2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Tight Supply of Mustangs now?

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/12, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what I don't understand. I know Ford is the only big 3 car company that didn't take the government bail out and they are doing OK business wise. But can they just throw away Mustang sales just like that because they are not building enough of them? I assume they make the same amount of money on a Mustang as they do on an Edge or Focus or whatever. And if Mustangs are selling better than a Focus why not ramp up the line and make more? Why is the allocation so low on their flagship performance car which is also a legend in the car industry itself? THis whole allocation scheme seems like a result of mis-forecasting and management and lack of industral awareness of the car market. Then again, I may me all wrong. I am an engineer, not a business person. 8-)

Joe C
Old 7/6/12, 09:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by fasrnu
For future reference, orders are scheduled based the following criteria:
-the priority code rating
-the dealer's allocation for each production week
-the ordered option content
-the receipt date
The receipt date is a factor when breaking ties for orders with the same priority code. I hope this explains it a little for you guys.

Deysha
It sounds like the priority code on mine "19" might be an issue. Can the dealer change the priority code on an existing order and not loose the original order date?
Just to clarify: My understanding is that the priority code doesn't mean anything except within that particular dealer's orders. And they can change the priority although regarding customer ordered cars, I would think its rare to move one in front of another since they would just be making some other customer angry. I'm guessing that most dealers would lower the priority of inventory orders to lower than yours but there doesn't seem to be much room for that. Your 19 doesn't effect when yours get built compared to other dealers. If two dealers have x allocations and just x orders a 19 priority from one dealer could be built before a 10 for the other.

It sounds like with a 19 you will stay at the back of the line until other orders from your dealer are built, including orders placed after yours but with a better priority. Then again if the dealer makes all orders 19 the priority won't mean a thing.
Old 7/6/12, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Just to clarify: My understanding is that the priority code doesn't mean anything except within that particular dealer's orders. And they can change the priority although regarding customer ordered cars, I would think its rare to move one in front of another since they would just be making some other customer angry. I'm guessing that most dealers would lower the priority of inventory orders to lower than yours but there doesn't seem to be much room for that. Your 19 doesn't effect when yours get built compared to other dealers. If two dealers have x allocations and just x orders a 19 priority from one dealer could be built before a 10 for the other.

It sounds like with a 19 you will stay at the back of the line until other orders from your dealer are built, including orders placed after yours but with a better priority. Then again if the dealer makes all orders 19 the priority won't mean a thing.
Thanks.

Your response was specific enough to clear up my concerns.

Probably won't mean anything. The dealer had about 12 Mustangs on the lot and wasn't too thrilled about ordering one. I was adamant about only accepting exactly what I wanted, and the only way they could comply was to order. The salesman stated they seldom had customer orders.

Here's to a sooner rather than later VIN, build and delivery date!
Old 7/6/12, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask Deysha she will tell u exact eta and vin if it's out
Old 7/6/12, 02:30 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
Deysha,
on the dealer allocation for each production week...this confuses me a little...my dealer says they have allocation for a mustang, how do these 2 things mesh?...is there something i can ask my dealer to make sure this is correct?
originally my dealer gave me 6-8 weeks...which i am right at 5 now and i am getting concerned that this order will take forever to get pulled
They do have allocation, but you should ask them “for when”?

Originally Posted by fasrnu
It sounds like the priority code on mine "19" might be an issue. Can the dealer change the priority code on an existing order and not loose the original order date?
It doesn’t hurt to ask them if it's possible to change it.

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
Ask Deysha she will tell u exact eta and vin if it's out
Thanks, HizliBullet! I got him.

By the way, guys… Retail orders are yours…

Deysha
Old 7/6/12, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey guys, the OP ordered it from me, and these cars are for some reason tight night now, in the region. Don't ask me why, but they are. I've done everything I can (as has my fleet manager) in regards to emailing our rep to get it built sooner. I only wish I could snap my fingers and get it here quicker. But I can't Joe, I will get you your car, even if I have to build it myself!!
Jeff, if you have to build it yourself, I would like it to look like this...but in RED....

Joe C
Attached Images  
Old 7/7/12, 05:22 AM

Ordered my GT Premium on 6/16, and was told by Deysha on Friday my Vin and ETA was 8/03 Mine was assigned a 18
Old 7/7/12, 06:06 AM
V6 Member

Ordered mine 5/19, she arrives today and I'll be picking her up on Monday. 7 weeks, falls within the 6 to 8 week norm.

Last edited by Blad3101; 7/7/12 at 06:32 AM.
Old 7/7/12, 06:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, you certainly ordered it through a salesman with the best reputationm on this forum........if Jeff (05fordGT) can't get it to you any quicker, NO ONE can

That being said, I'd imagine the wait is tortuous, so I hope you get your car soon

Last edited by Twin Turbo; 7/9/12 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Got my Joes and Jeffs mixed up LOL!
Old 7/7/12, 11:32 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
The dealer i bought my 11 from has 22 2013 Mustangs on the lot, G.T's, V-6's, Verts and a BOSS
Old 7/7/12, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by David Young
The dealer i bought my 11 from has 22 2013 Mustangs on the lot, G.T's, V-6's, Verts and a BOSS
You are lucky. My local Ford dealer has 2 2013s and both are V6s and he says he can't get V8s.

