Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

So when does the Boss 428 or 429 come out?

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/10, 12:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why wait? Lets save up some money and build our own. Ford Racing sells engines up to 520 ci. I am not sure if that would actually could be made to fit a stang, but if you got creative, I am sure that you could stuff a very large engine in there. Getting 600 hp without supercharging would look neat, but I really do not think it would be all that useful. You would have to redo so many of the components that it really would not have all that much in common with a stang anymore, but it would look neat.

Oh, by the way, I would be careful about talking about global warming. The poor people who live in small countries like Tuvalu who will lose their home country because it will literally be swallowed up by the ocean might be offended. Actually, there really is global warming, and we do need to be concerned. There really is solid evidence of this. Peak oil is even more dangerous than global warming. I say that we all need to do our part. We should all buy as big of an engine as we can, and then use as much gas having fun as we can so that polititians and scientists will be forced to come up with solutions sooner. One thing that we can count on is that gas will never be that much higher than $5 to $7 a gallon, because if it did the economy would crumble to the point where it would force gas prices back there anyway. I say we embrace global warming and use it as a reason to get the most out of our cars, especially the really big block engines.
Old 12/19/10, 01:02 AM
GT Member

Yep. Global warming (and its irritable sister, global dimming) are well-documented realities, just like evolution. While the CAUSEs of global warming are up for discussion, there's no question whatsoever that we're warming up. Disappearing islands in the oceans, disappearing glaciers in the mountains and polar bears sitting on shore around Hudson Bay this winter instead of out on the ice hunting seals are all significant pointers.

It's no scam. Yes, there's a bucketload of politics involved and most folks are in it for their own financial gain. That doesn't make the problem itself a fallacy.

Now, I highly doubt we'll ever see seriously big-displacement engines coming out again. There's really little need for the displacement nowadays because the efficiency of the engines being produced is light years beyond anything they could do in the past. Twenty years ago, motorcycle manufacturers were working hard to get 100 HP/litre out of their engines. Auto manufacturers couldn't even dream of it happening.

Nowadays, cars putting out better than 100 HP/litre are not at all uncommon.
Old 12/19/10, 07:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Ford brought back our beloved road racing Boss (the 2012 Boss 302), so it's not out of the question to think a NASCAR Boss (Boss 429) could be under consideration, as well?
Although it's not likely for reasons stated it's not impossible. Never say never. Ford is on a roll and if the Boss 302 does as well as expected you know someone there is already thinking about this. If nothing else look at how well of a marketing vehicle the new Boss is. Two years from now when the Boss 302 program is winding down Ford will be looking for a new marketing vehicle...or maybe just a NASCAR specific special edition.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 12/19/10 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12/19/10, 12:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
Oh, by the way, I would be careful about talking about global warming. The poor people who live in small countries like Tuvalu who will lose their home country because it will literally be swallowed up by the ocean might be offended.
Those poor pitiful Tuvaluvians can feel offended by their debatable fate all they want; we Evil Americans had (and have) about as much to do with that as the earthquake & Tsunami that killed 200,000 a few years back in Asia (and yet I wouldn't be surprised if American charities are contributing more money to helping them than any other country on the planet). Mother nature is a b*tch, don't blame it on me.

Back in the 1970's the hysteria was that we were entering another ice age (also errantly attributed to man, i.e. anthropogenic). Our pollution was allegedly creating a barrier to sunlight and was causing the earth to slowly cool. That's what our top scientists were saying - I know, they taught me this in government school. We were going to run out of oil in just another decade or two, and something had to be done quickly. Being young and stupid I bought into it - I sold my high school car (ironically a V8 Ford product, a Cougar) and bought a 68-hp 4-cylinder Honda in anticipation of gasoline becoming scarce (I'd lived through 2 oil embargos & the lines that came with them).

Amazingly there was (and is) a lot more oil to be discovered, and despite the greenies not allowing any more refineries to be built, increases in efficiencies mostly fed demand. Here we are 35 years later, in the midst of a 5 year global temperature decline, and have billions of barrels of untapped reserves of oil right here in North America, yet those that want to make America ashamed of its heritage (instead of being proud of creating the greatest society in history) are still spewing their lies in our government schools. Sorry, I am not buying it and I resent others forcing it upon me. Global warming is NOT proven (except by self-confessed fraudulent "scientists"), and even if true, cannot be proven to be anthropogenic. How foolish to believe that what car I drive has more effect on our planet's temp than natural (and documented) common-cause variation by the giant fusion-reactor furnace called The Sun that provides 100% of the Earth's heat.

