2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sound Quality of Sirius?

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/10, 02:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FM and USB sound way better than Sirius in my 2010 ...
Old 7/24/10, 02:59 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
fm doest have Howard or real versons of songs.
Old 7/24/10, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang

No more Howard, then no more Sirius for me...
Old 7/24/10, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
agreed as well. I'm not knocking the programming of sirius. I'll keep it past the trial just because of the variety. But when I want to hear a high quality sounding song, I'll pop in the USB or tune into my local HD FM rock station. The sound quality just blows Sirius out of the water. Like what was stated before, when you're compressing music, you're going to sacrifice richness...just just aint gonna get more when you're receiving less.

Extremely high quality digital processing systems can make Sirius sound better. What they do is literally use software or analogs to artificially add frequency (or data) to make the sound better. But again, when dealing with a CD or FM radio station, you don't have that immediate disadvantage out of the box since data isn't being lost from compression.

So anyway it's sliced or diced, an FM station, a CD or the USB with a high quality MP3 are far superior in terms of quality.
Old 7/24/10, 03:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
In addition to the sound being sub-par, my complaint is it cuts out randomly, usually right in the middle of me rockin' out to the 1st good song I was able to find in the last 10 minutes out of the 200 channels they have. Inconsiderate Sirius Bastards! (oops wrong thread!)
Same here. The frequent cut outs surprise me. You'd think I was changing cell towers. LOL

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/24/10 at 03:17 PM.
Old 7/24/10, 04:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Where I am at we have 1 good Rock station, and then I have Sirius. Also after 40+ years of listing to Rock music, driving trucks and working around heavy equipment I am a little Deaf, so I do not notice the lack in the high, low and background notes from the compression as most would.
So in my car, Sirius sounds awesome. Plus with Sirius, I will never have to search out radio Stations on long trips and I never have to miss a Nascar race.
And I love listening to Fox news on the way to work in the morning
That and the 2010 did not have HD radio
Old 7/24/10, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know I think the stereos in the new Mustangs must suck.
I have actually listened to a Shaker 500 a few years ago and wasn't overly thrilled.
I've heard of many here complain that the stereos in Mustangs (and some other Fords) are not very good quality sound.

Sirius in my BMW with the Logic 7 sound system rocked. It was clear and could be turned up so loud and sound so nice it would hurt your ears. I'd switch over to my Ipod and it didn't sound any better/louder.
Old 7/24/10, 08:34 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Driver72
I don't know I think the stereos in the new Mustangs must suck.
I have actually listened to a Shaker 500 a few years ago and wasn't overly thrilled.
Try adjusting the settings. Mine 500 sounds awesome.
Some music styles I have to dial back bass, some styles I have to dial back treble, so there is way beyond full range of control. And I prefer the 'Rear Seat' setting.
Old 7/24/10, 09:44 PM
V6 Member

The combo of the Shaker 500 and Sirius Satellite Radio has been fine with me. I guess, my hearing isn't what it used to be.
The interruption of signal isn't really a concern here in Arizona. The 'trees' aren't much of a bother. Palms and cacti usually don't cover the road enough to block any signal. The only overpasses are on the Interstate, so I've been very happy with satellite radio, so far.
I won't tell you what it was like driving across Florida in the mid-sixties, in a '54 Chevy, with only a AM Radio for entertainment. You'd lose the signal after twenty miles or so, and have to start searching the dial again...manually, slowly, so you wouldn't blow past some far away station that was playing a pretty good song. You'd spend half the song trying to clear up the reception...only to lose it in a hiss of static!! Hmmph, I said I wouldn't tell you, but I guess I did.
Wish I could make that run now, in my '11GT, with the Satellite Radio!
Old 7/24/10, 09:47 PM
GT Member

before 2010, i remember people saying swapping out the head unit on a shaker system made a world of difference in quality. it sucks that this new center stack is making it difficult for aftermarket products though.
Old 7/25/10, 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

