Sponsored By:

Suspension/Wheel Questions: Road Course Guys

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/12, 09:50 PM
TMS Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension/Wheel Questions: Road Course Guys

Hey Guys -

I'm currently waiting for my 2013 GT to be delivered and I have a few questions for those who road course their cars. This is my first Mustang and although I have "some" track time in these cars I don't have a lot. I drive in the advanced group and have extensively tracked everything from a GT3 RS to a '68 Charger but I'm curious to know what people have done to improve their cars handling over stock, but yet still retained their factory warranty.

My car is currently a track pack equipped GT, with the Recaros.

1. Has anyone installed the "MUSTANG GT COUPE HANDLING PACK (1 INCH DROP)" - Part #M-FR3-MGTA, and what are your opinions? Big improvement over stock, or mild?

2. Will this void your warranty even if the parts are dealer installed?

3. In regards to wheels, has everyone who tracks their cars kept the 19" Brembos or have some switched to 18's for better tire choices?

I'm not concerned about power upgrades as this car is plenty fast, again, my sole concern is handling.

Looking forward to any responses and thank you in advance.

Mike

Last edited by MrAngry; 7/29/12 at 10:21 PM.
Old 7/30/12, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MrAngry
Hey Guys -

I'm currently waiting for my 2013 GT to be delivered and I have a few questions for those who road course their cars. This is my first Mustang and although I have "some" track time in these cars I don't have a lot. I drive in the advanced group and have extensively tracked everything from a GT3 RS to a '68 Charger but I'm curious to know what people have done to improve their cars handling over stock, but yet still retained their factory warranty.

My car is currently a track pack equipped GT, with the Recaros.

1. Has anyone installed the "MUSTANG GT COUPE HANDLING PACK (1 INCH DROP)" - Part #M-FR3-MGTA, and what are your opinions? Big improvement over stock, or mild?

2. Will this void your warranty even if the parts are dealer installed?

3. In regards to wheels, has everyone who tracks their cars kept the 19" Brembos or have some switched to 18's for better tire choices?

I'm not concerned about power upgrades as this car is plenty fast, again, my sole concern is handling.

Looking forward to any responses and thank you in advance.

Mike

Mike the OEM Brembo wheels will be fine to track with. At sometime when you get serious for tracking you will want to upgrade to a wider wheel to support wider tires. There are more and more tires now available for 19" wheels depending on whether you want R compound or a regular street compound. If you want the latter there are plenty of good choices available now for 19" wheels. If you want the R compounds there are some good 19" choices but as you say there will be more of a selection for the 18" wheels.

The main issue I have with the Brembo wheels is they are only 9" wide (which really only support a 255 tire properly) and the weight of these wheels.

As far as the handling pack is concerned, the biggest improvement this kit will provide is from the shocks. As even with the TrackPak cars, shocks are still under-damped for a true track environment. The sway bars will control the way the car "rolls" into the corner. What you have to be careful when you are running lowering springs is that you don't take away suspension travel. I see the kit does offer new bumpstops so it looks like this is an effort to control suspension travel I don't know how this kit will affect this. If you truly want to track the car I would go with a dedicated CO kit from Ground Control or something of the same ilk.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 7/30/12 at 10:54 AM.
Old 7/30/12, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I have been running these cars on a track since 2005. I would recommend you get 18" wheels for more tire choices ... I personally run 17"; my 5Zigen 17x9 barely clear the Brembos (tires are 275/40R17) but they only weigh 18lbs ! I would recommend as a minimum to change the shocks (Koni "yellows" is my pick) and if you want the springs (Steeda Sports).
Old 7/30/12, 06:03 PM
TMS Editor

Dave / Martin - thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

For all others, any ideas what voids the warranty on these cars and what doesn't? So for instance if I do go with the kit from Ford would I still be in the parameters of the factory warranty?
Old 7/30/12, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

The others parts on the car won't be at risk of being voided of warranty because the shocks & springs have been replaced ...