Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sorry guys, I had to.

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/10, 03:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Sorry guys, I had to.

I know, I know we've been through this a thousand times but...

I went to Westway Ford here in Irving and test drove a 2011 GT, 6MT, 400A/Blk today.

http://www.westwayford.com/new/Ford/...8eae1d2792.htm

Alright I know we have beaten this horse to death but I feel as though some peoples reviews need some clarification/justification.

First off, seat of the pants feel in this car is a LIAR! The car doesn't feel all that fast, many may not FEEL impressed.
Reason: The car is much more composed, confident and nimble. It feels nothing like a muscle car anymore.
Is the car fast? Why yes, it's very quick and feels unlike any American offering that I have ever test driven. It legitimately feels not like a violent upheaval of power but a silken delivery of constant power. The torque is not overwhelming, it feels so different that I would no longer classify it as in the same class as the 4.6 or even 6.0/6.2. Just so different.

For this reason I say 2010 owners, congratulations, you may very well have the last "muscle car" feeling Mustangs. I also say that you guys are missing a lot with the new engine, but the car is so much different that the 2010 is a great car in its own right and feels great too, you are not missing anything in the fun factor I don't feel. It's just a different car.

Once I smashed on the pedal, only a little, threw the rear out about 3-5 inches to the left, then again in 2nd, I was blown away, I knew how much power was going to the ground but the chassis said "What now *****?! Is that all?" So yes an incredibly confident car.

Second: Sound, the new engine makes an incredible sound!!! OUTSIDE.
The exhaust stock, sounded really good. With the windows up, radio off, I barely heard anything from the exhaust note. That being said, it will make Mercedes think again about how quiet they are making their uber sedans.
Get a new exhaust if you really need that sound, I probably will but man for commuting, that cabin is whisper quiet. Unfortunately in the 2010, shifting was so easy because of the sounds the exhaust made in and out, that it was almost not even a thought process. Like your ear just said ok, rpm tone = shift. I felt like such a retard almost having to look down at the tach to make sure I was in need of a gear change. (Oh god, let the comments commence)
When I stopped and opened the door and reved the engine, very very very sweet!

Third: EPAS, like steering a Camry but with American aircraft grade parts. I didn't know what to do when the steering was so **** linear I thought I was driving a cloud. I still felt the road, but this time it didn't argue back. I was grateful actually that it was so light and confident at the same time, like a lineman ballerina.

Fourth: The clutch, holy Christ is it light. I don't know about it sticking, I didn't get to drive it that much. Very feather weight. Did it bother me, nope, I always thought vehicles could use a lighter clutch these days. I like the 2010's also and would have liked it either way.

Overall it seems like the theme of the new car is light and nimble. The engine feels light and revs quick, the car handles well and steering feels like a dream, with shifting made easy although I felt like an idiot when I hardly ever took in out of 5th on the highway. With 3.31 gears you just mentally stop at 5th gear. 6th is certainly an overdrive down low in the rpm range, that is for sure. I don't know what to say about the great gear debate. They all do their thing differently and if you are a commuter then get the 3.31 and don't look back. If you feel aggressive on the highway just drop it into 5th and let it ride. The car in every way just felt super light and made my Accord and 335i feel like pigs.

That said, it's just a different experience than any Mustang I have driven, me, persoanlly, I don't know everything about everything so take what you will. Also, I still love the heavy feel and powerful movements my 335i performs, like it's meant to be driven. The Mustang just does the same thing but does it in a very different ways. I love the new Mustang, but gladly I can say it only adds a new breed to the stable, not blow the others away. It can repectfully be put inside with the other steed to compliment the herd.

