Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/14, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sirius Radio

So how (or do you) pay for Sirius radio? I still have a month left on my trial sub, and I have heard of people getting offers for only $5\month.
Old 2/9/14, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like the quality of sound that comes from sat radio. It has a tin can sound to me. I did not renew and really never used it when it was on. I use panora on my phone via Bluetooth
Old 2/9/14, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm still in the trial but also want to know. I plan to renew I like a lot of the stations
Old 2/9/14, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sometimes you can find specials or sales online to subscribe. I'm not currently subscribed and get offers from them about every 3 months to come back. There have also been a ton of posts about people calling to cancel at the end of their subscription and being offered 50% off to keep the service.

For me, Sirius wasn't worth it. When I get out of town where I lose reception, it is in the woods or in the mountains and Sirius reception is very poor in those areas. Better for me to just use the USB media instead.
Old 2/9/14, 07:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When your freebie period gets close to the end, they will be calling you to try and sell you on a new subscription. You should act like you don't want it, tell them you don't think it's worth the money. They will then start dropping the price trying to get you on the hook. Tell them you will think it over, GOODBYE!
They will call back and lower the price some more, when it gets down to about $65-$70 a year then you can bite. Yearly is going to get the best price.

Way back, they used to sell lifetime subscriptions, my dad bought his back then and hasn't paid since, about 8 or 10 years ago.
Old 2/9/14, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought a 64 gig USB & leave it plugged into the armrest. That holds all the music I need.
Old 2/9/14, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We wait for them to call near the end of the trail period. We got a deal for $36 for 6 months. We also got a mailing from them. It has your radio number in it. You can make an online account. But waiting for them to call is best.
Old 2/10/14, 05:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Mama
We wait for them to call near the end of the trail period. We got a deal for $36 for 6 months. We also got a mailing from them. It has your radio number in it. You can make an online account. But waiting for them to call is best.
Unless you have already renewed with them. Yes, the first time your freebee subscription ends, they call you. You play dumb, until they offer you a subscription price you accept. The catch to this is they do an "auto-bill" that you have to agree to. If you forget to cancel the subscription 30 days before this auto-billing, you get charged the regular full rate for the next year.

So, yes, play dumb. Get the discounted rate. Then write the renew date down, call before they auto-bill, and play dumb again. You'll get away with this for about 2 to 3 renewals.

And these renewals are good for 6 months, not a year.

Last edited by Bucko; 2/10/14 at 12:33 PM.
Old 2/10/14, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I pay $66 / quarter for Sirius Select plus Internet Radio. I like Sirius because when I travel I don't have to hunt for stations with music I like.
Old 2/10/14, 06:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sirius always sounds like AM radio to me ... I wouldn't pay for that. I do pay for Weather and Traffic on my Electronics Package .. but no music service.
Old 2/10/14, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have three vehicles with Sirius. We let the subscriptions run out on all three. Sirius will sent you mailings for their special of less than 5$ a month. I also get emails too. I don't turn it back on because Sirius turns your service on periodically during the year. I get email updates when they are turning the service back on. And the bonus is that they turn the service on for typically two weeks at a clip. Well, if they do this four or five times a year, why do I need to subscribe? It's just like cable or dish....it's the same stuff over and over again. By the time they turn the service back on for two weeks I get to hear new music. I think of it as a win win for me.

Plus, I use my USB and get my music off of youtube. That is me being frugal. lol
Old 2/10/14, 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
Unless you have already renewed with them. Yes, the first time your freebee subscription ends, they call you. You play dumb, untill they offer you a subscription price you accept. The catch to this is they do an "auto-bill" that you have to agree to. If you forget to cancell the subscription 30 days before this auto-billing, you get charged the regualr full rate for the next year.

So, yes, play dumb. Get the discounted rate. Then write the renew date down, call before they auto-bill, and play dumb again. You'll get away with this for about 2 to 3 renewals.

And these renewals are good for 6 months, not a year.

I did not know that. My husband made this deal. He only said it was $36 for 6 months. Did not tell me about the other. He just renewed mine for the $36. We just got auto billed for his truck for $107 for 6 months. I would not have made that deal. We also have another car with it. He loves it, thinks it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can live without it.
Old 2/10/14, 12:18 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

You can get up to 75% off.

They are sending me offer for 73% off right now.
Old 2/10/14, 12:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CVH
You can get up to 75% off.

They are sending me offer for 73% off right now.
For 6 months I'll bet, and you have to agree to "auto-bill" to get that teaser offer.

If you take it, be sure to jot down the renew date, then call 30 days before the service expires to prevent the auto billing for renewal. Then you can negotiate for another cheap 6 months. As I mentioned, you can get away with this 2, maybe 3 times.

The only way you get the teaser rates is to agree to auto billing when the 6 months expire. They have to, and do tell you on the phone when you agree to the low rate, that they will be auto billing you for the next renewal. You have to agree. If you do not agree to auto billing, you do not get the cheap renewal. This is how they "get you". The majority of folks forget when the cheap 6 month rate expires, and next thing they know, they got hit with a large, regular rate renewal. Of course you can call and cancel after they have auto billed you, and get a refund, but only for the remainder of the contract (you get charged daily for any service you used).

Last edited by Bucko; 2/10/14 at 12:56 PM.
Old 2/10/14, 02:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Yep, as others have said, I highly doubt more than 50% of people who renew their Sirius subscriptions pay full price. Call, deal with the pain of a salesperson for a few minutes and get yourself a better offer.
Old 2/10/14, 03:08 PM
GT Member

Most people do get the calls or letters close to the end of the 6 months. They never contacted me. I registered the radio online the I finally got mailings about a sale price of 25/5mo.
Old 2/10/14, 04:14 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
For 6 months I'll bet, and you have to agree to "auto-bill" to get that teaser offer.

If you take it, be sure to jot down the renew date, then call 30 days before the service expires to prevent the auto billing for renewal. Then you can negotiate for another cheap 6 months. As I mentioned, you can get away with this 2, maybe 3 times.

The only way you get the teaser rates is to agree to auto billing when the 6 months expire. They have to, and do tell you on the phone when you agree to the low rate, that they will be auto billing you for the next renewal. You have to agree. If you do not agree to auto billing, you do not get the cheap renewal. This is how they "get you". The majority of folks forget when the cheap 6 month rate expires, and next thing they know, they got hit with a large, regular rate renewal. Of course you can call and cancel after they have auto billed you, and get a refund, but only for the remainder of the contract (you get charged daily for any service you used).
They have always sent me out reminders and emails. Excessive emails and mail.
Old 2/10/14, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Got an offer today for $20 dollars for 6 months... probably wont take em up on it though last time I used the free trial for 2-3 months they gave me it only worked once in awhile and only gave me like 15 channels half were talkshow crap.
Old 2/10/14, 07:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good info, thanks. Will renew for our Fusion, as wife likes it for trips. But I will haggle for a better renewal rate. No Sirius for the Boss, but not needed there.
Old 2/10/14, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 6 month trial ended in November. They've sent me dozens of fliers and have tried to call my cell a bajillion times since.

Pandora is MUCH better sound quality- and free.

About a week ago, ALL my SiriusXM stuff started mysteriously working again (the only way I knew it was the GPS traffic meter started indicating traffic volume again). Sure enough, the weather and all the other parts of SiriusXM are working again. I'm going to be double-checking my statements to make sure I'm not getting billed (I don't think they ever got my credit card info- unless you have to give that when you take delivery on the car... I don't remember that being the case though).

Quick Reply: Sirius Radio