Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Test drove a 2011 GT today, ride quality ???

Old 7/31/10, 08:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove a 2011 GT today, ride quality ???

I should reintroduce myself. I signed up here in 2005 when the s197 came out but never ended up buying one. I am now in the market again (maybe) so I've been very interested in the 2011 GT. I currently drive a JB3 tuned 335i coupe (6MT) so finding a vehicle with comparable levels of performance, driving feel, and overall fun is a bit difficult.

I have driven 4 2011 GTs now. All 3.73, 6MT cars. 2 w/o Brembo and 2 with the pkg. My first test was about an hour or so in a non-Brembo car. Sales guy let me have at it (high speed, low speed, sharp turn arounds, burnouts, etc). I came away very impressed. Steering feel was spot on, power delivery was smooth, deceptively fast acceleration, good stock brakes. I could go on but you have all heard that before. The only downside was a slightly floaty suspension. I walked away very impressed and consider this to be on the short list for a replacement for my 335. It is a different driving experience, but a pleasant one.

Went back today and drove a Brembo car....and it drove horribly. The ride was rough and jarring (jittery really). It felt like the tires either had 60psi or there was a suspension or balancing issue. If you are familiar with "tire slap", this car felt like it had it on all four wheels. Swapped to another Brembo car and it ws much better but still a bit jittery and jarring, although to a much lesser degree. Salesman felt like there was something definitely wrong with the first car but not so sure with the second.

I am very familiar with performance cars and certainly don't expect Lexus ride quality. I know the difference between a firm, taught ride and a bad ride. I am just amazed at the difference in ride between the non-Brembo and the Brembo car.

Those of you with Brembos, is your ride like this? I had considered lowering springs (K springs) but after driving the Brembos today, I have concerns about the ride even at stock height.

I hope to go back and drive non-Brembo to Brembo back to back again but thought I'd drop in and get some insight.

Seems like a great site and the GT seems like a great car. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the car.

Jim
Old 7/31/10, 09:30 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All in the strut and shock tuning, purposely stiffer on Brembo cars since it is a more track oriented car.
Old 7/31/10, 10:16 PM
Cobra Member

First off, welcome back! German cars are incredible, and so are these 5.0s. So you really can't lose either way

I found the same with the Brembo package when compared to a GT/CS, even though they both have 19s. It's just geared more for handling at the sacrifice of ride, I guess. Maybe it's the roads I drove on, but I kinda liked it?
Old 7/31/10, 10:19 PM
Cobra Member

Reposted from Jott:

"For some reference, here's what the $1695 Brembo Package entails:
-- Front 14-inch Brembo vented rotors with Brembo four-piston calipers
-- Rear 11.8-inch vented rotors with four-piston calipers
-- Unique 19-inch wheels
-- Summer performance tires
-- Unique suspension
-- Unique electronic stability control and steering tuning

Source: Ford"
Old 7/31/10, 10:24 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
Reposted from Jott:

"For some reference, here's what the $1695 Brembo Package entails:
-- Front 14-inch Brembo vented rotors with Brembo four-piston calipers
-- Rear 11.8-inch vented rotors with four-piston calipers
-- Unique 19-inch wheels
-- Summer performance tires
-- Unique suspension
-- Unique electronic stability control and steering tuning

Source: Ford"
And there is one glaring inaccuracy in that list, rear calipers are single piston, not four piston.

And I believe the springs are the same as a non-brembo GT, just different struts/shocks plus GT500 rear lower control arms.
Old 7/31/10, 10:54 PM
Cobra Member

Hmmm, I wonder what "Ford" source that was then? Sorry about that!
Old 7/31/10, 11:00 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
Hmmm, I wonder what "Ford" source that was then? Sorry about that!
Ford

If you look up in the 5.0 modifications section there is a big stink over the mistake in the specs.
Old 7/31/10, 11:01 PM
Cobra Member

Oh, I feel a little better then! Thanks, I'm lurking more and more lately in the 5.0 section
Old 7/31/10, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
And there is one glaring inaccuracy in that list, rear calipers are single piston, not four piston.

And I believe the springs are the same as a non-brembo GT, just different struts/shocks plus GT500 rear lower control arms.
Actually the springs are different; Kevin fromt he OEM parts thread made a post a while back showing Brembo-specific springs. I don't think anybody knows exactly what the difference is at this point, the assumption is that they have a slightly higher spring rate.
Old 7/31/10, 11:45 PM
V6 Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I'll take all of the info I can get. I can buy the suspension differences causing the stiffer ride on the second Brembo car. Just curious to know if anyone has run across the problem I noted with the first Brembo car.