These are the quick things I could think of. My test drive was short and sweet so I only got to savor the flavor for so long. Sorry if I am lacking some things I am trying to be quick as I have many things to do today. I will try to update later what other things I remembered. Take it easy everyone!
Old 5/28/10, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
If I could have gotten a 2010 with the Brembo Pkg, I would have....
Old 5/28/10, 03:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Off topic, but I love that dealer's iPhone site. It works great! I wish more dealers would do that...
Old 5/28/10, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent write up!!
Old 5/28/10, 04:11 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was looking at other cars that dealer has, and they list a 2011 GT with 3.15 gears...what's that about???

http://www.westwayford.com/new/Ford/...8e69940921.htm linkage to show i'm not crazy. well, i'm crazy, but i'm right. click on the window sticker
Old 5/28/10, 04:23 PM
GT Member

All A6 Mustang GTs have a 3.15 rear gear.
Old 5/28/10, 04:26 PM
V6 Member

315 Limited slip is standard with the 6spd Auto trans!
Old 5/28/10, 04:28 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how does the 2011 interior refinement compare to your 335i?
Old 5/28/10, 04:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'd say the Ford is getting there, but it's still 0.5-1 notch below BMW/Audi levels. Which, at the price point, is perfectly fine with me...
Old 5/28/10, 04:38 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'd say the Ford is getting there, but it's still 0.5-1 notch below BMW/Audi levels. Which, at the price point, is perfectly fine with me...
Yeah its insane that you could even make the argument. On a side note I find Audi interiors > BMW but that thats just cuz I thinkt the Audis are laid out a little cleaner...
Old 5/28/10, 05:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I'd say the Audis are more 'industrial' and mechanical looking, while BMWs have gotten more natural and organic looking. It's hard to say which style I prefer, but the switchgear in the Audis tend to feel more substantial/heavy. The BMW automatic shifter and electronic parking brake are some of the worst designed controls I've ever operated. They feel like complete crap and are confusing as hell to operate. OTOH, I have driven an RS4, and that was one of the nicest driving cars I have ever driven. If they offered the Avant here, I would poor every last cent I had to get one. It's perfection. 400+hp V8, 6spd Manual, AWD and wagon versatility. If I had to own one car, I think that would be it. Although, when electronic stuff breaks out of warranty, it is EXPENSIVE.
Old 5/28/10, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Off topic, but I love that dealer's iPhone site. It works great! I wish more dealers would do that...
Boo to the iphone Evo 4G all day now back to business
Old 5/28/10, 05:19 PM
MOTM Committee Member

No kiddin. I drove my friends A4 last week and I really liked the way it handled, but EVERYTHING was electronic in there. Even the with starting the car you 'push' the key in you don't twist it. It was weird lol
Old 5/28/10, 05:25 PM
Cobra R Member

How long did you test drive for?

Do you or have you owned a 2010 mustang?
Old 5/28/10, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
how does the 2011 interior refinement compare to your 335i?
I got rid of my 335 earlier this year. I test drove a 2010 GT with the upgraded interior and I have to say I like the mustang better. The BMW has good quality materials but it is BORING to look at in my opinion. I did like the outward visibility of the BMW more though. The mustang windshield is a lot more raked.
Old 5/28/10, 05:35 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by markski74
I got rid of my 335 earlier this year. I test drove a 2010 GT with the upgraded interior and I have to say I like the mustang better. The BMW has good quality materials but it is BORING to look at in my opinion. I did like the outward visibility of the BMW more though. The mustang windshield is a lot more raked.
roger that, I've been in several 3 series cars and I feel the same way

Last edited by stangfoeva; 5/28/10 at 05:42 PM.
Old 5/28/10, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is an interesting review. I'm still waiting to drive one.

If I feel this way when I test drive one I will look for either an 03-04 Cobra or an 2009 GT.

When I test drove the '10 when it came out it felt alot more refined then my current 07. The interior is a vast improvment over the 1st gen. S197s but if the feel of the new engine doesn't make it feel like a muscle car then they are going down a more european path then many enthusiast would like them to.

Either way good job Ford!
Old 5/28/10, 07:39 PM
Cobra Member

Good review, Automagically! Thanks. It sounds like Ford needs to make that engine intake sound tube a little louder and pipe in a little exhaust music, too. I expect we'll see a lot of 2011 drivers on the road with the windows down.
Old 5/28/10, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice writeup!
Old 5/28/10, 09:58 PM

Really enjoyed your review - much more insightful than the various magazine reviews I've read. If this car is too quiet with the windows up but still emits a nice rumble when they're rolled down, this won't be a problem for me.
I'd love to hear more of your opinions when you get a chance to post again (i.e. ride quality with the 19" wheels, non-brembo basic brakes, manual shifter feel, etc.). Thanks!

Quick Reply: Sorry guys, I had to.