2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Taillight tint insurance problem?

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/12, 10:49 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, you can see the car slowing down even without brake lights, but don't forget about the reduction of rear end collisions that was seen after high-mount 3rd brake lights became a federal requirement. Functioning visible brake lights prevent accidents. To argue otherwise seems rather silly, IMO.
Old 2/24/12, 10:52 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by jlmounce
If somebody modifies their vehicle by tinting the tail lights, but can still prove that those modifications meet all road statutes and limitations for daytime and night time visibility, the insurance company can't just make up rules regarding that. Some companies may try to do this, but a call to the department of insurance for your state will more than likely quickly see that overturned.
needs to be in bold
Old 2/24/12, 02:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your set on the tinted tailights, get leds for the bulbs!!
Old 2/24/12, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

So everyone that is saying tinted taillight are just going to get you sued and in trouble what about the 13' MY mustangs ? Those are tinted from factory and just about blend in with black paint? Also side-note what about engine braking no lights there.
Old 2/24/12, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobrag
So everyone that is saying tinted taillight are just going to get you sued and in trouble what about the 13' MY mustangs ? Those are tinted from factory and just about blend in with black paint? Also side-note what about engine braking no lights there.
Those are LED's on the 13
Old 2/24/12, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Those are LED's on the 13
very true but still the old lights were not candle sticks they have decent output.
Old 2/24/12, 03:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

The model year 11 and 12 utilize LED bulbs as well.

I'll say this, as long as your tint job isn't so dark that it restricts light to a point where you can't see it, all the speculation here about getting in to trouble is over the top.

Many people have tinted tail lights and probably a good 95% of them never have any issues. Of the people that do, it's usually just a fix it ticket.

Once in a blue moon you'll find a case so wild and out there about somebody doing something and getting a lawsuit filed against them. This happens with anything in life and is usually the result of doing something stupid in the first place.

If you're worried about it, simply don't do it.
Old 2/24/12, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't tint over any lights, front or rear. Period. You're not the only ones on the road.
Old 2/24/12, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has been brought up several times in these forums and I'm always suprised at how quickly the some of the "don't do it" posters resort to insults like calling the guys that do tint their lights "stupid" or the act itself "stupid".

I get it. You stand a chance of someone claiming they didn't see your brake lights. But the truth is, if the driver behind you is following the laws as well and not following too closely, and paying attention to the road instead of texting, changing the radio, or ogling his girlfriend in the passenger seat this wouldn't be an issue.

Each state has a law regarding how visible brake/tail lights need to be to be considered legal. But the state laws do not determine the outcome of the court case in all situations. If you tamper with any of the safety devices on the car and get in any kind of traffic incident anyone can make a case that your modifications led to the accident. Now that could also include tail light bezels. A douchebag.... cough cough, I mean "good" lawyer could make an argument that even the bezels contributed to his clients inability to notice your brake lights in our courts nowadays. Anything is possible in an insane world where people can sue McDonald's because the coffee was too hot and win. So with that being said. Beware of changing the lights.

Now I get off the soapbox and say that I have tinted my brake lights with a tinted clear coat. It's still clearly visible from well over 1000 feet, day or night. I have verified this. But that still doesn't protect me and one day I may pay the price for that. But if I'm sure if I was to measure the lumens of my lights and compare them to the stock lights of some other vehicles mine would still be brighter, and the square inches of the lights on the 2010+ cars is huge! I'm sure with a "good" enough lawyer of my own I could make an impressive argument in my favor as well.

Bottom line is this. Know the risk before you do it. Any modification can be used against you. The only sure way to be safe is to leave the brake lights be.
Old 2/24/12, 08:41 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that all just sounds silly. Thats like saying "if I shot this gun into the air 95% of the time no one will get hurt". The fact is no one has the right to gamble with other peoples saftey. No one has the right to say "you should known my tail lights with tnted". Everyone on the road has a job to do and making that job harder for other people is like firing that bullet towards a crowd.
Old 2/24/12, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
that all just sounds silly. Thats like saying "if I shot this gun into the air 95% of the time no one will get hurt". The fact is no one has the right to gamble with other peoples saftey. No one has the right to say "you should known my tail lights with tnted". Everyone on the road has a job to do and making that job harder for other people is like firing that bullet towards a crowd.
Call it what you want. If they keep their eyes on the road, obey the laws regarding following another vehicle and my tail lights are within the legal boundaries there isn't an issue. I can control my lights, I can't control what they do.
Old 2/25/12, 02:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Don't tint over any lights, front or rear. Period. You're not the only ones on the road.

