Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Skip Shift Questions

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/10, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skip Shift Questions

Okay, skip shift in the new Mustang makes you shift from 1st to 4th under certain speeds for MPG reasons. Now, what if you start the car off in 2nd instead of 1st? I like the start off in 2nd sometimes. Usually when I'm first at a stoplight, I take off in 2nd. Would it lock out 3rd gear and cause me to bang the shifter into a closed gate?
Old 1/14/10, 10:53 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Wow. I always thought Skip Shift was an automatic transmission only kind of deal.

Edit:NVM Shows what I know.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 1/14/10 at 10:56 PM.
Old 1/14/10, 10:59 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight_Show_...verride/39182/

Looks like a mod will be required if the GM and Ford are similar.
Old 1/15/10, 07:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Or get a tune to disable it :P
hahah

Hope its a setting that can be changed.
Old 1/15/10, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Okay, skip shift in the new Mustang makes you shift from 1st to 4th under certain speeds for MPG reasons. Now, what if you start the car off in 2nd instead of 1st? I like the start off in 2nd sometimes. Usually when I'm first at a stoplight, I take off in 2nd. Would it lock out 3rd gear and cause me to bang the shifter into a closed gate?
I'm pretty sure that if you start out in second gear skip shift will not be activated. And if it's programmed anything like in my 2000 Corvette, you will rarely have it kick in anyway.
Old 1/15/10, 09:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I know the dodge challenger has that and there is a fix for it. Skip shift eliminator
Old 1/15/10, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys. I had a 2006 GTO for a while, it had skip shift. Thought some folks might be interested in seeing the tech specs for the skip shift on it's T56 tranny. The one for the MT82 might be similar.

From the service manual:

Skip Shift Description and Operation
The skip shift solenoid is a performance feature which forces the driver to shift from first gear to fourth gear during light acceleration and low engine load conditions. This feature is used to ensure good fuel economy and compliance with federal economy standards. The skip shift system consist of the following components:

The powertrain control module (PCM)
The skip shift solenoid
The skip shift lamp
With the ignition ON, battery voltage is supplied directly to the skip shift solenoid. The PCM controls the solenoid by grounding the control circuit. When the skip shift system is active the PCM also grounds the control circuit of the skip shift lamp. The lamp illuminates to inform the driver that the 1-4 skip shift is engaged. The PCM determines when the skip shift system is active when the following parameters are met:

The vehicle speed is between 24-31 km/h (15-19 mph).
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is greater than 77°C (171°F).
The barometric pressure (BARO) is greater than 76 kPa.
The accelerator pedal position (APP) is less than 26 percent.
When the conditions are met the PCM grounds the skip shift solenoid control circuit. This energizes the skip shift solenoid and mechanically blocks the gear shift lever from going into the second or third gear positions. When the driver pulls back on the shift lever with the system enabled, the transmission will go into fourth gear.

When the conditions for skip shift engagement are no longer met the PCM disables the skip shift solenoid, allowing the driver to use second and third gears.

Once the skip shift solenoid is enabled the system will not be re-enabled until the vehicle speed returns to 0 km/h (0 mph) and the conditions for enabling skip shift solenoid are met.

Hope ya'll find this interesting.
Old 1/15/10, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool. Thanks for the answers.
Old 1/15/10, 01:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

So low rev, low RPM is when it comes on? It trys to keep you from lugging the engine? Maybe that's a good thing?

Originally Posted by whysoserious
Hey guys. I had a 2006 GTO for a while, it had skip shift. Thought some folks might be interested in seeing the tech specs for the skip shift on it's T56 tranny. The one for the MT82 might be similar.

From the service manual:

Skip Shift Description and Operation
The skip shift solenoid is a performance feature which forces the driver to shift from first gear to fourth gear during light acceleration and low engine load conditions. This feature is used to ensure good fuel economy and compliance with federal economy standards. The skip shift system consist of the following components:

The powertrain control module (PCM)
The skip shift solenoid
The skip shift lamp
With the ignition ON, battery voltage is supplied directly to the skip shift solenoid. The PCM controls the solenoid by grounding the control circuit. When the skip shift system is active the PCM also grounds the control circuit of the skip shift lamp. The lamp illuminates to inform the driver that the 1-4 skip shift is engaged. The PCM determines when the skip shift system is active when the following parameters are met:

The vehicle speed is between 24-31 km/h (15-19 mph).
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is greater than 77°C (171°F).
The barometric pressure (BARO) is greater than 76 kPa.
The accelerator pedal position (APP) is less than 26 percent.
When the conditions are met the PCM grounds the skip shift solenoid control circuit. This energizes the skip shift solenoid and mechanically blocks the gear shift lever from going into the second or third gear positions. When the driver pulls back on the shift lever with the system enabled, the transmission will go into fourth gear.

When the conditions for skip shift engagement are no longer met the PCM disables the skip shift solenoid, allowing the driver to use second and third gears.