I am glad, BTW, for the irony that I am once again, 30 years later(!), driving a Ford V8 pony car. I don't want to waste natural resources any more than anyone else, but I see the current environmentalist agenda for what it is.
Old 12/19/10, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Back in the 1970's the hysteria was that we were entering another ice age (also errantly attributed to man, i.e. anthropogenic). Our pollution was allegedly creating a barrier to sunlight and was causing the earth to slowly cool. That's what our top scientists were saying - I know, they taught me this in government school.
Haha, we must be the same age.

When I tell younger people that back when I was growing up they produced records showing the Earth COOLING not heating and were afraid of the next Ice Age they look at you like you're from outer space.

We have come a long way from then in terms of manmade pollution ie littering, recycling, etc. which is a great thing. But personally I just think climate is cyclic and man has only a small effect on it. The most damaging "greenhouse gasses", water and methane, are beyond our control.
Old 12/19/10, 01:31 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Haha, we must be the same age.

When I tell younger people that back when I was growing up they produced records showing the Earth COOLING not heating and were afraid of the next Ice Age they look at you like you're from outer space.

We have come a long way from then in terms of manmade pollution ie littering, recycling, etc. which is a great thing. But personally I just think climate is cyclic and man has only a small effect on it. The most damaging "greenhouse gasses", water and methane, are beyond our control.

HS Class of 74 here. Its good to reduce pollution, but sunspots, ocean currents, and the evap cycle are beyond man's control.

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

By Charles Onians

Monday, 20 March 2000

Britain's winter ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: snow is starting to disappear from our lives.

Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain's culture, as warmer winters - which scientists are attributing to global climate change - produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries.

The first two months of 2000 were virtually free of significant snowfall in much of lowland Britain, and December brought only moderate snowfall in the South-east. It is the continuation of a trend that has been increasingly visible in the past 15 years: in the south of England, for instance, from 1970 to 1995 snow and sleet fell for an average of 3.7 days, while from 1988 to 1995 the average was 0.7 days. London's last substantial snowfall was in February 1991.

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

Ask Brits what they think now...

Originally Posted by trane
Yep. Global warming (and its irritable sister, global dimming) are well-documented realities, just like evolution.
Uncle monkey.

A big block Stang would be

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/19/10 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12/19/10, 01:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like we've got a bunch of old tinfoil hat wearin' folk in this thread!
Old 12/19/10, 01:41 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Overboost
Sounds like we've got a bunch of old tinfoil hat wearin' folk in this thread!
With age comes wisdom - about science and politics.

I'd think about tinfoil for some things but you can't get it. And aluminum foil is bad cause it causes Alzheimer's!

Old 12/19/10, 01:42 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
With age comes wisdom - about science and politics.

I'd think about tinfoil for some things but you can't get it. And aluminum foil is bad cause it causes Alzheimer's!

Old 12/19/10, 01:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Consider for a moment that the Boss 429 was conceived initially for NASCAR use. It was never quick on the street as it had crescent heads, camming, and carburetion set up for high speed ovals.

Fast forward to 2011 when Ford will replace the Fusion with Mustangs in NASCAR. This would be a great opportunity to capitalize on Mustang's return to NASCAR with some sort of big cubed engine and a special edition Boss model for the NASCAR crowd. While the 6.2L V8 in the 2011 Ford Trucks isn't big enough, I do remember reading about Don Bowles testing a 7.0L (roughly 429 cubic inch) V8 that looked based on the OHV 6.2L V8. Don is associated with Jack Roush, who just happens to do a lot of engineering for Ford.

Ford brought back our beloved road racing Boss (the 2012 Boss 302), so it's not out of the question to think a NASCAR Boss (Boss 429) could be under consideration, as well?
The heritage is definitely there, but what is the current displacement limit on NASCAR engines? 358ci?

No true 428/429 successor that way
Old 12/19/10, 01:57 PM
Post *****

RE: conspiracy - It is! And algore's carbon tax takeover and his scientific conspirators have been exposed! THEY LIED & GOT BUSTED!