Joe C.
Old 7/7/12, 01:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my dealer has zero mustangs at all

they are more of a truck oriented dealership...loaded with new F Series

Last edited by CHDS PNY; 7/7/12 at 01:45 PM.
Old 7/7/12, 02:54 PM

I ordered on 5/30, with 10 priority, no vin as 6/27, so changed order from V6 Prem to GT Prem as it wouldn't change my sequence. No vin as of 7/6. It is what it is!
Old 7/7/12, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
my dealer has zero mustangs at all

they are more of a truck oriented dealership...loaded with new F Series
thats why you are waiting longer, the dealerships that move more stangs have more allocations and get pulled first as far as I can tell....I got lucky with my shelby, 3 month wait from order to delivery (ordered before they began building them) my dealerships moves alot of everything!
I did not realize even the V6 and GT orders went through the same waiting game as the specialty vehicles...good luck to all and hang in there
Old 7/8/12, 08:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
You are lucky. My local Ford dealer has 2 2013s and both are V6s and he says he can't get V8s.

Joe C.
I'm in the Toronto area. Never found a current MY V6 manual coupe on a lot, last 3 MYs. Almost all V6s are convertible with auto. They always seem to have to bring a V6 in if you want a test drive, so I haven't bothered just yet. Local dealers seem loaded up with V8s and not the cheap ones... Anyway, I'll be ordering shortly (after the test drive) and expect to get delivery before the winter, that's good enough for me.
Old 7/8/12, 06:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jocatch
THis whole allocation scheme seems like a result of mis-forecasting and management and lack of industral awareness of the car market. Then again, I may me all wrong. I am an engineer, not a business person. 8-)

Joe C
I think it's just complex logic trying to balance out the many variables that affect production numbers. It stinks when you are waiting.

I can't imagine trying to forecast in the current environment, which seems to whipsaw back and forth between "sort of recovering market" to "gas prices too high" to "gas prices back down" to "commodity costs killing us" to "buyers can get credit at cheap rates" to "unemployment rates down" to "sold all these Mustangs last quarter but having trouble now", etc. etc.

I think the allocation procedure has been described on here in a fair amount of detail. My opinion is that dealer vs retail orders are still too skewed toward the dealer.

Jeff, any comments?
Old 7/9/12, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cfraser
I'm in the Toronto area. Never found a current MY V6 manual coupe on a lot, last 3 MYs. Almost all V6s are convertible with auto. They always seem to have to bring a V6 in if you want a test drive, so I haven't bothered just yet. Local dealers seem loaded up with V8s and not the cheap ones... Anyway, I'll be ordering shortly (after the test drive) and expect to get delivery before the winter, that's good enough for me.
Craig , call Margaret at east court ford, tell her I sent you, Rick with the white 2013 convertible vert gt.... aside from best possible price, she will be able to locate what you want. Call her at least, see what she has on the lot to test drive in the v6 ...let me know how it works out. Good luck !
Old 7/9/12, 08:26 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mackman107
Ordered my GT Premium on 6/16, and was told by Deysha on Friday my Vin and ETA was 8/03 Mine was assigned a 18
I can’t wait for it to ship out and arrive!

Originally Posted by Blad3101
Ordered mine 5/19, she arrives today and I'll be picking her up on Monday. 7 weeks, falls within the 6 to 8 week norm.
Woo hoo!! Congrats!

Originally Posted by fmiq
I ordered on 5/30, with 10 priority, no vin as 6/27, so changed order from V6 Prem to GT Prem as it wouldn't change my sequence. No vin as of 7/6. It is what it is!
We’ll see what happens this week, fmiq.

Originally Posted by cfraser
I'll be ordering shortly (after the test drive) and expect to get delivery before the winter, that's good enough for me.
Let me know when you place your order so I can track it.

Deysha
Old 7/9/12, 11:21 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Each of us dealers knows our weekly/monthly allocations for Mustangs. Salesmen typically don't, but they can ask whomever does the ordering & wholesale meetings with Ford for the dealership. Ford tries to do historical analysis in guessing how many to allocate to each dealer, but those wholesale meetings each month are the dealers' opportunities to tell their Ford rep if they need extra allocation, and Ford's opportunity to say yes or no to extra allocations for that dealer that month. The Ford Rep only has so many of each model to go around their entire region, so they can't give extras to every dealer, but some dealers may not want all of their allocations for that month, freeing up cars for dealers who want extra. Complicated? Sure is! You try balancing the needs of 3700+ dealers in an equitable fashion, though, while balancing supplier constraints at the factories.
Old 7/9/12, 12:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Each of us dealers knows our weekly/monthly allocations for Mustangs. Salesmen typically don't, but they can ask whomever does the ordering & wholesale meetings with Ford for the dealership. Ford tries to do historical analysis in guessing how many to allocate to each dealer, but those wholesale meetings each month are the dealers' opportunities to tell their Ford rep if they need extra allocation, and Ford's opportunity to say yes or no to extra allocations for that dealer that month. The Ford Rep only has so many of each model to go around their entire region, so they can't give extras to every dealer, but some dealers may not want all of their allocations for that month, freeing up cars for dealers who want extra. Complicated? Sure is! You try balancing the needs of 3700+ dealers in an equitable fashion, though, while balancing supplier constraints at the factories.
+1 to what Brian said. Its tough, it really is. I (and my fleet manager) have send emails and begged our rep to get JoeCatch's car scheduled!! It stinks that it sometimes takes time like this, but its nothing I can do other than wait. I only wish Ford would go to full Retail Order Verification, like they did back in 2010 for the 2011s. Even if you didn't have allocation, as long as you sent over the correct info via email, with a signed buyers order, your car was scheduled!! Joe, I'm hoping this week is the week!! I'm praying!!!

Quick Reply: Tight Supply of Mustangs now?