Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

SYNC + iPhone = WTF

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/10, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SYNC + iPhone = WTF

Anyone else having problems getting SYNC and iPhone to cooperate? When I get in the car I plug in the USB cord. The phone randomly decides whether it wants to feed through the USB or the Bluetooth. Additionally, the car automatically connects via Bluetooth, so I have to manually switch it to USB. By this point the phone has settled on Bluetooth, so I have to go into the iPod and switch it to USB also.

Then if I have it connected through the USB, half the time it drops the connection to my phone, which makes a whole world of trouble if I try to make or receive calls. Once everything is set up it's golden, but it's a massive pain in my *** every freaking time I get in the **** car and I'm losing my patience with it.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is there any sort of adjustments I can make- for example, can I set the USB to take precedent over Bluetooth for playback? I didn't have any problems until about a week ago. Two or three days ago I updated to 4.1 on my iPhone and it's been 5x worse since.
Old 9/16/10, 09:47 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I never even considered using the USB I just always use it with Bluetooth.
Old 9/16/10, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Using it with Bluetooth I can't change the song using the steering wheel controls. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Old 9/16/10, 09:55 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Freshmeat
Using it with Bluetooth I can't change the song using the steering wheel controls. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
"I see" says the blind man.

On rare occasion since I always use Bluetooth I have had it start out with USB and I have to go into the media menu to change it to stream via Bluetooth from my phone.

So apparently sometimes it happens both ways.
Old 9/16/10, 11:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone else having problems getting SYNC and iPhone to cooperate? When I get in the car I plug in the USB cord. The phone randomly decides whether it wants to feed through the USB or the Bluetooth. Additionally, the car automatically connects via Bluetooth, so I have to manually switch it to USB. By this point the phone has settled on Bluetooth, so I have to go into the iPod and switch it to USB also.

Then if I have it connected through the USB, half the time it drops the connection to my phone, which makes a whole world of trouble if I try to make or receive calls. Once everything is set up it's golden, but it's a massive pain in my *** every freaking time I get in the **** car and I'm losing my patience with it.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is there any sort of adjustments I can make- for example, can I set the USB to take precedent over Bluetooth for playback? I didn't have any problems until about a week ago. Two or three days ago I updated to 4.1 on my iPhone and it's been 5x worse since.
I have the exact same problem...each update on my i-phone only seems to make it worse. You can try pulling the SYNC fuse...which works for me but only for a short time, then it starts acting up again.
Old 9/17/10, 12:00 AM
GT Member

Anyone have any problems with using Droid phones?
Old 9/17/10, 05:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Maybe I didn't follow your first post but why not just turn off the BT function on your phone? Why do you want both BT and USB connection?
Old 9/17/10, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Same problem here. I just decided to use an iPod with the USB, and my iPhone for bluetooth phone. Works great, and no frustration.
Old 9/17/10, 06:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Maybe I didn't follow your first post but why not just turn off the BT function on your phone? Why do you want both BT and USB connection?
So I can still make and receive phone calls.

...and this morning I had it streaming via BT and it's able to change the songs with the steering wheel controls. Not sure if an update fixed that but it didn't work when I bought the car. Having the ability to control it in BT mode with my steering wheel resolves all my issues I believe. It just doesn't display which song is playing but I can deal with that.
Old 9/17/10, 06:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Go onto syncmyride.com and make sure you have the latest firmware installed in your car. I had to update mine right after getting the car.

As a more snide response to your problem:
SYNC = Microsoft
iPhone = Apple

It is just another way for Bill Gates to get back at Steve Jobs
Old 9/17/10, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JScottGT
As a more snide response to your problem:
SYNC = Microsoft
iPhone = Apple

It is just another way for Bill Gates to get back at Steve Jobs
Thanks for the early laugh. Haha
Old 9/17/10, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by monkeystash
Same problem here. I just decided to use an iPod with the USB, and my iPhone for bluetooth phone. Works great, and no frustration.
If it starts acting up again I'm going to go this route as well. Thanks for posting the idea.
Old 9/17/10, 07:06 AM

This isnt exactly a "solution" to your problem but... I sync my palm pre using BT (flawless) and then I just leave a USB flash drive in the car for listening to music. That way I get BT phone support AND i can speak to play music "play artist blah blah" This works for me because i dont update my music daily. When i do download more music i just bring in the usb drive and copy over the new music. I dont want to have to plug in a cable everytime i get in the car.
Old 9/17/10, 07:23 AM
GT Member

Im having similar problems with my iphon4 and 4.1 firmware. I didnt have any problems a few weeks ago when I had my 3G and 4.0.2 firmware.
Old 9/17/10, 09:08 AM
V6 Member

after my 4.1 update, steering controls work.
Old 9/17/10, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

iPhone OS 4.1 added new Blutooth capabilities to the phone so now back/forward should work. Must have just been released finally. I thought they were supposed to make titles work over Blutooth too but maybe we'll have to wait on a SYNC update for that. I have some trouble with connecting the phone up with certain cables, it's a very picky thing. I'm updating the firmware on my phone too, so I'll see how it goes for me. I usually don't plug mine in though.
Old 9/17/10, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by yasuro
after my 4.1 update, steering controls work.
Originally Posted by Lancel
iPhone OS 4.1 added new Blutooth capabilities to the phone so now back/forward should work. Must have just been released finally. I thought they were supposed to make titles work over Blutooth too but maybe we'll have to wait on a SYNC update for that. I have some trouble with connecting the phone up with certain cables, it's a very picky thing. I'm updating the firmware on my phone too, so I'll see how it goes for me. I usually don't plug mine in though.

This + 1

You should update your software, once you do that, no need for the USB unless u need to charge your iphone. With the update steering wheel controls work perfecto!
Old 9/17/10, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by monkeystash
I agree. I've ran it that way for over a year without issues.
Old 9/17/10, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

The reason that I want to plug my iPhone in is to use voice commands.

Bluetooth works great, but you can't navigate the menus using voice.
Old 9/17/10, 04:48 PM
GT Member

Im trying to update sync but I keep getting errors left and right on syncmyride.com. Has anybody else been experiencing this?

Quick Reply: SYNC + iPhone = WTF