Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sync system question

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/11, 11:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync system question

Supposedly, we're supposed to have updates and such, but there's nothing for the 2011 since I bought it last year. Of particular interest to me is the "install app" function. Presumably, you could add cool stuff to the sync system, maybe another voice? Sometimes I can't stand the Madam Microsoft voice....thoughts?
Old 1/9/11, 12:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What works on the Fiesta does not mean that it is ready and available for every previous firmware version of SYNC. Even if so I would'nt expect that they have an upgrade availabe less than a week after announcing.

Well anyhow do not get upset if it turns out to be a dealer installled upgrade. That was the often the case in the past. As I understand it SYNC is not a subscription service with free firmware updates for life. But courtesy software upgrades were provided via download but was not a very easy task to reprogram and install for some.

Also there are at least 3 generations of SYNC and all have unique hardware. The first generation did not have the GPS receiver and lack many features of the second generation. I recall many people wanted a SYNC gen 1 upgrade to add features that was offered on SYNC gen 2 but until now not available.

Good luck
Old 1/9/11, 01:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
What works on the Fiesta does not mean that it is ready and available for every previous firmware version of SYNC. Even if so I would'nt expect that they have an upgrade availabe less than a week after announcing.

Well anyhow do not get upset if it turns out to be a dealer installled upgrade. That was the often the case in the past. As I understand it SYNC is not a subscription service with free firmware updates for life. But courtesy software upgrades were provided via download but was not a very easy task to reprogram and install for some.

Also there are at least 3 generations of SYNC and all have unique hardware. The first generation did not have the GPS receiver and lack many features of the second generation. I recall many people wanted a SYNC gen 1 upgrade to add features that was offered on SYNC gen 2 but until now not available.

Good luck
I supposedly have all the features, navigation, voice controlled USB music, phone, etc. I use it all the time, and have done the "upgrade availability" test with a USB flash drive and all. I'd just like to know whether they're going to take advantage of the potential of this thing, or whether they already have and I don't know. Also, anyone know of any hacks for sync? Also also, does anyone know if you can swap for the navigation / touch interface unit from the standard unit?
Old 1/9/11, 03:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaspi101
I supposedly have all the features, navigation, voice controlled USB music, phone, etc. I use it all the time, and have done the "upgrade availability" test with a USB flash drive and all. I'd just like to know whether they're going to take advantage of the potential of this thing, or whether they already have and I don't know.

Well it looks like a waiting game from here. It will only be available on snycmyride.com and specifically under your login and account. You can always ask there

Also, anyone know of any hacks for sync?

SYNC is a revolutionary feature in in-car entertainment. You can be sure that FORD has invested millions in this technology and you can be sure that they are very protective of their investment. To hack this system would probably yield very little outside of some serious legal trouble. So be careful where you ask about hacking or reverse engineering SYNC. I know in this case hack means modify or alteration.

Also also, does anyone know if you can swap for the navigation / touch interface unit from the standard unit?

This can be done for a considerable amount than getting it as a factory option at the time of purchasing a new car. Not very easy to properly retrofit either. There are some aftermarket touch screen interface solutions but most are not quite as seamless or interface fully with SYNC.

You can find a thread from last month regarding the nav retrofit.......try "SEARCH THIS FORUM" tab and try the term navigation. Someone had some parts from a wrecked car that he may have figured out how to get it going. I have my doubts but I wish you luck.
Old 1/9/11, 08:57 AM
GT Member

@eurocobra dude, thanks! And by hack, I do mean to stay within the boundaries if the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Thanks again!
Old 1/9/11, 11:15 AM
Banned

Wish they had a feature like on some Garmin devices where you could program your own voice, that would be sweet.
Old 1/9/11, 04:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Wish they had a feature like on some Garmin devices where you could program your own voice, that would be sweet.
Hells yeah! I would put Patrick Stewart's voice (Capt. Picard). That would so rock.