2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

thinking of getting 5.0 GT

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/12, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking of getting 5.0 GT

I'm shopping around for summer toy car. Till yesterday I was looking only at used Corvettes. By accident I discovered that the 2011+ GT has the 5L engine and 4.5s from 0-60! I'm leaning towards the Mustang because it can seat 4 people.

I'm thinking about getting manual transmission 2011+ GT convertible or Shelby GT500 convertible. Are there any issues with 2011 GTs? What should I know about them? Same questions for 2005+ 5.4L Shelby. Thanks.
Old 1/12/12, 10:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SnoSheriff
I'm shopping around for summer toy car. Till yesterday I was looking only at used Corvettes. By accident I discovered that the 2011+ GT has the 5L engine and 4.5s from 0-60! I'm leaning towards the Mustang because it can seat 4 people.

I'm thinking about getting manual transmission 2011+ GT convertible or Shelby GT500 convertible. Are there any issues with 2011 GTs? What should I know about them? Same questions for 2005+ 5.4L Shelby. Thanks.
Can seat 4 people. Yeah if those people are like 8 and 10 years old. The back seat is not a back seat for actually adults. Unless the adult is the size of a 8 year old
Old 1/12/12, 10:49 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SnoSheriff

Tranny issue, cylinder 8 issues, and other misc problems. But most things have been fixed by now. If i were you id look at 2013's. They make more power, wayy more features and options, sick looking rear end, and they come out in the spring.
Old 1/13/12, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by CCTking
Tranny issue, cylinder 8 issues, and other misc problems. But most things have been fixed by now. If i were you id look at 2013's. They make more power, wayy more features and options, sick looking rear end, and they come out in the spring.
For the GT, actually I think it's more likely that the 2013 is *rated* at a higher HP. It's only 8 HP difference from 2012... I doubt they did add that and I bet that they're just rating it closer to what it actually puts out (and always had in 2011 and 2012 too). And how are there "way" more features? The track app... that's all I can think of.

The new rear end is nice (of course depending on who you talk to) but don't forget the hood and front end are different, and those are getting very mixed reviews (most miss the aggressive looking hood hump).

Definitely cross-shop the 2012 with that 2013 on the GT.

As for the GT500.... 2013 no question (because of the awesome redesign).

Last edited by Seventh; 1/13/12 at 01:01 AM.
Old 1/13/12, 05:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend purchasing a GT and dumping the excess amount of cash you "would" have spent in a GT500 putting I performance and handling upgrades. The cost can be soaked up better into a GT you can customize to you own specs for cheaper but this is truly my opinion. On seating, I've crammed myself Ito the back seat of my s197 3 times total. I am 6'3 and although it doesn't seat me comfortably (like being crammed into a coffin) it can be accomplished in a pinch.
Old 1/13/12, 03:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

I feel my leg being pulled
Old 1/13/12, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

2013 GT hands down
Old 1/13/12, 05:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Seventh
For the GT, actually I think it's more likely that the 2013 is *rated* at a higher HP. It's only 8 HP difference from 2012... I doubt they did add that and I bet that they're just rating it closer to what it actually puts out (and always had in 2011 and 2012 too). And how are there "way" more features? The track app... that's all I can think of.
The power bump is due to "friction improvements learned from the Boss program". Not an exact quote but close enough.

As for the extra 2013 features: Track apps, track pack, select shift for the automatic, BBP available for the automatic and Recaros in cloth or leather available for any Mustang model. Way more.
Old 1/14/12, 10:24 AM
Cobra R Member

2013 GT500 "hands down".

Seriously, your particular needs & interests will drive which is best for you.

However, since the Mustang is heavier than the 'Vette, why not get the most powerful one ever built (650 HP, baby)?
Old 1/14/12, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

The GT 500 will hold it's value more than a GT will, no matter how much you put into it.
Old 1/14/12, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by yugoboss
The GT 500 will hold it's value more than a GT will, no matter how much you put into it.
I didn't know owning a car was an investment I'm going to cash out on. I do plan to NOT get rid of my Mustang but in this day and age, maybe I'm the only one who hates having a car payment and intends to drive the car into the ground?
Old 1/23/12, 03:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete07GT
I didn't know owning a car was an investment I'm going to cash out on. I do plan to NOT get rid of my Mustang but in this day and age, maybe I'm the only one who hates having a car payment and intends to drive the car into the ground?
You're not the only one, no, but it's wise to always think of such things these days. I'm planning on owning my '13 GT500 and parting from it only when I leave the thing for my niece (who's already a car girl) in my will. But I will not deny the fact that a '13 GT and a '13GT500, in similar conditions/similar mileage/stock, will sell for different values--provided one has the luxury of waiting to receive the money they want for the car. It's not the most important reason I chose the Shelby, but I do have to think of such distasteful prospects.
Old 1/23/12, 06:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Transmission issues are blown out of proportion...it can be slightly balky going into second when it's cold outside...but this is the case to some degree with most manual transmissions that I have lived with. There have been a few folks with bigger problems but statistically speaking this may be normal.

