Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Squeak after Corsa axle back install

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/10, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeak after Corsa axle back install

I installed a Corsa axle back last week. I have noticed a loud squeak coming from the rear of the car ever since the install. It happens mostly on rough roads or on the freeway. I went over and double and triple checked everything. Checked the hangers, panhard bar, clamps, clearance. I tore apart the entire trunk. Nothing much in there that would cause a squeak. I'm wondering if maybe the sound is coming from the muffler. You can hear it from the outside. Could that be a bad muffler I got?
Old 9/6/10, 05:13 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I think it could (a guess) be the rubber hangers. Spray them down real good with silicone.
Old 9/6/10, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by David Young
I think it could (a guess) be the rubber hangers. Spray them down real good with silicone.
Don't think that's it. It's a metallic squeak and sometimes a rattle. I'll try it anyway though, thanks.
Old 9/6/10, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a horrible rattle under my car shortly after adding a Bassani cat back & x-pipe. It turned out to be one of the metal name tags they had spot welded to it.
Old 9/6/10, 07:17 PM
GT Member

Check the drivers side hanger closest to your driver seat. You will notice that when the exhaust heats up the hanger makes contact the hanger mount and produces a squeaking sound. You will have to heat the hanger up and bend it away from the mount...when its cold it doesn't touch it. it only happens when the exhaust is hot.
Old 9/6/10, 08:44 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also check the hanger rod on the rear of the mufflers, usually the drivers side will be the culprit. Like stated above when the exhaust heats it expands. The hanger rod will rub and bang on the backside of the bumper.
If you get under the car you'll be able to see which one is really close to the bumper and even be able to see where the rod has rubbed. Then remove the offending muffler and cut a little of the hanger rod.
Old 9/6/10, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

I checked the hangers. I see no place where they would hit. The front 2 hangers have nothing close to them to hit. The rear hanger is sideways and doesn't appear to hit anything.

The only thing left to do is remove the Corsa system and go back to stock. See if it continues.

Last edited by SuperSugeKnight; 9/6/10 at 08:59 PM.
Old 9/7/10, 09:44 AM
GT Member

When I had my Corsa axlebacks installed, I had a very similar issue. First off, the guys who initially installed it did a terrible job centerizing the tips with the bumper holes and they were actually rubbing against the bumper. During my drive home, not only did I hear rattling from the tips hitting the body but I also heard a squeak whenever I hit the slightest bump. I jacked the car up and re-adjusted the tips to be centered figuring it would fix the problem. The body rattling was reduced (not eliminated) and then I still heard a squeaky noise after hitting bumps. I looked up and down the exhaust and everything was tightly bolted and nothing was loose. So after much frustration, I took the car to an actual performance exhaust shop (should've went there in the first place) and they had the car up on the lift and showed me that the mufflers attached to the rubber grommets are actually hitting the body and one of the bolts attaching the end of the muffler pipe was hitting some other metal part because it was so long. So he slightly lowered the mufflers by putting in different clamps and cut the extra on the bolt. Now my exhaust sounds the way it should.
Old 9/7/10, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WildPony619
When I had my Corsa axlebacks installed, I had a very similar issue. First off, the guys who initially installed it did a terrible job centerizing the tips with the bumper holes and they were actually rubbing against the bumper. During my drive home, not only did I hear rattling from the tips hitting the body but I also heard a squeak whenever I hit the slightest bump. I jacked the car up and re-adjusted the tips to be centered figuring it would fix the problem. The body rattling was reduced (not eliminated) and then I still heard a squeaky noise after hitting bumps. I looked up and down the exhaust and everything was tightly bolted and nothing was loose. So after much frustration, I took the car to an actual performance exhaust shop (should've went there in the first place) and they had the car up on the lift and showed me that the mufflers attached to the rubber grommets are actually hitting the body and one of the bolts attaching the end of the muffler pipe was hitting some other metal part because it was so long. So he slightly lowered the mufflers by putting in different clamps and cut the extra on the bolt. Now my exhaust sounds the way it should.
Cool. I guess I'll be taking it to the shop then. Oh well. I knew I should of had it professionally done.
Old 9/10/10, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update:

I had the mufflers too far back. The shop moved the mufflers forward because it was rubbing on the bottom of the hanger.
Old 9/10/10, 01:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Update:

I had the mufflers too far back. The shop moved the mufflers forward because it was rubbing on the bottom of the hanger.
The muffler shop told me it has to do with the stainless steel expanding when it heats up during break in. If this is true, this problem won't be exclusive to the Corsa exhaust. SuperSugeKnight, did you also get the Corsa X-Pipe as well? If you haven't and plan to, it apparently went in super easy for the first shop I sent it to and it didn't need any tweaking afterwards. I hope you enjoy your exhaust even more now that it is fixed.
Old 9/10/10, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WildPony619
The muffler shop told me it has to do with the stainless steel expanding when it heats up during break in. If this is true, this problem won't be exclusive to the Corsa exhaust. SuperSugeKnight, did you also get the Corsa X-Pipe as well? If you haven't and plan to, it apparently went in super easy for the first shop I sent it to and it didn't need any tweaking afterwards. I hope you enjoy your exhaust even more now that it is fixed.
They told me the exact same thing. It's the stainless steel expanding when it gets hot. It was rubbing right on the bottom of the hanger. They showed me where it rubbed the rubber off and was hitting the metal inside of the hanger.

So some advice to those out there. Make sure you have 1/2 inch clearance between the muffler hanger and the rubber hanger on the body.

I didn't get the x pipe. I don't plan to. The cops in my area are strict when it comes to sound. I've gotten a ticket before in my last Mustang. I was running a Bassani X pipe and cat back.