2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Steeda tune/SCT flash left car unable to start

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/11 | 09:47 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
That could be the source of the problem, it was written for a computer with the wrong code. It's always a good idea to get it directly from the computer itself by using a SCT tuner, I think it's a 5 or 6 digit code by doing it that way instead of the 4 on the sticker. It's also a good idea to check it that way before and after going to the dealer for service in case they update it without you knowing.
Return computer to stock before going to dealer and write down computer code.

After getting car back from dealer, check code again to see if it matches the code you had before.

If it matches, re-load your tune. If not, give new code to Steeda and have them update it.

You might already know this, but I'm repeating it for people unaware of this procedure.
Good points there, for sure.

I'm guessing the end user has no way of altering that processor code?
Old 2/19/11 | 10:18 AM
BOSS Member

Only Ford has the ability to alter the base code. It's basically the firmware of the PCM.
Old 2/19/11 | 10:55 AM
GTR Member

So, if the car has no strategy loaded into it, that could be the problem? I believe the SCT still can pull that up.
Old 2/19/11 | 11:40 AM
BOSS Member

If the tune was written for the wrong PCM code then it would not have loaded completly. I believe your stock tune is still in the tuner, the problem is when the new tune was loaded it it couldn't finish since some tables didn't match up. So now, the car doesn't have the correct codes to start. And, with an incorrect PCM the tuner cannot pull the updated tune out in order to put the stock one back in.

So if that is the problem (written for wrong PCM code) the car is dead in the water unless you get help from SCT/Steeda or the dealer.
Old 2/19/11 | 01:14 PM
Cobra Member

did you give them the correct ECU code?
Old 2/19/11 | 01:20 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT
did you give them the correct ECU code?
Yes. I would hope it was programmed correctly, but that's up in the air right now.
Old 2/19/11 | 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

This is the stuff that makes me wary of going this route with my GT, best of luck getting things going again. I will definitely be following this thread to see how it gets resolved
Old 2/19/11 | 02:10 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Grifftech
This is the stuff that makes me wary of going this route with my GT, best of luck getting things going again. I will definitely be following this thread to see how it gets resolved
I'm sure once I talk to SCT this will get resolved quickly. I'm honestly not mad about the situation, just bummed. I wouldn't let this turn you away from doing a tune. You'll see plenty of positive stories about tunes, and very few issues like this.
Old 2/19/11 | 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Overboost
I'm sure once I talk to SCT this will get resolved quickly. I'm honestly not mad about the situation, just bummed. I wouldn't let this turn you away from doing a tune. You'll see plenty of positive stories about tunes, and very few issues like this.
Well, on the brightside, this kind of thing only happens to a few cars out of a hundred.

So on behalf of myself and 95 other Mustang owners, thank you for taking a bullet for the team ...

.... I keeed, I keeed!
Old 2/19/11 | 03:46 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Well, on the brightside, this kind of thing only happens to a few cars out of a hundred.

So on behalf of myself and 95 other Mustang owners, thank you for taking a bullet for the team ...

.... I keeed, I keeed!
LOL true story. I'm sure it's not a huge deal once I get in contact with them.

Quick update, I did get ahold of the SCT guy on AFM. I sent him the files and he's looking at them. There is still hope at this point I'll be running before Monday.
Old 2/19/11 | 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL true story. I'm sure it's not a huge deal once I get in contact with them.

Quick update, I did get ahold of the SCT guy on AFM. I sent him the files and he's looking at them. There is still hope at this point I'll be running before Monday.
Please keep us updated on your situation!

I have to say you seem to be taking this very well.I've been on the fence about a tune & this doesn't help LOL.The new STEEDA tune is what I'm interested in but if I did the tune & the car freaked out & wouldn't start I'd be a TOTAL WRECK!

If I'm understanding this correctly when recieving the TUNER you should & can check the computer code to be sure it matches the car b4 you download the TUNE.CORRECT?
Old 2/19/11 | 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Unhook the battery and wait ten minutes or so (think it was that long). Hook it back up and try your stock loading again.
Old 2/19/11 | 06:42 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by knk11stang

I have to say you seem to be taking this very well.I've been on the fence about a tune & this doesn't help LOL.The new STEEDA tune is what I'm interested in but if I did the tune & the car freaked out & wouldn't start I'd be a TOTAL WRECK!

If I'm understanding this correctly when recieving the TUNER you should & can check the computer code to be sure it matches the car b4 you download the TUNE.CORRECT?
I certainly will. I'm convinced that the PCM isn't shot, so it's just a matter of time before we're back and running again. I'm not blaming anyone, and, luckily, it's not a major hurdle for me.
Old 2/19/11 | 07:15 PM
GTR Member

Update - car is back up and running at 9:05p today. What a relief.

If this happens to you, you need to contact SCT and have them create a recovery file. I had to send them the files from the tuner itself, along with the tuner serial number and (I believe) my processor code. Mike R. from SCT was able to help me today, and very quickly had me a recovery file. You simply load that on the tuner, then flash the car. Once that was done, she was brought back to life, no issues to report.
Old 2/19/11 | 07:29 PM
BOSS Member

Originally Posted by knk11stang

Correct. Except that the one in the PCM will be a 5-6 digit number versus the 4 digit one on the sticker. You can always trust the PCM one to be right, there is no way it can't be. You can also use someone else's tuner to get your code if you want to be sure before you order it. That way there is no guessing. To be honest I would never trust the sticker on the car as a dealer may update your PCM without you knowing when you take it in or before you bought it. Common practice is to check and update all cars before a person takes delivery of a new car. I have never once seen a dealer put a new/updated sticker on one however.
Old 2/19/11 | 07:30 PM
BOSS Member

If this happens to you, you need to contact SCT and have them create a recovery file. I had to send them the files from the tuner itself, along with the tuner serial number and (I believe) my processor code. Mike R. from SCT was able to help me today, and very quickly had me a recovery file. You simply load that on the tuner, then flash the car. Once that was done, she was brought back to life, no issues to report.
So what was the problem? User error?
Old 2/19/11 | 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

glad to hear... you reflash it to ur custom tune? how do you like it if you did..
Old 2/19/11 | 07:58 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
So what was the problem? User error?
Nope. To quote Mike from SCT:
Good deal. The processor code was fine in this case. It just looks like some of the things that were changed in the tune caused the no start. I would definitely not flash the car until you at least have them look over their file.
Originally Posted by ShaneGT
glad to hear... you reflash it to ur custom tune? how do you like it if you did..
No, I was told to contact Steeda and have my tune reviewed to make sure this doesn't happen again. If it does, I'll have to load the recovery file and do what I did tonight to get it back up and running.

All in all, it's not a huge worry to go through what I did. Just make sure you do it when you can get support back quickly.
Old 2/19/11 | 08:02 PM
GTR Member

Well, you lucked out getting someone to do this for you on a Saturday.

Aren't you glad I pointed you in the right direction?
Old 2/19/11 | 08:03 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Well, you lucked out getting someone to do this for you on a Saturday.

Aren't you glad I pointed you in the right direction?
Yeah, I know. Big sigh of relief when he contacted me this afternoon. Thanks again for showing me that thread. Now we've got this info over here now.

Quick Reply: Steeda tune/SCT flash left car unable to start