It's your car do as you wish. Just ask yourself is it worth the headache should you get stopped or have an accident.

Happy Mustanging
Old 2/25/12, 05:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
The problem here is that there is grey area in the proof. If you get rear-ended, more than likely the rear end of your vehicle is destroyed, including the tail-lights. That makes it a situation of he said, she said. At that point, the insurance companies will defer to any police reports that may have been filed. If a police report determines no wrong doing for one car, it's very hard to adequately argue that comparative negligence took place.
Exactly, as I stated in the 2nd post in this thread. Listen to the people that do this for a living. Joe Schmo cannot just pop up and say this, this, and that and it's automatically a fact. Law is law and it usually is based on the light which passes thru the lense that matters.

As for a civil case, to say u can be sued civilly is true. Yet if you live your life thinking that, you might as well lock yourself in a rubber room. It's 2012 you can literally be sued for looking at someone the wrong way, and I mean that literally.

I am neither for or against taillight tinting but please post FACTS and not what one conjures up In their head to support their side!!!!!!! A lot of the things in this thread are just plain erroneous!!

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 2/25/12 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2/25/12, 05:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Not for nothing but, on that note, your ROUSH exhaust is gambling with others' safety. Along with most mods.

Plus firing a round into a crowd and putting some smoked tint on your taillights are ridiculous to compare.

As I stated im neither for or against either but let's all be reasonable and post facts instead of flaming.
Old 2/25/12, 06:06 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

what do my mufflers have to do with a saftey system that lets overs know you are coming to a stop??

If anything these bad boys let them know I am coming and that adds to saftey
Old 2/25/12, 06:08 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by RobDis
Call it what you want. If they keep their eyes on the road, obey the laws regarding following another vehicle and my tail lights are within the legal boundaries there isn't an issue. I can control my lights, I can't control what they do.
things happen and people need every bit of help they can get. The average person has a IQ just above a person that wears a helmet and crap a diaper.
Old 2/25/12, 06:11 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Not for nothing but, on that note, your ROUSH exhaust is gambling with others' safety. Along with most mods.

Plus firing a round into a crowd and putting some smoked tint on your taillights are ridiculous to compare.

As I stated im neither for or against either but let's all be reasonable and post facts instead of flaming.
1. covered the roush.

2. I said firing a round in the air towards a crowd.

3. facts are in a small way people are picking some tacky *** lights over other saftey.. need I say more.
Old 2/25/12, 06:13 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Exactly, as I stated in the 2nd post in this thread. Listen to the people that do this for a living. Joe Schmo cannot just pop up and say this, this, and that and it's automatically a fact. Law is law and it usually is based on the light which passes thru the lense that matters.

As for a civil case, to say u can be sued civilly is true. Yet if you live your life thinking that, you might as well lock yourself in a rubber room. It's 2012 you can literally be sued for looking at someone the wrong way, and I mean that literally.

I am neither for or against taillight tinting but please post FACTS and not what one conjures up In their head to support their side!!!!!!! A lot of the things in this thread are just plain erroneous!!
For the record, this is what I do for a living, and your (the third) post in this thread is erroneous.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 2/25/12 at 06:18 PM.
Old 2/25/12, 06:18 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

why does everyone have to be such a cheap ***? just buy the after market smocked ones that are legal and avoid having to deal with this thread and topic in general.
Old 2/25/12, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

things happen and people need every bit of help they can get. The average person has a IQ just above a person that wears a helmet and crap a diaper.
I've made up my mind. I'm gonna tape off just a small area on each separated area of the tail lights and plastidip the rest of the tail lights. But first I'm going to sand the tinted clear off. Then I'll be legal again! LOL Not really...

Sorry I was tired of being all serious and decided to troll a little.........

Quick Reply: Taillight tint insurance problem?