Sponsored By:

Switchback LEDs for front turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/12, 09:20 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Switchback LEDs for front turn signals

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
updated post w/ youtube vid. I'll see if I can take a vid of my own car as well.

There are 2 types from what I read - type 1 that alternates between yellow and white while signaling, type 2 that signals yellow but returns to white steady. (mine are type 2).
How was the install? I never looked into turn signal replacement on the stang before. What do I have to remove to get to it?

Do you have a link to the bulbs themselves? I just looked at the vleds site and sylvania, and it's calling for 194 part #. How did you get 3197 for the part number, knowing it will fit? Maybe I am missing something.

Looks great btw.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/22/12 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10/22/12, 09:38 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
How was the install? I never looked into turn signal replacement on the stang before. What do I have to remove to get to it?

Do you have a link to the bulbs themselves? I hope it ain't too pricey.

Looks great btw.
This looks like the kit JP's got on his badass ride!

http://www.hidguy.net/Ford/Mustang/2...ulbs?cPath=207
Old 10/23/12, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Do you have a link to the bulbs themselves? I just looked at the vleds site and sylvania, and it's calling for 194 part #. How did you get 3197 for the part number, knowing it will fit? Maybe I am missing something.

Looks great btw.
I think you may be considering the bulbs for the 'side marker' lights (the yellow park lights seperate from the headlight array). That is 194 (which I also replaced with white LEDs )

3157 refers to the amber bigger bulb directly to the right of the HID bulb in the housing. Install wasn't bad at all; Ford cars always have the easiest lights to replace, I didn't have to remove anything except the radiator cover.

The link MARZ (thanks dude!) is a good kit too but I personally got mine from V-LEDs:

http://www.v-leds.com/5K-TYPE-2-DUAL...14704-1-2.html
Old 10/23/12, 09:07 AM
I Have No Life

I think you may be considering the bulbs for the 'side marker' lights (the yellow park lights seperate from the headlight array). That is 194 (which I also replaced with white LEDs )

3157 refers to the amber bigger bulb directly to the right of the HID bulb in the housing. Install wasn't bad at all; Ford cars always have the easiest lights to replace, I didn't have to remove anything except the radiator cover.

The link MARZ (thanks dude!) is a good kit too but I personally got mine from V-LEDs:

http://www.v-leds.com/5K-TYPE-2-DUAL...14704-1-2.html
Thanks JP. That's exactly the one I am looking for. At 40 bucks, that's not bad. I might swing for those. How did you know that 3157 would fit the bulb base on our mustangs tho? That's what confused me... usually there's a fitment guide or something, but that's where I got confused with the 194 part #. So you're sure no other fitment piece is needed?

and no inline resistor or any other additions?

p.s. where's your vid in action?
Old 10/26/12, 04:38 PM
I Have No Life

Thanks for the kind words everyone. All your cars look awesome as well!

If I were to do anything else I'm thinking either a carbon fiber vinyl roof wrap and/or 2013 hockey stick Boss stripes..

They are straight 3157A (I believe) replacements. No fancy mods, inline resistors, wiring, etc needed (i Know some cars do - Fords being the awesome cars they are, don't).

Did it myself and still normal amber signal behavior. It is really one of my favorite mods.

Unfortunately don't have a video of my own car however this vid shows exactly how they function:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX1Prdj-H5w">YouTube Link</a>

They really work well and look like a million bucks. Loved the way the bulbs cleared the lens.
Jp, I just placed an order for the 3157 type 2... When I emailed them about a question though, they said I might need resistors though. Is it true you have yours on without resistors? Please say you didn't need them....
Old 10/26/12, 05:36 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine came tonight. Didn't get a chance to switch them yet, my hands are too large to get down where the bulb sockets are.
Old 10/26/12, 06:21 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
Mine came tonight. Didn't get a chance to switch them yet, my hands are too large to get down where the bulb sockets are.
Lol did you order it too Steve? No resistor right? How is install...hopefully straightforward by just removing the plastic cover similar to accessing the fog lights?
Old 10/26/12, 07:06 PM
GTR Member

Lol did you order it too Steve? No resistor right? How is install...hopefully straightforward by just removing the plastic cover similar to accessing the fog lights?