The only reason I keep Sirius is Howard, Sports talk and Fox News. Can't listen to the music much because of the lifeless sound quality.
Old 7/25/10, 07:04 AM
Cobra R Member

fm doest have Howard
Wow, good selling point for FM, AFAIC.
Old 7/25/10, 09:14 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I have hearing loss (military and old age lol!!!). I've listened to only Sirius in my cars since 2007. Its not as good (sound quality) as a c.d. but i can't handle all the talking and b.s. on the local f.m. stations.
Old 7/25/10, 09:23 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like howard stern. I like hearing songs as the artist wished me to hear the songs. I am an adult and sometimes I like to hear things that are not PG or PC. I hate hearing edited things. I hate edited books, music, talk radio and movies. As a grown man I can make my own choices. If something makes me angry I can turn it off or change it. I do not Need the weak sheltered part of the chain telling everyone what to do.

The world should not be covered in bubble wrap and all things non disney banned. If you do not like a movie stand up and walk out and tell yourself "wow I did not like that movie". Do not write a letter or cry about it because your own legs brought you into that movie.

and who likes listening to ads?

Last edited by Flagstang; 7/25/10 at 09:40 AM.
Old 7/25/10, 10:31 AM

I like howard stern. I like hearing songs as the artist wished me to hear the songs. I am an adult and sometimes I like to hear things that are not PG or PC. I hate hearing edited things. I hate edited books, music, talk radio and movies. As a grown man I can make my own choices. If something makes me angry I can turn it off or change it. I do not Need the weak sheltered part of the chain telling everyone what to do.

The world should not be covered in bubble wrap and all things non disney banned. If you do not like a movie stand up and walk out and tell yourself "wow I did not like that movie". Do not write a letter or cry about it because your own legs brought you into that movie.

Awesome post in general.

Editing of any form sucks!!!
Old 7/25/10, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all that 100%...and great points. Another reason why I do like Sirius.

I still hate the sound quality of Sirius though.
Old 7/25/10, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well stated.
Old 7/25/10, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StGry11
The combo of the Shaker 500 and Sirius Satellite Radio has been fine with me. I guess, my hearing isn't what it used to be.
The interruption of signal isn't really a concern here in Arizona. The 'trees' aren't much of a bother. Palms and cacti usually don't cover the road enough to block any signal. The only overpasses are on the Interstate, so I've been very happy with satellite radio, so far.
I won't tell you what it was like driving across Florida in the mid-sixties, in a '54 Chevy, with only a AM Radio for entertainment. You'd lose the signal after twenty miles or so, and have to start searching the dial again...manually, slowly, so you wouldn't blow past some far away station that was playing a pretty good song. You'd spend half the song trying to clear up the reception...only to lose it in a hiss of static!! Hmmph, I said I wouldn't tell you, but I guess I did.
Wish I could make that run now, in my '11GT, with the Satellite Radio!
Yup.....It's all relative. Compared to my 65 Lemans Conv. with my 8-trac. , my Sirius sounds pretty **** good
Old 7/25/10, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bingo!
And to the people who stated if Howard leaves Sirius they'd leave Sirius.
Though Howard is great sometimes, there is so much more to Sirius than him.
F all the jibber jabber DJ's do, especially in the a.m. and screw all the ads.
Nothing sucks more than listening to FM and switching between 5-6 stations and they ALL have commercials on.
That's NEVER a problem on ANY music station on Sirius.
Even if the sound quality is a bit worse than CD's, Sirius just kicks butt, period.

Last edited by Driver72; 7/25/10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 7/25/10, 08:49 PM
GT Member

I have three stations I really listen to on the FM dial right now. The straight classic rock station. The "oldies station" (they play stuff from the 80s now...) and the "60s, 70s, and 80s" station. On a recent trip in my mom's car I found about 8 stations I would preprogram. (How many presets on the Shaker 500?) The best part about it was that I love music and have lots of different tastes. There were a few niche stations which were perfect for me and played stuff I never hear on the radio. Plus, they played stuff from bands I know but either didn't recognize the song or thought, "I know this but never hear it on the radio!" I swear every band I know is limited to about four songs which they'll play on my standard FM stations. FM is too bland and Sirius was great.

Quick Reply: Sound Quality of Sirius?