2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Thinking about getting some Hushpowers , but scared of drone! Any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/11, 08:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about getting some Hushpowers , but scared of drone! Any recommendations?

I decided I don't like the 5.0 stock exhaust note that much, and after listening to the Flowmaster Hushpower there's no doubt in my mind they sound the absolutely bassiest and sexiest.

But I read a lot of stuff about engine drone at 1-2k rpm. How bad is it?

Does the stock exhaust drone? (if it does, I haven't noticed it).

What are some other recommendations for cheap axle-back systems that sound great? I do not want it super loud (don't wanna be that douche, I live in an urban environ). My second choice are the rousch axle-backs, but I hear they're super loud.

I know you can shift your way out of the 1-2k drone band with a manual, but because my city literally has traffic lights every 50 feet I spend more time at 1-2k rpm than I want.

Borlas are WAY too expensive. To me the perfect sound is the hushpower, but I'm scared of drone because I spent more time at lower RPMs than not.
Old 2/24/11, 08:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the GT500 mufflers. Not much louder at idle, but they are noticable louder and more muscular when you get on it. Plus they are only around $300 for the pair.
Old 2/24/11, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Get the GT500 mufflers. Not much louder at idle, but they are noticable louder and more muscular when you get on it. Plus they are only around $300 for the pair.
+1

I was going to suggest borla but I agree, they're overpriced.
Old 2/24/11, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

I listened to the sound at ford parts website, I couldn't tell a difference between that and stock. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any links to more GT500 muffler sound clips?
Old 2/24/11, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD58WGi6mMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJk0...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAc6l...eature=related

Plenty more on youtube.
Old 2/24/11, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Better than stock it, but the hushpowers still sound numbah wan to me.
Old 2/24/11, 09:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jokerstars
Better than stock it, but the hushpowers still sound numbah wan to me.
Then go and get them?
Old 2/24/11, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Like I said, worried about this supposed drone.

I just found the Bassani Xhaust and they sound like Hushpowers to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_XB...eature=related

Awesome, yea?
Old 2/24/11, 09:18 AM
Banned

Like I said, worried about this supposed drone.

I just found the Bassani Xhaust and they sound like Hushpowers to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA_XB...eature=related

Awesome, yea?
Majority of these have drone. If you can deal with it, get it. Otherwise, go with something that won't give you a headache. I wanted something louder than stock, and GT500's were a HUGE improvement. All the others, either way too loud or too much drone.

Can't get everything in one package.
Old 2/24/11, 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
Majority of these have drone. If you can deal with it, get it. Otherwise, go with something that won't give you a headache. I wanted something louder than stock, and GT500's were a HUGE improvement. All the others, either way too loud or too much drone.

Can't get everything in one package.
I think borla is a good compromise between sound and having no drone. But thats probably why they charge so much for them. they're unique in that aspect.
Old 2/24/11, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
I think borla is a good compromise between sound and having no drone. But thats probably why they charge so much for them. they're unique in that aspect.
Borla Atak is the same as the GT500. Stype is the same the GT500 Sport. I think Borla developed GT500 exhaust systems.

Either way, I'd never pay $700 for just axlebacks.
Old 2/24/11, 09:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac

Borla Atak is the same as the GT500. Stype is the same the GT500 Sport. I think Borla developed GT500 exhaust systems.

Either way, I'd never pay $700 for just axlebacks.
The stock GT500 mufflers are not the same as the ataks. The borlas are much much louder then the gt599 mufflers.
Old 2/24/11, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Corsa states their mufflers eliminate drone as well.
Old 2/24/11, 09:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I love the Hushpowers also but most hate the drone and end up taking them off their cars.
Old 2/24/11, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm running Bassani axlebacks which have little to no drone to start. Combine that with a good sound deadening of your trunk area (second skin Damplifier here) and you'll be good to go with no obnoxiousness inside the car.. Drone is really only an issue under load in higher gears, so typically your around town driving won't be an issue..

More sound deadening pics here: http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/m-...und-deadening/

Last edited by Modshack; 2/24/11 at 10:06 AM.
Old 2/24/11, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

So drone is only an issue in higher gears? That's a relief. I rarely drive on the highway.

If the drone if not an issue at 2k+ rpm, I'm definitely leaning to the Bassani Xhaust. The Roush sounds good, but seems reaaaallly loud.
Old 2/24/11, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

So drone is only an issue in higher gears? That's a relief. I rarely drive on the highway.

If the drone if not an issue at 2k+ rpm, I'm definitely leaning to the Bassani Xhaust. The Roush sounds good, but seems reaaaallly loud.
Usually, yes. For example when im in the city, my magnaflow is fine and sounds great but once I get on the highway and do 65-70 and it sits at 1900rpm its terrible once i hit the gas in 6th gear up until 2100
Old 2/24/11, 10:46 AM
V6 Member

I guess when it comes to exhaust it's all about personal taste. I ended up getting a set of Roush's thrown on mine. I wanted something loud when I stepped on it but normal when just cruising. I am beyond happy with my choice...there is zero drone what so ever...and when I step on the gas it literally sounds like a race car. But if I'm just cruising down the highway it sounds like the normal exhaust notes that come from stock mufflers. It cost me about 520 installed...very very well worth the money IMO.
Old 2/24/11, 10:50 AM
V6 Member

Put the roush's on mine a couple weeks ago...I must report that they are in fact absurdly loud haha. I don't know if you have heard them in person but it sounds amazing...
Old 2/24/11, 10:53 AM
V6 Member

^what he said. ZERO DRONE...and they sound really nice when you get on the gas.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting some Hushpowers , but scared of drone! Any recommendations?