Yeah, I ordered a set the other night. They were in the mail when I got home from work today. I tried to put them in, but quickly realized the turn signals are tucked in the corners pretty tight, so you'll have to have some tiny hands to get the sockets out and replace the bulbs. I'm going to work on it again tomorrow morning when I have more time and patience.
Old 10/27/12, 05:01 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
Yeah, I ordered a set the other night. They were in the mail when I got home from work today. I tried to put them in, but quickly realized the turn signals are tucked in the corners pretty tight, so you'll have to have some tiny hands to get the sockets out and replace the bulbs. I'm going to work on it again tomorrow morning when I have more time and patience.
Uh oh... This might be similar to how to access the fog light bulbs. I need to whip out my ultra small hands again . So Steve you did NOT buy resistors, correct?

JP, how was the install process? Any tips or tricks?

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/27/12 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10/27/12, 10:40 AM
GTR Member

Uh oh... This might be similar to how to access the fog light bulbs. I need to whip out my ultra small hands again . So Steve you did NOT buy resistors, correct?

JP, how was the install process? Any tips or tricks?
Finished the install this morning. Not as tough as I thought after I spent some time looking it over.

Pull the splash guard above the radiator. On the driver's side, you may want to pull the 10mm bolt holding the airbox in place to gain room. On the passenger side, you can disconnect the black connector to get more access to the side marker socket. Check polarity before you put them back in, so keep your keys handy to unlock to test.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121027_123949.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  22.1 KB
Old 10/27/12, 05:47 PM
GTR Member

They seem pretty bright, I'll check them out later. They are 100% plug and play. No resistors needed.
Old 10/27/12, 09:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Overboost...where did you get your switcbacks from!? I was looking at teh ones off AM and then saw the ones on HID Guy.com

The AM ones are an Amber/White flash were the HID-Guy ones are only amber/off flash which I like better! The white is only on when you are not signaling. The AM ones look like the amber is not as bright as the white so it looks funny to me.

Here are the ones form HID guy website:

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 10/27/12 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10/28/12, 08:42 PM
GTR Member

Iowa sir.

Steve, how do like your vleds? Worth the $? Improvement over stock? Coolness factor?
I'm very happy with them. I looked at them tonight when I was moving cars around, they give the car a similar look to how the '13s function on the LED lights and side markers.
Old 10/30/12, 08:58 PM
I Have No Life

VLED switchbacks on Marilyn

UPDATED: with daytime vid, end of this post.

Wow, that's 2 mods in less than a week. We need to thank our wives more often... lol.

That being said, I received my VLED switchbacks today. I installed them in about 10 minutes or less. (Steve/Overboost, luckily I have small hands.) All I had to do was remove the radiator cover shroud, then the black connector before the signal lights (anyone know what that connector is for?), then voila disconnect the amber lights and swap them out. I guessed correctly on the polarity of one of them, then switched for the next one. Easy Peasy.

I must say, this is another one of my FAVORITE mods. They look so OEM. At 5000k temp, they are bright enough to be seen during the day and at night, without looking like 12000k uber blue/white ricey lights that you see on other cars when they go aftermarket. You know what I mean? These babies are perfect. No resistors either. Plug and play. Big kudos to VLEDs for making a great product. I might look into VLEDs for my foglights and rear plate lights. Anyone have any suggestions for these?

Anyways, here are the pics I took after I installed them after I came home from work, then a short video right after I installed them, then a video tonight out in the dark in driveway. (I had to edit my last video, because I tried turning on my HID's and Hoen Fogs to see how they would look with the VLEDs, but the camera washed it out...couldn't see squat...lol)

I will shoot a daytime video tomorrow and update this thread. I wonder how truly bright they will be in sunlight.

*JPMotorsport, thanks again for the recommendation

Name:  switchbackwhite.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:  switchbackamber.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  40.2 KB

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/31/12 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10/30/12, 09:03 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
those are pretty awesome!!!!
Old 10/30/12, 09:07 PM
GT Member

They look a lot better than I thought
Old 10/30/12, 09:15 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Xar
those are pretty awesome!!!!
thanks Chris... I love em.

Originally Posted by nighthawk283
They look a lot better than I thought
LOL... as opposed to what did you think they would be like?

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/31/12 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10/30/12, 09:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Are you going to make another vid with the headlights and foglights on?
Old 10/30/12, 09:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Switchbacks are freaking awesome!
Old 10/30/12, 09:35 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if I had a 12 I'd definitely go that route - the 13 LED running lights really work for me.

Quick Reply: Switchback LEDs for front turn signals