I am also curious to hear from folks who have lowered their cars just using the Ford 1 inch drop springs.
Old 8/1/10, 06:00 AM
V6 Member

When I picked my car up, it had over 40 psi in all 4 tires. I find it hard to believe they weren't checked. I wish mine rode better then it does but it's as good as my wifes C300 w/Sport suspension. I feel it's the 40 series tires.

Last edited by gkgeiger; 8/1/10 at 06:06 AM.
Old 8/1/10, 06:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by gkgeiger
When I picked my car up, it had over 40 psi in all 4 tires. I find it hard to believe they weren't checked. I wish mine rode better then it does but it's as good as my wifes C300 w/Sport suspension. I feel it's the 40 series tires.
Mine was the same way. Over 40psi in all 4 tires.
Old 8/1/10, 06:47 AM
V6 Member

The difference is due to the taller side wall of the 18" non brembo tire which soaks up the bumps better. You will find in the future that the nonbrembo GT is faster due to ease in spinning the tires. The reason for this is the knowledge that the 18" tires are 1/2 the cost of the 19s. There is nothing in the brembo package that I wanted.
Old 8/1/10, 06:50 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Magnamover
The difference is due to the taller side wall of the 18" non brembo tire which soaks up the bumps better. You will find in the future that the nonbrembo GT is faster due to ease in spinning the tires. The reason for this is the knowledge that the 18" tires are 1/2 the cost of the 19s. There is nothing in the brembo package that I wanted.
Tire sidewall is not all the difference, stiffer struts/shocks/springs makes up the bulk of the stiffer ride. But I agree that there is not much of the brembo package that interests me either.
Old 8/1/10, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Having just picked up my Brembo package this week I can make some observations....IMO Firm, not overly harsh though. Certainly better than the 370Z I just traded. ....Sounds like the cars you drove had incorrect tire pressures....Pretty common at dealerships these days. Set em to 35 psi and you're good to go.

I installed FRPP "P" springs yesterday (1" drop progressives) and was pleasantly surprised at the improvement in ride. The progressive nature of these (Eibach made) springs results in a slightly softer initial rate which seems to remove even the slight harshness of the straight rate stock Brembo springs. Lowering the car, combined with the good sway bar rates and balance on the Brembo package improved handling nicely. Bottom line it looks better, handles better and rides better. I can't be happier with the change..

Last edited by Modshack; 8/1/10 at 07:35 AM.
Old 8/1/10, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

I have the brembo package and love it. I haven't driven a 3 series lately, but have ridden in a few and found the ride to be similarly smooth. Yesterday I gave a ride to my niece's boyfriend. His mom has a 335 and he said the mustang seemed smoother. Who can say.

I would like to lower the car, but am concerned about harshness. My 05 GT was dropped and I had run flats on it. Way too f'n harsh! Don't want that experience again.
Old 8/1/10, 10:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

My ride is just incredible with 1" FRPP springs. I would say it handles and rides better than stock.
Old 8/1/10, 10:13 AM
V6 Member

My car had almost 10 psi to much air in the tires when I brought it home. That could cause what you experienced.
Old 8/1/10, 10:16 AM
Cobra Member

I think it really varies on a person's particular expectations too. Rattles in my vert are a great example. If I'm riding with someone, I'll hear a noise and say, "There it is! Do you hear it?!" and I get blank stares. Meanwhile it's driving me crazy because I want a car to be taut, quiet, and well put together. So my threshold is much lower than the average person.

Same goes for ride and handling really? Maybe not the first one, but the second?
Old 8/1/10, 10:38 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

I thought from the Ford specs that the rear brakes on the "regular" Mustang had single-piston, cast iron calipers and the Brembo used two-piston aluminum calipers on the same sized 11.8" disc? Did anyone ever confirm this?

• Brembo
® Brake Package (55D)

– 19" Dark Stainless painted aluminum wheels
– Brembo 4-piston high-performance front calipers and rotors
– Rear 2-piston calipers and 11.8" vented rotors
– Summer compound performance tires

– Tire Mobility Kit replaces spare tire

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test drove a 2011 GT today, ride quality ???