Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Steeda CAI / Tune 15rwhp - Magazine Test

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/10, 01:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steeda CAI / Tune 15rwhp - Magazine Test

15 hp for a 739$ cai and tune! 2011 Ford Mustang GT Steeda Ultimate Induction Pak - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...pak/index.html

Last edited by RedCandy5.0; 10/22/10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10/22/10, 01:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello fellow NY,er!!
Old 10/22/10, 01:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mach1mania
Hello fellow NY,er!!
Hey what part of NY you from?
Old 10/22/10, 02:22 PM
GTR Member

Hmm...

That's strange that they didn't see better numbers than that after all previous reports to the contrary.

Maybe it would do better with a true custom tune.
Old 10/22/10, 02:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the FRPP power upgrade pack for the 2011 5.0 claims 16 HP:

"Approximate peak increase of 16 hp / 7 lb-ft on 93 octane fuel
Up to 60 lb-ft increase at 1500 rpm!"

...which seems more than comparable to what the Steeda intake tune provides (thought I'd read "44 HP" somewhere for that). On top of that, it's 'only' $410.

What's the deal?

Here's the link to teh FRPP power upgrade pack:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12346
Old 10/22/10, 02:42 PM
GTR Member

SteedaGus, chime in with your thoughts.
Old 10/22/10, 05:35 PM
Banned

15 to 20 hp with a CAI and a tune is about all you're going to get on average. There's only so much a tune is going to do. If you want more hp than that you'll have to wait for things like aftermarket heads or superchargers.
Old 10/22/10, 05:40 PM
Cobra R Member

InbeforeSteedaGus
Old 10/22/10, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

If the Steeda CAI /Tune is 15 HP, that of course would be peak numbers. I've not seen a dyno chart, but whatever gains were down low were in the right place, it's a different car !!!!!!!
Old 10/22/10, 06:54 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by dragstart
If the Steeda CAI /Tune is 15 HP, that of course would be peak numbers. I've not seen a dyno chart, but whatever gains were down low were in the right place, it's a different car !!!!!!!
According to the chart in the magazine the max was 15 HP across the range although they didn't show it way down at low rpm.
Old 10/23/10, 12:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

The numbers don't make any sense. 3 lbs/ft of tq at 2500 rpm does not equal 7 hp for example. I'm I missing something?
Old 10/25/10, 06:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Hey what part of NY you from?
Im from Buffalo, NY
Old 10/25/10, 07:02 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Around 15 wheel horsepower with a c.a.i. and a tune is all you will get. A lot of c.a.i. makers inflate their horsepower numbers to increase sells.
Old 10/25/10, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
SteedaGus, chime in with your thoughts.
I contacted the actual owner of the car on another forum and asked if he had access to datalog the car to PM me.

He stated in another thread they were having problems with the dyno and tune, but the final number was still only 19hp over stock.

He is a bit limited by california 91 octane fuel, but I am pretty sure there is more power to be had there. Won't know for sure though unless he can get us a datalog.
Old 10/25/10, 11:21 AM
GTR Member

While I'm sure the tune might have a little bit left, there's another point that I've yet to read in a lot of these posts about tunes. Having more power is great, and usually the primary reason that we as enthusiasts look into tuning, but the other, and more important issue IMO, is improving the drivability of the vehicle.

Typically, a tune will do things like alter shift points (on an auto), remove skip shift, remove any delay from the throttle-by-wire system, and allow the throttle to open on a more linear scale (some vehicles won't go to 100% throttle as a safety precaution). Tunes extract and change the dynamics of the engine. Several vehicles I've personally driven with and without tunes feel TOTALLY different, and often times the tune alone, even with modest power gains, feels and performs like it has much more.

Again, not saying this tune was the "best", but it seems like many people on here fail to look at the bigger picture and all of the gains to be had from tuning a vehicle.
Old 10/25/10, 11:25 AM
Cobra Member

You are absolutely right. They were using our canned tune right out of the tuner. We have custom tunes that make additional changes that make them feel different from the standard tune that comes in the tuner.
Old 10/25/10, 01:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Overboost
While I'm sure the tune might have a little bit left, there's another point that I've yet to read in a lot of these posts about tunes. Having more power is great, and usually the primary reason that we as enthusiasts look into tuning, but the other, and more important issue IMO, is improving the drivability of the vehicle.

Typically, a tune will do things like alter shift points (on an auto), remove skip shift, remove any delay from the throttle-by-wire system, and allow the throttle to open on a more linear scale (some vehicles won't go to 100% throttle as a safety precaution). Tunes extract and change the dynamics of the engine. Several vehicles I've personally driven with and without tunes feel TOTALLY different, and often times the tune alone, even with modest power gains, feels and performs like it has much more.

Again, not saying this tune was the "best", but it seems like many people on here fail to look at the bigger picture and all of the gains to be had from tuning a vehicle.
Totally agree with you on that Steve, there's more to these tunes than just horsepower increase, i for one found that my car is a totally different beast since i got the custom tune from Steeda. Power is available throughout all the power band, down low too. Like i said, i feel like all ponies are unleashing now. Hearing that big air cone sucking in air when flooring it is......PRICELESS.
Old 10/29/10, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

Here's something else i wanted to add.

While there should be a bit more measured power there, as I've mentioned in other threads these cars when you dyno them they exhibit pretty obvious torque limiting through the drive by wire system most of the time. But there are times they wont exhibit this behavior on the dyno, but they still will do it on the street and track.

Check out this post here where someone independently verifies my comments on the subject: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...t=45395&page=2

This torque limiting is part of the reason you see some huge gains on 2011 GT on the dyno with our setup. This is something we didnt talk about back when we first started publishing numbers though because solving this power limiting issue was one of our secrets to making big power and performance gains.

The biggest issue with the 5.0 article linked is they don't show the actual dyno graph. It would be pretty easy to tell just from the stock dyno graph whether torque limiting was taking place during the stock run. If no torque limiting was being measured that will give you a smaller measured dyno gain. Thats misleading because the car will still perform torque limiting on the street and on the track. Cars that don't show the torque limiting on the dyno will see the smallest "dyno" gains. However they still pick up at least 1/2 a second or more in the 1/4 mile in real world testing.

If anyone gets or already has January issue of 5.0 Mustang. Check out page 92, the dyno graph for the BBK long tube header test. There is a clear as day example of torque limiting taking place on the stock calibration which hurt the numbers on that test cause everything was done on the stock calibration.

The car in question that only gained 19 measured horsepower for this test, I am quite certain it was not showing torque limiting on the dyno but would still have done it on the street and track. It should have still easily picked up at least a 1/2 second and 3 mph in 1/4 mile performance, which is a lot more than only 19hp would suggest you would gain.
Old 10/29/10, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

How much does that tune make with the hood closed?
Old 11/1/10, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

You cant simulate air coming into the airbox from the cold air scoop on the dyno. Shop fans will never push the kind of air you need for that. So dynoing with the hood open is the only way to get the approximate temperatures you would have when you are actually moving on the street/track.

Dynoing the car with the hood closed would produce higher underhood air temperatures which could negative affect the test and also be incorrect in terms of approximating the actual air charge temperatures when the car is moving and at wide open throttle.

Quick Reply: Steeda CAI / Tune 15rwhp - Magazine Test