And for the record for a previous post, many glaciers are growing. Glaciers are more a function of rain/snowfall than they are of air temp. In fact they can add their own temp factors. If global warming were true, there would be more seasonal rainfall from the evap cycle, which would lead to increased glacier growth (beyond their natural swing). As to which area of the world sees this, that depends more on solar activity/sunspots, ocean currents like El Nino & La Nino, and how the evaporative cycle plays out (affecting wind currents) as to which areas of the world see increasing glaciers and which areas of the world see glacial reduction.

For ex, North America's glaciers have been receding for over a century - long before algore was born, his book, his stint as vp, and his subsequent search for glory via the environment that led to his scam. Look up the Columbia Icefield's Athabasca Glacier in Banff Nat'l Park, Alberta. I've been there many times since '76 and they have documented the receding glacier since the 20's/30's.

Earth cycles are real. algore's myth isn't.

While a big block 428 would be great for nostalgia, with today's efficiencies in power and mileage, its just not needed.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/19/10 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12/19/10, 03:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
The heritage is definitely there, but what is the current displacement limit on NASCAR engines? 358ci?

No true 428/429 successor that way
Sorry, I don't like or watch NASCAR, so I'm not up on the rules. However, if 358ci is the current displacement max, then how about a modern interpretation of the 1971 Boss 351 then, instead?

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 12/19/10 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12/19/10, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back in the 1970's the hysteria was that we were entering another ice age (also errantly attributed to man, i.e. anthropogenic). Our pollution was allegedly creating a barrier to sunlight and was causing the earth to slowly cool. That's what our top scientists were saying - I know, they taught me this in government school.
I remember this from grade school, also. And the fact is, the earth WAS cooling at that time. From the 1890s to the 1940's the global temperature increased. Then it leveled off and dropped until about the 1980's. Then it leveled off and increased until about 2000. We seem to be in a holding pattern the last decade. Are we about to start another 20-40 year cooling period? I wouldn't place a bet either way. Most computer models did not predict that the last decade of temperatures would be pretty flat, so even the people who say they know what's going to happen do not.

On the original topic, though, I say leave the big blocks for the heavy-duty trucks. Weight is the enemy of agility and having a bigger, heavier engine in the Mustang is moving in the wrong direction.
Old 12/19/10, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Those poor pitiful Tuvaluvians can feel offended by their debatable fate all they want; we Evil Americans had (and have) about as much to do with that as the earthquake & Tsunami that killed 200,000 a few years back in Asia (and yet I wouldn't be surprised if American charities are contributing more money to helping them than any other country on the planet). Mother nature is a b*tch, don't blame it on me.

Back in the 1970's the hysteria was that we were entering another ice age (also errantly attributed to man, i.e. anthropogenic). Our pollution was allegedly creating a barrier to sunlight and was causing the earth to slowly cool. That's what our top scientists were saying - I know, they taught me this in government school. We were going to run out of oil in just another decade or two, and something had to be done quickly. Being young and stupid I bought into it - I sold my high school car (ironically a V8 Ford product, a Cougar) and bought a 68-hp 4-cylinder Honda in anticipation of gasoline becoming scarce (I'd lived through 2 oil embargos & the lines that came with them).

Amazingly there was (and is) a lot more oil to be discovered, and despite the greenies not allowing any more refineries to be built, increases in efficiencies mostly fed demand. Here we are 35 years later, in the midst of a 5 year global temperature decline, and have billions of barrels of untapped reserves of oil right here in North America, yet those that want to make America ashamed of its heritage (instead of being proud of creating the greatest society in history) are still spewing their lies in our government schools. Sorry, I am not buying it and I resent others forcing it upon me. Global warming is NOT proven (except by self-confessed fraudulent "scientists"), and even if true, cannot be proven to be anthropogenic. How foolish to believe that what car I drive has more effect on our planet's temp than natural (and documented) common-cause variation by the giant fusion-reactor furnace called The Sun that provides 100% of the Earth's heat.

I am glad, BTW, for the irony that I am once again, 30 years later(!), driving a Ford V8 pony car. I don't want to waste natural resources any more than anyone else, but I see the current environmentalist agenda for what it is.
I was half joking in the other post, but really scientists aresometimes wrong about things because they are working at the cutting edge of what we know. All in all though, given the record of science in the past 300 years, I am inclined to respect what the general scientific community has to say about a subject, even if I know that they might not be completely right yet. I do not mean to force you to think anything, but contrary to what you have said, global warming is accepted by the vast majority of the respected scientific community members. In regards to the peak oil thing, current reserves are somewhat accurate projections, but according to all practical means of extraction given today are going at as high a rate as they reasonably can. What you can expect from the future is this:

1. Many countries like the US ( which used to be a HUGE oil exporter) will go or have gone already from being net oil producing nations to being net oil importing nations. In Mexico, they found out this reality when their largest oil producing area started dropping faster than anyone expected. This will only add to the tensions about oil.

