Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sync, are you drunk again?

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/15, 03:18 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody noticed that you have to speak like a drunk person to get Sync to work. For example, if you say "bluetooth" or "bluetooth audio" plain as day, half the time if thinks you are saying "dial" or simply "I did not understand you, please say a command".

I don't use it that much but I tell you what, and maybe I have an accent normally but if you say "bluthuthadio" it works every time. That's how Sync says it on mine. It's like all strung together in one big run on word and you have to say it exactly like that to get it to work normally. I don't ever use it if I have a girl with me b/c I feel like a total idiot saying it that way.

You literally have to talk like you are drunk to get it to work right. Anybody else experience this phenomenon or is it just me?

Last edited by choate; 5/8/15 at 05:31 PM.
Old 5/8/15, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah mine has a complete lack of understanding of some basic commands as well. But it definitely works better since I updated it.
Old 5/8/15, 07:41 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I use mine to dial the phone or ask for a specific song, but that's pretty much it. Quicker to just hit a button for selecting media or radio. And setting climate control takes so much longer than just bumping the temperature button up or down.

Me: climate
Sync: climate, please say a command
Me: set temperature to 71 degrees
Sync: did you say set temperature to 71 degrees?
Me: yes
Sync: setting temperature to 71 degrees.
Old 5/10/15, 09:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sync 3 is just around the corner...
Old 5/11/15, 06:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
Sync 3 is just around the corner...
Yeah, if you want to buy a new car. SYNC 3 requires different hardware and will not be available as an upgrade.

My experience with SYNC voice commands is so bad that I half expect to say "call home" and have it respond "deploying airbags".
Old 5/11/15, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I use mine mostly to play music from a USB thumb drive and usually by album name. It usually understands me pretty well, but the way it pronounces things back can be pretty amusing. For example if I say "play genre folk" it sounds like she repeats back "playing genre f...".
Old 5/11/15, 05:34 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by choate
Has anybody noticed that you have to speak like a drunk person to get Sync to work. For example, if you say "bluetooth" or "bluetooth audio" plain as day, half the time if thinks you are saying "dial" or simply "I did not understand you, please say a command".

I don't use it that much but I tell you what, and maybe I have an accent normally but if you say "bluthuthadio" it works every time. That's how Sync says it on mine. It's like all strung together in one big run on word and you have to say it exactly like that to get it to work normally. I don't ever use it if I have a girl with me b/c I feel like a total idiot saying it that way.

You literally have to talk like you are drunk to get it to work right. Anybody else experience this phenomenon or is it just me?
Hi choate,

Check your account at: http://owner.ford.com/ to see if any software updates are available. Like 88lx50 mentioned, they can certainly make a difference!

Kim
Old 5/12/15, 12:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yeah, if you want to buy a new car. SYNC 3 requires different hardware and will not be available as an upgrade.

My experience with SYNC voice commands is so bad that I half expect to say "call home" and have it respond "deploying airbags".
I don't know if you are a married man but I will tell you be careful because once I said "call Dad, cell" and next thing you know it was calling this Danielle girl I used to know but didn't care to talk to and couldn't hang up before it rang lol

Originally Posted by tukatz
I use mine mostly to play music from a USB thumb drive and usually by album name. It usually understands me pretty well, but the way it pronounces things back can be pretty amusing. For example if I say "play genre folk" it sounds like she repeats back "playing genre f...".
Classic music genre right there!

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi choate,

Check your account at: http://owner.ford.com/ to see if any software updates are available. Like 88lx50 mentioned, they can certainly make a difference!

Kim
I'll look into that. Thank for the info Kim
Old 5/12/15, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The voice commands in my car seem to be really sensitive to outside noise. it's to the point that I can not use voice commands if you are accelerating or even driving at sustained higher speeds. You can completely forget about using it with the windows open while driving. You seem to be either stopped or driving really slow for them to work. And even then I get the nonsense described in the OP. I have stopped using voice commands and essentially SYNC all together because it is far more frustrating that it should ever be and I have called so many people that I never intended to.
Old 5/12/15, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Carry a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels. Put one end up to your mouth and point the other end toward the Sync microphone. You would look pretty silly but I'll bet it would work.
Old 5/12/15, 02:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
SYNC 3 can run on the old hardware, Ford leadership however won't allow it. Upgrading older cars doesn't sale new cars.

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 5/12/15, 05:01 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by choate
I'll look into that. Thank for the info Kim
You're welcome, choate.