Once the skip shift solenoid is enabled the system will not be re-enabled until the vehicle speed returns to 0 km/h (0 mph) and the conditions for enabling skip shift solenoid are met.

Hope ya'll find this interesting.
Old 1/15/10, 02:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Up Close

Premier Shifter
Attached Thumbnails Skip Shift Questions-6speed.jpg  
Old 1/15/10, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
So low rev, low RPM is when it comes on? It trys to keep you from lugging the engine? Maybe that's a good thing?
Not quite. As I understand lugging the engine is when you are in a particular gear moving along and below say 1000 RPMs, i.e. it's time to upshift. Skip shift sort of enables lugging though because you go from 1st to 4th at a speed and RPM that you would otherwise would not. In other words if I was driving down a 25 mph zone I would not have the car in 4th gear, but this is what skip shift makes you do. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 1/15/10, 03:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Not quite. As I understand lugging the engine is when you are in a particular gear moving along and below say 1000 RPMs, i.e. it's time to upshift. Skip shift sort of enables lugging though because you go from 1st to 4th at a speed and RPM that you would otherwise would not. In other words if I was driving down a 25 mph zone I would not have the car in 4th gear, but this is what skip shift makes you do. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Exactly my thoughts. On the surface, skipshift sounds like it would not be very good for the mechanical components of the car.
Old 1/15/10, 07:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Exactly my thoughts. On the surface, skipshift sounds like it would not be very good for the mechanical components of the car.
You can only put it on cars with a strong drivetrain and LOTS of torque.
Without decent low end torque it can damage things.
The bottom line is if 4th feels bad then downshift from there.
Old 1/15/10, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is this a done deal that the 5.0 6-speed manual will have the skip shift system, or speculation?

It stinks if that's the case. So annoying. Yes, I know you can bypass it with an eliminator kit for about $30, but I just hate to have to go through that.

There are a ton of threads on the camaro5.com forum about the GM skip shift system, and all kinds of opinions. Some guys claim it never engages for them, while others say it engages when they don't expect it to, or want it to. I do have a friend with a Victory Red SS, and he said that his definitely engages when he's babying the car, but it is not an issue when driving aggressively. And he claims that it hasn't bugged him yet to make him buy the eliminator kit - but he is thinking about it nonetheless.

The purpose of the skip shift is to increase gas mileage, so the car avoids the gas guzzler tax and appears more politically correct with the EPA mileage on the window sticker. Ironically, however, at least according to the Camaro5.com forums, many people end up driving the car harder in first gear than they normally would so the skip shift system doesn't engage - and consequently, they don't get the gas mileage they would if the skip shift system wasn't on the car!

It's one of those things that looks good to the corporate suits on paper, but fails miserably in practice...
Old 1/15/10, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

It will have the skip shift feature. It's noted in the new 5.0 magazine. I agree with everyone else on its practicality. When I had the GTO I would always end up gunning 1st so that I could avoid the lock out, thus negating any potential fuel savings as a result of the feature.
Old 1/15/10, 09:53 PM
FR500 Member

The dreaded "GAGS". That's something Ford did not have to copy from its competition. Must have been a bone they threw to the aftermarket skip-shift eliminator kit manufacturers/electronic tuners.
Old 1/15/10, 10:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It will have the skip shift feature. It's noted in the new 5.0 magazine. I agree with everyone else on its practicality. When I had the GTO I would always end up gunning 1st so that I could avoid the lock out, thus negating any potential fuel savings as a result of the feature.
Exactly how I figured I, and everyone else, would get around it. But you have to admit if it helps to not get a gas guzzler tax, I'm okay with doing an eliminator kit. Not like most of us weren't going to get a short shifter anyways!
Old 1/16/10, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The 6 speed Challengers have skip shift.

When I drove one, that was a deal breaker although the eliminator kit was about $50.

Skip shift is REALLY annoying unless you are on the car, like others have said..
Old 1/16/10, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Lugging the engine is shifting into top gear (say 4th) and having WAY below the power band.

I don't get skip shift. It forces the engine to lug and that actually eats up more gas. Lugging increases load and without gobbs of torque, like a diesel, it;s hard on the engine.

There must be a small window of increased mileage to warrant skip shift. Or it was some bureaucrats great idea.

Last edited by 825LTRGT; 1/16/10 at 11:10 AM.
Old 1/16/10, 11:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
Lugging the engine is shifting into top gear (say 4th) and having WAY below the power band.

I don't get skip shift. It forces the engine to lug and that actually eats up more gas. Lugging increases load and without gobbs of torque, like a diesel, it;s hard on the engine.

There must be a small window of increased mileage to warrant skip shift. Or it was some bureaucrats great idea.
Exactly what I thought of it all along. I don't get it. I agree, there has to be a very small window of increased MPG or they wouldn't include this "feature".

Quick Reply: Skip Shift Questions