#8 cylinder issues are, as far as anyone knows, were 100% the result of improper custom tuning when the motor was first being tinkered with by the aftermarket. This has since been resolved and blown motors have pretty much stopped occuring.

I think the comparison between a used Vette and a new Mustang GT 5.0 is an interesting one. You can get a very nice C5 Z06 for the same price.. The acceleration numbers will be similar but the Z06 will be a better all around performance car. The Mustang will have the benefit of a warranty, that new-car smell, performing your own/proper break-in procedures and maintainence from day 1...and depending on your personal taste, a preferable style.

IMO, I like the rough edges of a pony/muscle car...The style suits me better...but you can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited by MRGTX; 1/23/12 at 06:49 AM.
Old 1/23/12, 07:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I think the comparison between a used Vette and a new Mustang GT 5.0 is an interesting one. You can get a very nice C5 Z06 for the same price.. The acceleration numbers will be similar but the Z06 will be a better all around performance car. The Mustang will have the benefit of a warranty, that new-car smell, performing your own/proper break-in procedures and maintainence from day 1...and depending on your personal taste, a preferable style.

IMO, I like the rough edges of a pony/muscle car...The style suits me better...but you can't go wrong with either one.
I would agree... C5 vette vs. '12 GT is an interesting comparison. the vette would be a better performer, and the mustang has more ground clearance, a backseat, and a larger trunk, for not much a sacrifice in performance. You also get a warranty and that nice smell we all love, and styling that's not bland, dated, and boring looking.
Old 1/23/12, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Regarding 2012 vs. 2013 if you take delivery on a 12 before April, there's $3,000 bucks off from Ford.
Old 1/24/12, 07:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Can seat 4 people. Yeah if those people are like 8 and 10 years old. The back seat is not a back seat for actually adults. Unless the adult is the size of a 8 year old
8 or 10 years old? Only if they don't have legs, or the driver/passenger like to sit close to the dash!

I only have me and the wife, so the back seat is no issue. I asked the dealer if they had an option of "rear seat delete" in the base type models. If they did, I would have gone for it. Still looking to see if the aftermarket offers a "rear seat" removal option like the Bos 302's offered. I'd remove mine if there is a good carpeted type replacement for the back.

Last edited by Bucko; 1/24/12 at 07:05 AM.
Old 1/24/12, 07:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete07GT
I like your style. This is why I bought my Mustang; to drive it and enjoy it. I maintain it better than the recommended intervals from Ford, so I expect it to last. Then I'll buy another.
Old 1/24/12, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
I like your style. This is why I bought my Mustang; to drive it and enjoy it. I maintain it better than the recommended intervals from Ford, so I expect it to last. Then I'll buy another.
Nice! I have a buddy of mine with an SN95/1998 GT and he did a Cobra motor swap on it. I will haggle that guy forever to own that car because of how fast his car is, and it's almost 14 years old!!! It's alarming how quickly new vehicles depreciate and that's why I buy used all of the time and after stepping into the world of aftermarket parts it's rare to find something that can't be replaced if you maintain the car as meticulously as people like YOU do I'm sure. My GT is my 3rd car that I have owned and will be the last if I don't get hit or have something irreplaceable break, knock on wood.
Old 1/24/12, 03:19 PM

I'm actually considering picking up one of the 2012 GT's as well because they should be trying to push them out soon.

The MT82 issue is really the only thing holding me back though. I drive a 10+ year old japanese sedan and there are no shifting issues at all, cold or warmed up.

I think every mustang forum has people talking about being locked out of gears and unable to shift. I really wish there was compiled of statistics of # of 6spd mustangs sold compared to # of ppl with shift problems.
see if I want to play the odds
Old 1/24/12, 04:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ximending
I'm actually considering picking up one of the 2012 GT's as well because they should be trying to push them out soon.

The MT82 issue is really the only thing holding me back though. I drive a 10+ year old japanese sedan and there are no shifting issues at all, cold or warmed up.

I think every mustang forum has people talking about being locked out of gears and unable to shift. I really wish there was compiled of statistics of # of 6spd mustangs sold compared to # of ppl with shift problems.
see if I want to play the odds
the MT82 thing is mostly blown out of proportion, it's not really that bad. having said that, both my 300,xxx mile '86 integra, and my 120,xxx mile '81 accord shifted far better than my '12 mustang GT with only 1300 miles on it.

a lot of the problem is with the factory shifter, which something I hope to replace soon with the piece from MGW.

if you're really that concerned about the MT82, just get a GT500, which has I believe the TR6060. either that or get an automatic.

Quick Reply: thinking of getting 5.0 GT