2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

stretchy belt replacement on 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/21, 11:38 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
stretchy belt replacement on 5.0

I am not sure if this is the best place for this post, Mods please feel free to move it if you want to. I think most GT owners know that Ford uses a stretchy belt to drive the AC compressor. No doubt the factory loves them since it allows them to use two fewer parts. No need for either an idler pulley or a tensioner. GM also uses them. The Lisle tool Co. makes a special tool to remove and install them. It can also be done without the tool, but depending on how much room you have to work it can be a real PITA. Ford also has a TSB on replacing it with a conventional belt with a idler and a tensioner [ TSB # 12-8-14 ]. This was done as a possible fix for engine "ticks". The kit to do this is part # BR3Z-8620-DA. I am pretty sure this is the same set up Ford uses on the F150 pickups with the Coyote engine. I have a '14 GT with right at 82,000 miles and while the belts look good I decided to replace the stretchy belt with a conventional one since I felt that the stretchy belt might be troublesome to work with if any other work ever had to be done on the front of the engine. Oftentimes mechanics will simply cut the old belt off if it's not going to be reused in order to save time. Since I dislike destroying good parts I removed it. Doing it by yourself really is a major PITA. If you can have another person turn the engine over by hand from the top while you work the belt off from the bottom your life will be much better. You will need to remove the plastic aerodynamic covers under the car to gain access. Not a big deal, just 3 8MM screws and lots of 7mm ones. I used short lengths of wooden paint sticks to guide the belt off the compressor. Actually installing the kit isn't nearly as hard as removing the stretchy belt, assuming you don't cut it. They don't tell you which way to install the idler pulley and it's not marked front or back so you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. I installed it with the thicker lip facing out and so far it seems to track just fine. For some reason they also failed to include the correct bolt for the idler in the kit and you'll have to order it separately. The part # is W707288-S437. The tensioner comes with the correct bolt. Go figure? The tensioner has a square 3/8 hole on the front so you can use a 3/8 drive ratchet to operate the tensioner for belt removal and replacement. Now I have a new belt and much easier future replacement or access to the timing cover. A fair amount of work, but worth it to me.