Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thoughts on the 2014 MT82

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/13, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on the 2014 MT82

I've managed to rack up 300 miles on the new GT and I'm still learning the nuances of this machine. Bear in mind this thing probably isn't even near broken in yet, so take this with a grain of salt.

The transmission requires a huge amount of finesse to manage mid - high RPM shifting. It feels as though the shift gate is moving about and I have to chase it around a bit.

Also, 80% of the time there's a clunk near the engine bay when shifting from 1st - 2nd. When I press the clutch shifting from 1st, I hear 3 metallic taps; it sounds like the pressure plate is bouncing against the flywheel.

I'm not going to make a service issue of any of this unless it persists beyond the first oil change. I'm going to assume that the shifting issue is due to the infamous shift bracket/bushing, so I ordered the Steeda replacement and hope to have that installed over the next 2 weeks.

These two issues have takes some of the enjoyment away from my experience, but the rest of the car has been great. Still, the enjoyment of rowing through the gears and that level of connectivity with the motor and transmission is the reason why I went manual. I really hope these two issues resolve themselves soon.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 2/26/13 at 10:26 PM.
Old 2/26/13, 10:28 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
dude - take it in and have ford look at it, don't wait until the first oil change. I have a 13 and I have no issues with the transmission like what you're saying.

I'll change the tranny fluid and upgrade to an MGW shortly, but as I am now, I have NO issues compared to you. Get it looked at....
Old 2/26/13, 10:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifter bracket should make a big difference
Old 2/27/13, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Why did Ford keep this transmission?! It's been a nuisance for 3 years now. How many MT82 threads does it take Ford? You messed up; own up to it and put a quality manual in these cars. Quit duct taping an inherently flawed product!

Good luck with your MT82 dilemma man. You're in the company of many.
Old 2/27/13, 09:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
Why did Ford keep this transmission?! It's been a nuisance for 3 years now. How many MT82 threads does it take Ford? You messed up; own up to it and put a quality manual in these cars. Quit duct taping an inherently flawed product!

Good luck with your MT82 dilemma man. You're in the company of many.
To be more correct I think, it's the shifter, not the transmission. I'm ready to switch to the MGW like so many others but it'll be a while before I talk my wife into that one
Old 2/27/13, 09:50 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This all reminds me of the days of my 2002 and the tremec 3650 Ive never owned a worse transmission in my life. And is infact the entire reason why I went with an automatic this time, never regret that decision for 1 sec.

Matter of fact here we go, any of this seem familiar http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...thread.328655/

After reading that on stangnet, I took mine in for a Tsb they released. I parked my car with post it note on the steering wheel that said. "Goodluck getting it into 2nd"
The next day, they called me and told me they would be rebuilding my tranny lol.

Last edited by Praetorian730; 2/27/13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 2/27/13, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, the rest of the car is HUGELY improved from where the Mustangs were just a few years ago. I'm disappointed in Ford for ignoring this issue and the people that have invested their hard earned dollars into the company. It boggles the mind. It's as though the stakeholders knew there was an issue and just thought, "Well, the motor will make them forget about the kinks in the tranny!".
Old 2/27/13, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it into the dealer. While the new bracket will be an improvement, the purpose of it isn't to fix your problem. Sounds like something is amiss, and the sooner you can get it looked at and document the issues the better off you'll be.

Last edited by PaxtonShelby; 2/27/13 at 11:52 AM.
Old 2/27/13, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
It's especially tough for someone who has been driving an S2000. Now THAT'S a sweet gearbox.
Old 2/27/13, 10:25 AM
V6 Member

Get it looked at. My 12 with MT82 is the best shifting manual I've ever had.
Old 2/27/13, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Quit replacing the shifting brackets on these cars. Wait until your warranty is up.
Old 2/27/13, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by blk12vert
Get it looked at. My 12 with MT82 is the best shifting manual I've ever had.
yea right lol
Old 2/27/13, 10:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rando
Quit replacing the shifting brackets on these cars. Wait until your warranty is up.
I have no idea why you'd even say this. This is an easy swap out of a POS part and it makes a huge improvement in the driving experience. Doing just the bracket should in no way be able to be blamed for any component failure that'd result in a warranty denial.
Old 2/27/13, 12:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JMac
I have no idea why you'd even say this. This is an easy swap out of a POS part and it makes a huge improvement in the driving experience. Doing just the bracket should in no way be able to be blamed for any component failure that'd result in a warranty denial.
Some people want to have their warranty intact in case they actually do need a trans rebuilt.
Old 2/27/13, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

Thats a pretty dumb statement on anything else in the car that might be good advice but we are talking about a rubber boot and some zip ties that thing has to go!!! Have you guys seen the stock bracket HOLY CRAP FORD I love you but give me my 5 speed back.
Old 2/27/13, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

yea right lol
+1..
Old 2/27/13, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I made an appointment for tomorrow am - did not want this to descend into a flamer. I'm hoping this will give someone else a source of info should they exp the same thing.

Yah, the S2000 has an amazing transmission. It's not without it's problems, too, but the driving experience is amazing. I really hope this is fixed soon. This car has so much going for it to be hung up at the shifter or clutch. When you drive this car, you almost feel like a hunter looking for prey. I'll probably end up with an MGW unit at some point, but I need to know that nothing is wrong with the clutch or flywheel.
Old 2/27/13, 01:46 PM
GT Member

Good call on either the bracket, as a quick fix or the MGW as a permanent fix. I too plan to go the MGW route at some point but since thats a bigger switch, I'll probably wait until my warranty is closer to ending. Regardless of other opinions, there is no way internal transmission problems will be reasonably attributable to the shifter bracket.
Old 2/27/13, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JMac
Yea right. Ford will do anything to get out of replacing a MT82 transmission. Period. Not worth the risk
Old 2/27/13, 03:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

yea right lol
Originally Posted by 2012GT
+1..

Hey J. Matero, is that you backing up your own statement.

To OP,

Bottom line is , YES an aftermarket bracket will improve the shifting, it did help mine when i installled the Steeda tranny bracket and shifter.

I also swithed to Redline MTL fluid, which also helped.

I say bring it in to your Ford dealership and have it looked at.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 2/27/13 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 2014 MT82