Kim
Old 5/12/15, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by zeroaviation
SYNC 3 can run on the old hardware, Ford leadership however won't allow it. Upgrading older cars doesn't sale new cars.

Cheers,
-Matt
Nope, not compatible. Ford has every reason to want to have it compatible because being able to upgrade a current model year car like the 2015 Mustang could help sales by keeping some customers from waiting for the 2016 or shopping another brand. It's a completely different operating system... something like trying to run Android on an iPhone.

Besides it makes no difference - it won't be available whether it's due to hardware or due to executive decision.
Old 5/13/15, 04:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol I love Sync but some times when I say call this person it calls somebody els. I love it though! 50 years from now cars will drive them selves and you will say "drive me to my girl friends house" and the car will take you to your mother in laws house hahahaha! Progress baby!
Old 5/13/15, 05:16 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I asked my SYNC to "Find me sex", you know what it did? It changed my Sirius radio channel from Rock to a Gospel channel
Old 5/13/15, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nope, not compatible. Ford has every reason to want to have it compatible because being able to upgrade a current model year car like the 2015 Mustang could help sales by keeping some customers from waiting for the 2016 or shopping another brand. It's a completely different operating system... something like trying to run Android on an iPhone.

Besides it makes no difference - it won't be available whether it's due to hardware or due to executive decision.
Trust me when I say it is compatible. It can be compiled down to the GEN1 hardware. (Which is a i.MX51x series SoC) Both targets are ARM, so its just an instructions set change in the compiler.

Ford in general would love it, Ford leadership on the other hand does not.

An operating system can be targeted for any platform if someone takes the time to compile it for the correct platform. For example, we can run W10 now on a raspberry Pi, and .NET on a ARM proc. For the record, you can run Android on the iPhone.

Cheers,
-Matt

Last edited by zeroaviation; 5/13/15 at 08:02 AM.
Old 5/13/15, 07:20 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Trust me when I say it is compatible. It can be compiled down to the GEN1 hardware. (Which is a i.MX51x series SoC) Both targets are ARM, so its just an instructions set change in the compiler.

Ford in general would love it, Ford leadership on the other hand does not.

An operating system can be targeted for any platform if someone takes the time to compile it for the correct platform. For example, we can run W10 now on a raspberry Pi, and .NET on a ARM proc. For the record, you can run Android on the iPhone. Android running on iPhone - YouTube

Cheers,
-Matt
If it has to be recompiled, debugged and optimized for a different platform, it is not 'compatible'. That is a large investment in resources. It's not like you can just take the source code, recompile it, and get a working product out the other side. Software isn't that easy.
Old 5/14/15, 12:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgrading older cars doesn't sale new cars.
Leaving us stuck with the existing system doesn't sell new cars either. I am more inclined to walk away from any new car with Sync based on my experience. As I'm sure you are aware, it's virtually impossible to order a well-equipped Ford without Sync. Catch 22.

Actually, the same thing can be said for Sirius/XM. I will never subscribe to Sirius/XM and I don't want a car with the XM wart stuck on the body but good luck ordering a well-equipped vehicle without it. Apparently, it's acceptable to place the wart dead center on the trunk lid of a convertible...NOT. Sirius/XM should be a standalone option for those that want it or at least a universal delete option for those who do not want it.
Old 5/14/15, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by skramblr
If it has to be recompiled, debugged and optimized for a different platform, it is not 'compatible'. That is a large investment in resources. It's not like you can just take the source code, recompile it, and get a working product out the other side. Software isn't that easy.
The statement I was making is "Yes it can run on gen1 hardware if Ford leadership decided to allow it". There is nothing hardware wise holding it back, and for all we know, it's already been done just for fun.

To your second statement, it depends on the technology used. C/C++ sure you can! C#/.NET could be extremely portable if you moved the IL/CLR over to a different platform.

Software is as easy as you make it Generic

-Matt

Last edited by zeroaviation; 5/14/15 at 07:47 AM.
Old 5/14/15, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boss 0960
Actually, the same thing can be said for Sirius/XM. I will never subscribe to Sirius/XM and I don't want a car with the XM wart stuck on the body but good luck ordering a well-equipped vehicle without it. Apparently, it's acceptable to place the wart dead center on the trunk lid of a convertible...NOT. Sirius/XM should be a standalone option for those that want it or at least a universal delete option for those who do not want it.
Simple... install an MMD painted cover over the satellite/GPS antenna and it will look much more integrated to the body than the black does. I installed the white one on my 'vert and now I forget it's even there except when I'm washing the car.

Quick Reply: Sync, are you drunk again?