2. A rising world population is also increasing the amount of oil they use per capita. Transportation, farming, and industry all add to this. This further adds to the need for oil.

3. Although the amount of oil in the ground remains pretty decent for now, the ability to get it out at a sustainable rate will get even harder as the world demand starts to go up again. Global price spikes are already resulting from such small things as storms or strikes half a world away. These spikes will only get worse as the ability to absorb spikes in usage or availability gets less and less.

4. Cars are and will continue to be one of the first victims of the growing oil uncertainty. One reason for this is because it is much easier to make a car run on electricity, or run with less gas than it is to make a green ship. Toyota made the first solar powered cargo ship. The solar panels cover a very large part of the deck, cost millions of dollars, and provide less than 0.5% of the propulsion. Tell me, how do you make a green cargo ship? How about a semi, a train, a tractor, construction equipment??? While it is possible for some, it is not for others. Actually someone has come up with a green cargo ship. It is called the Mayflower.

To get back to the point, we are and will continue to be in a position where cars are being used to help accomodate for the growing fluxuations in the oil market. It is only natural because it is fairly easy to make cars do this, rather than boats, trains, big rigs, farm equipment, and construction equipment. It does not make economic or political sense to continue waisting such a valuable resource on cars. I am ordering a V8 because I want one. Do not worry though, it is not scientists who will force you to change what you are doing for global warming. It is polititians. They will do so, because it will increasingly becomw wise to do so as fuel either gets more expensive, or more volitile in price and availability.
Old 12/19/10, 06:23 PM

Since this thread has gotten way OT I have a very simple approach. Whether or not you believe in global warming not much is going to change while cheap oil is available. So lets use it up as quickly as we can. And while we are doing that lets use the cheap oil from the Middle East and save the oil in N. America for the very end when it will be VERY valuable.
Old 12/19/10, 09:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry, I don't like or watch NASCAR, so I'm not up on the rules. However, if 358ci is the current displacement, then about a modern interpretation of the 1971 Boss 351 then, instead?
I'm with you on that one.

And yes, a BOSS351 would work nicely...however any "Mustang" in NASCAR is a total farce to me since the cars are all the same chassis and have no grounding in production.
Old 12/19/10, 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some Folks aren't waiting...

That is an actual Boss 429 Engine in a new 2008 Mustang.

Woot! Woot!!

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
Why wait? Lets save up some money and build our own. Ford Racing sells engines up to 520 ci. I am not sure if that would actually could be made to fit a stang, but if you got creative, I am sure that you could stuff a very large engine in there. Getting 600 hp without supercharging would look neat, but I really do not think it would be all that useful. You would have to redo so many of the components that it really would not have all that much in common with a stang anymore, but it would look neat.

Oh, by the way, I would be careful about talking about global warming. The poor people who live in small countries like Tuvalu who will lose their home country because it will literally be swallowed up by the ocean might be offended. Actually, there really is global warming, and we do need to be concerned. There really is solid evidence of this. Peak oil is even more dangerous than global warming. I say that we all need to do our part. We should all buy as big of an engine as we can, and then use as much gas having fun as we can so that polititians and scientists will be forced to come up with solutions sooner. One thing that we can count on is that gas will never be that much higher than $5 to $7 a gallon, because if it did the economy would crumble to the point where it would force gas prices back there anyway. I say we embrace global warming and use it as a reason to get the most out of our cars, especially the really big block engines.
Attached Thumbnails So when does the Boss 428 or 429 come out?-boss429.jpg  
Old 12/19/10, 11:11 PM
Cobra Member

See, i told ya it was coming out!!! LOL

Old 12/19/10, 11:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Black GT500
Some Folks aren't waiting...

That is an actual Boss 429 Engine in a new 2008 Mustang.

Woot! Woot!!
I saw this one at the big, MCA Mustang Show in Bellevue, WA this past July and was totally amazed how cool it is.
Old 12/20/10, 08:33 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Come back on the 1st of April for some HUGE news on the BIG BOSS (ie: 429)

Quick Reply: So when does the Boss 428 or 429 come out?