Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Slight issue maybe with my 2013 MT82

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/12, 01:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight issue maybe with my 2013 MT82

so i have now about 200 miles on the car, i gave my friend a ride the other day and i took off in first gear normal and after 3k i floored it close to 7k and shifted into 2nd and floor a little more till about 4-5k and then stopped on a light, i actually had a hard time shifting into 2nd for some reason.

as i pulled up to a light i tried to shift into 1st 2nd or 3rd as i set on the light and it was going into gears really tight, as if the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way, even tho i had the clutch to the floor and yes i have been driving a stick for 10-15 years.

right now the car drives fine and everything shifts as it was before, it seemed like i put some load on the MT82 and it gave me this issue and I'm not sure if its because it didn't break in yet and things are tight when you put stress on them, or if i put stress on it to soon. my first 200 miles i tried to go through all the gears and shift into lower gears as I'm slowing down, in order to break things in.

just wondering if any of you guys ever had something similar?
Old 4/30/12, 01:34 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the mt82 isnt like the older cars. You have to shift clean and it takes some time getting used to it. I would let the car break in more before going to crazy with the redlines and such.
Old 4/30/12, 01:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
the mt82 isnt like the older cars. You have to shift clean and it takes some time getting used to it. I would let the car break in more before going to crazy with the redlines and such.
I agree, as of right now (fingers crossed) my MT82 has gotten alittle better,but I never do anything till the trannys warm.
As Flag has mentioned give it some miles,
Old 4/30/12, 02:02 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The reason is the the shifter is not bolted into the housing of the trans. It has that dumb linkage. So it's as rigid of a feel compared to what most people are accustomed to. I believe the MGW shifter solved this issue about as good as its going to get with this trans. The stock shifter has a bracket and rubber mounts that will flex too much for my taste. Get used to shifting it or upgrade.
Old 4/30/12, 02:28 AM
Bullitt Member

it would shift just fine and i put some load on it before and it was fine, but this time it felt like i had to force it in, into any of the gears for some reason.
Old 4/30/12, 04:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fords dandy rear mount to the shifter to body, basically rest inside this rubber mount, works great for isolating noise but terrible design otherwise.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120430_063352.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  21.7 KB
Old 4/30/12, 06:27 AM
V6 Member

That picture cracks me up every time I see it! Hard to believe soemthing cheesy like that goes into a production vehicle, let alone a Mustang. Seeing that pic, and then seeing what the MGW solution looks like, tells you all you need to know about shifter design.
Old 4/30/12, 07:41 AM
V6 Member

Now you did it, you mostly fried your synchros.... just kidding!

If I am at a stop and my first attempt to put it in first meets a little resistance, I simply move the shift back to neutral and try again. This usually lets the second try slip right in. All manual transmissions I have had in the past worked this way to. I think it has something to do with where the synchros landed when they stop spinning.

And +1 on other members advice on giving it some time to break in before trying to impress with the WOT stuff. I've noticed mine has become better with time.
Old 4/30/12, 08:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been thoroughly impressed with the 2013 shifting so far. My '05 was like shifting through bricks and, though the clutch was lighter in my '07, I often had to shift into another gear & back again for 2nd. This '13 has a super light clutch pedal and very smooth shifting in all gears so far, knock on wood.
Old 5/1/12, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

how many miles does it take before i can start putting some load on the shifts?
Old 5/1/12, 06:03 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

book in glove box. I would say do not go to crazy before the first oil change(2000 miles).
Old 5/1/12, 06:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
book in glove box. I would say do not go to crazy before the first oil change(2000 miles).
Thats what Im doing...unless 5000RPM is crazy. Its just so easy to get there.
Old 5/1/12, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never been real thrilled with the stock shifter in this car. It works ok for daily usage still a bit on the flimsy side though. I have 18K on the car now and I'm still not confident in this POS. It's so vague when trying to speed shift that I almost never do it.
Ordered the MGW tonight.
Old 5/1/12, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

The MT82 does take some time getting used too. Every car has its own personality in my view so it always takes me a little time to adapt to a car. From what I've learned, this MT doesn't like to be rushed when shifting in general, especially under 2500 rpm. The clunkiness when stopped and sometimes into 2nd I've just gotten so used to I dont notice it anymore. Take the time to learn the way this MT works and you'll have no problems. I'm still on the stock shifter / bracket and I've adapted my driving style so well that a new shifter might actually mess my style up.
Old 5/1/12, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with everyone else, the stock shifter is fine for every day driving, but push it and it doesn't like anything less than perfection. I'm saving for the MGW. The one thing I found that helped, not cured, but helped, was when I changed the trans fluid at 500 miles. My wife drove the car one time and commented on the difficulty shifting into second gear. After I put Red Line MTL in it, it really helped the shift feel, enough for my wife to comment on it the next time she drove it. YMMV, but I'm a believer in good fluids.
Old 5/1/12, 11:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
I agree with everyone else, the stock shifter is fine for every day driving, but push it and it doesn't like anything less than perfection. I'm saving for the MGW. The one thing I found that helped, not cured, but helped, was when I changed the trans fluid at 500 miles. My wife drove the car one time and commented on the difficulty shifting into second gear. After I put Red Line MTL in it, it really helped the shift feel, enough for my wife to comment on it the next time she drove it. YMMV, but I'm a believer in good fluids.
Do you know the weight that ford uses and what weight is the Red Line MTL? why not use Royal purple?

I'm thinking about doing a trans oil drain myself, but not sure if i need to go thinner or thicker
Old 5/2/12, 12:19 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I think you should just wait and get more used to the mt82 before start changing stuff. The fluid is not going to change learning curve. I have owned a new mustang every year since 2006 and it took me some getting used to. Also keep in mind I DD my cars in all weather about 16k per year.
Old 5/2/12, 12:21 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you should just wait and get more used to the mt82 before start changing stuff. The fluid is not going to change learning curve. I have owned a new mustang every year since 2006 and it took me some getting used to. Also keep in mind I DD my cars in all weather about 16k per year.
Shifter, right now don't wait
Old 5/2/12, 09:09 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nickt916
so i have now about 200 miles on the car, i gave my friend a ride the other day and i took off in first gear normal and after 3k i floored it close to 7k and shifted into 2nd and floor a little more till about 4-5k and then stopped on a light, i actually had a hard time shifting into 2nd for some reason.
as i pulled up to a light i tried to shift into 1st 2nd or 3rd as i set on the light and it was going into gears really tight, as if the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way, even tho i had the clutch to the floor and yes i have been driving a stick for 10-15 years.
right now the car drives fine and everything shifts as it was before, it seemed like i put some load on the MT82 and it gave me this issue and I'm not sure if its because it didn't break in yet and things are tight when you put stress on them, or if i put stress on it to soon. my first 200 miles i tried to go through all the gears and shift into lower gears as I'm slowing down, in order to break things in.
Hello nick916,

Congrats on your new ride! If you feel uneasy about this, please bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer so they can check it out for you and make sure nothing else is going on. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 5/2/12, 09:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Things to do for a trouble Free MT-82:

1) Unplug Skip Shift Solenoid- I did this when I got it home from dealer.
2) Replace Shifter (I went with AM)
3) Replace Bushing (I went with Steeda)

Have around 1800 miles on the car now ... shifting is like silk. The gate is VERY close and takes a little getting used to. Make sure your shifts are nice and perpindicular .. not pulling towards or away from you when going into gear.

Quick Reply: Slight issue maybe with my 2013 MT82