 7/13/12, 10:01 PM

Name:  ForumRunner_20120713_230111.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  21.8 KB

Here they are..
Old 7/13/12, 10:03 PM
GTR Member

Those taillights on that caddy are massive
Old 7/14/12, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by youngstang90
As far as the tails, and other possible solutions, I am going to start selling some tail light overlays for the 10-12 stangs. They are designed to look similar to the '13s.
And they will be the same price as the tint from AM.
(this pic isn't the final product, just the 'try out' pics) there will be much cleaner lines, and no light bleeding through.
I could be interested in that, as it's certainly a lot less expensive than buying new taillights.
Old 7/14/12, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

It is illegal for one or two reasons. The main one is that a vehicle in texas is required to have to rear red reflectors mounted and the tint covers those...

http://law.onecle.com/texas/transpor...47.325.00.html

Or is could be that the tint is so dark it does not meet the visibilty requirements of light emmison by the tail lights (1000 Ft).
Old 7/14/12, 09:41 AM
GTR Member

Depending on how dark you do the tint. If your conservative with the tint then you can still see the reflective spots.
Old 7/16/12, 08:44 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wannabe

wannabe,

This is a very common debate. In my opinion the tinted film looks amazing! In the scheme of things, Tint on your windows & lights are illegal. However millions of places offer both of these items & cops really don't bother you.

We are located in Malvern, PA & the cops/inspection places really don't bother anyone around here. It seems that a lot of people on here from texas haven't had any problems either.

If for some reason you do decide not to go with the film anymore, we can defiantly hook you up with a return, as long as the product has not been installed!

I hope this helps, let me know what you decide!

- Dan
Old 7/16/12, 08:49 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 02 had tinted lights and i never caught any trouble. Now i have a 12 and the lights are definitely bright enough to where a lil tint wouldnt do any harm. I live down in Corpus Christi texas btw and know a few places to get inspected as well

Last edited by CCTking; 7/16/12 at 09:03 AM.
Old 7/16/12, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

In VA the law just says that the Tailights must be Red and visable from 500ft in clear weather.
Old 7/21/12, 01:27 PM

You may not get a ticket -- but if someone rear ends you, then you may be liable (regardless of fault). Unfortunately, this is a very common accident in my part of the country (three of my six cars have been rear ended in the last 10 years -- two were by folks on cell phones).
Old 7/21/12, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm pretty sure I'm going to send the tail tint back... mostly due to the legality issue, but also because I put the side marker/quarter tint on yesterday and based on that, I know I won't be happy with the tails (not covering the whole lens). But I've got some painted bezels coming next week that would probably cover up that problem... so I'm going to wait and decide for sure then.

Quick Reply: Tinted taillights